1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The panic room

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Seany boy!!!, May 4, 2002.

1. Seany boy!!!

Seany boy!!!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Went to see it today. To slow,and the ending was a bit flat. Middle of the road stuff.

2. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Worst review ever! :rolleyes: :D

3. Seany boy!!!

Seany boy!!!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Shut up! or i'll tell you the ending:mad: :)

I'll tell you what was good though, the opening cast&crew credits. when you see it,you'll know what i mean :rolleyes:

4. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    David Fincher is the best in the business at credit sequences - eg Se7en & Fight Club

I can't believe it is as bad as you are saying. David Fincher is one of the best Directors out there, and the trailer looks amazing!

5. Seany boy!!!

Seany boy!!!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You may like it. it was ok, but don't expect anything like 7 lexy boy. You ain't gonna get it. The bad guys are not bad enough, and foster is not scared enough, it's like home alone for adults:rolleyes:

6. geenuis

geenuis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oops, i told some people to go and see it cuz i read alot of good stuff on it, they watched it tonite. I hope it isn't as bad as u make it sound otherise im in for it!

Is forest whittaker a real naff baddy?, as he looks to be one in the trailors.

7. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think Forest Whittaker is naff at everything. :devil:

8. Seany boy!!!

Seany boy!!!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    None of them were hardly alan rickman, or john lithgo, (i like forest myself) but it's not a bad film-it's just not great. But that's just me. It's not up there with 7 or fight club imho.

Hears a reviw from the guardian : Myself and Diane (the ball and chain) feel much the same way about it (not influenced by it)

Panic Room

Peter Bradshaw
    Friday May 3, 2002

The main panic you'll feel is being trapped inside a small, airless, overhyped movie with no prospect of being allowed out for a good couple of hours. Jodie Foster and her mini-me daughter move into an eccentric Manhattan townhouse after her divorce - and it's got a very strange feature: a fully functioning bunker to retreat into when violent burglars come a-calling. Which they do. Director David Fincher trundles out his trademark sub-atomic swoops through walls and floors, and some by-the-numbers tension/shocker moments that function like snooze-alarms in the general creeping dullness.

As so often, Jodie Foster is a bafflingly prim and solemn screen presence who somehow leaches the energy and suppleness out of a film. But this movie is in any case dotted with hilarious offences against plausibility. For some reason, the utterly impregnable room, with its elaborate hi-tech ventilation system, has a manky old length of pipe leading directly out into the street, handy for flashing SOS messages through. And the high point comes when Jodie Foster - trapped, but sensing that the main phone line is still working - wrenches the intercom phone handset out of the wall and ingeniously "taps it into" the phone system's exposed wire to call the cops. Yeah, right. Perhaps for an encore, she can set up a fax, internet and cable-TV connection with a length of twine and an old Fairy Liquid bottle.

9. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    "dont compare to fight club or seven"

I wasnt intending too, and dont see why people would. I went and saw it today and really enjoyed it. I wasnt expecting it to be as good as fight club, and it wasnt, but that said still a good show and one for the dvd collection later in the year !

cheers,

nige

10. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    and dont see why people would

Because it's by the same director and surely people will have certain expectations after those two films.

11. Seany boy!!!

Seany boy!!!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I never knew it was before i watched it. So just wanted to see a really good film,but it's just an average film, very average

12. andyp

andyp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I quite enjoyed it, with the exception of the bloody Mission Impossible 2 style 'dynamic' camera manipulation!

Andy P.

13. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    Title Credits are great on this film. I was hpnotised by them...great!

Got to disagree with the review though. I'd heard it was supposed to be slow and not exciting but I actually found it quite gripping. There were a couple of inconsistencies which are required if it was to be entertaining but other than that I enjoyed it.

The best bit of the trip though had to be the trailer for Spiderman! Looks really really cool.....

Gordon

14. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    I enjoyed Panic Room too. All the trademark Fincher stylistics are there, just employed in a different way to his most popular films. I felt it played quite a lot like The Game and was just as gripped all the way through.

Gotta agree about that opening credit sequence.:eek:

15. johnnyboy

johnnyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I loved it, great work from Fincher, definitely a thinking man's movie.

16. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    saw it last night, will probably have forgotten it by tonight.

I like JF, and think forest whittaker is great.
    But forest is hardly scary baddey material.

So I never really got worried, or jumped, or scared or concerned. I just watched.

Now fight club, that is a film!

17. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Now, maybe I missed something....but I thought the whole point of Forrest Whittaker's character was that he wasn't scary. He went into a robbery job expecting an empty house and didn't really have the wherewithall to cope too well with the botched attempt at carrying it off. Basically, he wasn't a hardened criminal, just a fairly regular guy looking for some no-risk easy cash to improve the lives of his kids.

Not that it makes much difference to someone that didn't like the film anyway though, I guess.

18. Matt

Matt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I'd say it was 'just' a popcorn flick made by a very creative director that had some good performances. Nothing earthshattering but a pretty decent thriller. I'ts pretty formulaic with the usual mix of criminals, idiot, psycho and sympathetic but some fantastic camera work in a confined space of the house, and has already been mentioned a fantastic title sequence, i really look forard to seeing the Making the Titles Extra that is bound to be on the DVD.

19. Seany boy!!!

Seany boy!!!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thinking mans movie it aint IMHO, just look what went on with the phone and the air vent:rolleyes: Good film, not a great film. And not up 2 his last 2.

20. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to see Panic Room-but must admit to being put-off by the consistently cack Jodie Foster and the mumbling Forrest Whittaker.

Fincher...uuummmm....Seven-not bad,Fight Club-o.k.ish...The Game-loved it.
    Doug:)

21. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I just got back from seeing it tonight, and I loved it. One of the most stylish films in years.

Douglas - Forrest Whittaker did not mumble - get your ears tested! :rolleyes: :D

22. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Yeah, Forest wasn't meant to be scary, his character was trapped in a situation he didn't create, etc...

But that meant no one in the film was scary !

i didn't go to see a film called panic room, where the most evil villain was a tw&t with a balaclavour on his head for most of the film!

SPOILER

Just becuase a baddie shoots someone in the back unexpectedly doesn't make an audience fear him!

The biggest panic I had was Jodie might trap a fingernail in the sliding door!

23. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Went to see Panic Room over the weekend and thought it was very average. The baddies reminded more of Daniel Stern & Joe Pesci from Home Alone - I kept waiting for Macauley Culkin to pop out from behind the steel door and hit them with a swinging paint tin!

SPOILER

The ending on the park bench was pointless. Raoul was a joke, how he managed to crawl back up the stairs after being sledgehammered in the face over a two story balcony is beyond me! :D

24. Seany boy!!!

Seany boy!!!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was not worried about them throughout the hole film.so no supence, So dull. and like i said before,and as groundy said. It's like home alone for adults :rolleyes: Very average.

25. jag

jag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, a decent film if only because of some great camerawork. Watchable, but not a must-see film.

26. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The baddies were far too reminiscent of the Home Alone films (the flying propane cylinder?) but it should be remembered that at least until the mid-part of the film, they were only there for the money.

Whittaker's character goes to great lenghts to point out that he's NOT scary and NOT ever going to hurt anyone!

Jared Leto's character is just a whiner and the Yoakum character, who *could* have been developed to be scary, finally becomes such an over the top amoral, homicidal maniac as to ultimately become comical.

That said, for a film that is close to two hours long with around 99.5% of it taking place in ONE house, I think Fincher did an OK job. Some of the camera work, when you actually think about how it must have been done, is without parallel.

Also needs to be said, good as Fight Club is/was, Fincher needs the odd box office hit, 'mainstream' film in order to secure decent budgets for his next less-than-centre ventures.