The Panasonic TX-P42U30B Owner's Thread

EmperorSid3116

Standard Member
Reaction score
The thread for those who own the Panasonic TX-P42U30B 1080p 600Hz HDTV! :D I am very impressed with the TV so far. For the price, it's very good! :thumbsup:

Freeview HD, Blu-ray and Wii all look great (but the Wii does have very jaggy edges and lines that cannot be avoided). One problem I have noticed: floating blacks. Not a huge issue, just an observation I have picked up. :)

Currently breaking in mine for 100hrs using a break-in dvd. I will post a full review once I have properly set it up - the picture does look quite good though. :smashin:

Have had mine for a few weeks and it's fantastic! I have noticed the jaggy edges on the xbox and PS3 aswell. The picture on Blu-Ray is brilliant! I have just finished watching Avatar in Blu-ray and the colours look so vibrant and lush!

Currently breaking in mine for 100hrs using a break-in dvd. I will post a full review once I have properly set it up - the picture does look quite good though. :smashin:

Finally broken in and set up ! :thumbsup:

The TV is excellent for the price, I have an early 1080 42 inch Toshiba LCD bought in 2006 and the colours/black levels are far superior with excellent response time and no motion smear.

The screen is reflective but no worse than any CRT, if you are used to watching an LCD in a bright room situation it might be a bit of a shock as you can see yourself - I watched SD TV in full sunshine coming into the room away from the TV and it wasn't too disturbing. I use it in a darkened room with a blind so no really issues.

Blu ray performance is excellent with a nice crisp picture and very bright colours, freeview SD picture is one the best I have seen on a larger HD TV - I cannot comment on Freeview HD until September after DSO - the Lichfield DVB-T2 signal is too weak even though I can see the transmitter out my bedroom window at night :( Signal is directed towards Brum apparently.

PS3 games are clean and very detailed using the games mode - no jagged lines in 1080p output mode. Most games are 720p so it might be the reduced resolution some people have complained about.

PS2 looks smart on component input but this console is far from HD.

For the old schoolers, RGB scart provides a relatively good image - if you are still using this to feed dvd/tv/satellite I would recommend an upgrade to HDMI. Original xbox picture is the best I have seem out of all my tv's.

Viera SD socket on side can play stuff straight from an SD card - audio video & piccies.

piccies - well it works (jpeg only). Don't expect much detail from a 2 mega pixel display.

audio - mp3/aac files - sound is very good considering the speakers.

video - plays mpeg1/2 with either dd/mpeg sound. MP4/MOV with H.264 video. No divx/xvid compatibility. Excellent video from my kodak ki8 hd camera plays 1080p@30hz and even 720p@60hz video.

First plasma after various lcd tv's, technology is totally different and so is the style of image displayed so it is difficult to directly compare to lcd. I think the purchase was a good one and I would buy another in the future.

After looking around I also decided to run in the plasma for over 100hrs using the burn-in dvd in dynamic mode. This reduces the chances of IR (image retention) especially as I watch a lot of BBC News and play PS3.
It is recommended by Panasonic not to watch too much heavily DOG'ed channels with logos and scrollbars for the first 100 hours or windowed movies.

No IR so far.

I will keep you posted after a few weeks running.

DJ

Finally broken in and set up ! :thumbsup:

The TV is excellent for the price, I have an early 1080 42 inch Toshiba LCD bought in 2006 and the colours/black levels are far superior with excellent response time and no motion smear.

The screen is reflective but no worse than any CRT, if you are used to watching an LCD in a bright room situation it might be a bit of a shock as you can see yourself - I watched SD TV in full sunshine coming into the room away from the TV and it wasn't too disturbing. I use it in a darkened room with a blind so no really issues.

Blu ray performance is excellent with a nice crisp picture and very bright colours, freeview SD picture is one the best I have seen on a larger HD TV - I cannot comment on Freeview HD until September after DSO - the Lichfield DVB-T2 signal is too weak even though I can see the transmitter out my bedroom window at night :( Signal is directed towards Brum apparently.

PS3 games are clean and very detailed using the games mode - no jagged lines in 1080p output mode. Most games are 720p so it might be the reduced resolution some people have complained about.

PS2 looks smart on component input but this console is far from HD.

For the old schoolers, RGB scart provides a relatively good image - if you are still using this to feed dvd/tv/satellite I would recommend an upgrade to HDMI. Original xbox picture is the best I have seem out of all my tv's.

Viera SD socket on side can play stuff straight from an SD card - audio video & piccies.

piccies - well it works (jpeg only). Don't expect much detail from a 2 mega pixel display.

audio - mp3/aac files - sound is very good considering the speakers.

video - plays mpeg1/2 with either dd/mpeg sound. MP4/MOV with H.264 video. No divx/xvid compatibility. Excellent video from my kodak ki8 hd camera plays 1080p@30hz and even 720p@60hz video.

First plasma after various lcd tv's, technology is totally different and so is the style of image displayed so it is difficult to directly compare to lcd. I think the purchase was a good one and I would buy another in the future.

After looking around I also decided to run in the plasma for over 100hrs using the burn-in dvd in dynamic mode. This reduces the chances of IR (image retention) especially as I watch a lot of BBC News and play PS3.
It is recommended by Panasonic not to watch too much heavily DOG'ed channels with logos and scrollbars for the first 100 hours or windowed movies.

No IR so far.

I will keep you posted after a few weeks running.

DJ

Hmm, I have the same Television and I experience quite a few jaggy lines on PS3 and the Xbox 360. I am using the 1080p output on both of them and using game mode. What games have you played that haven't got them? I agree on the Blu-ray performance though, it's fantastic!

Hmm, I have the same Television and I experience quite a few jaggy lines on PS3 and the Xbox 360. I am using the 1080p output on both of them and using game mode. What games have you played that haven't got them? I agree on the Blu-ray performance though, it's fantastic!
Ok, I can see it when I sit 2 feet away from the tv - I think this is a game resolution issue as bluray movies are normally 1080p (pixel resolution 1920x1080). Check what mode the tv flicks to when you first click on the game icon as most dropped down to 720p mode. Have you checked the back of the game to see the max. resolution?

I have just tried Killzone 2 which is a 720p game ie. 1280 x 720 pixel screen and you can see the pixel steps. If you are bothered turn the sharpness down from 50% which will smooth the image and also remove some of the detail.

I think you are getting an aliasing issue between the 1080p panel and the 720p video coming out of the PS3.

To check it out remove all but 720p on the PS3 playback modes in the display settings and play a movie. You will get the same problem.

Check this list out as it gives you the 1080p PS3 games.

Updated list of NATIVE 1080p PS3 Games | PlayStation® Community Forums

I think the tv is just too good.... :laugh:

Ok, I can see it when I sit 2 feet away from the tv - I think this is a game resolution issue as bluray movies are normally 1080p (pixel resolution 1920x1080). Check what mode the tv flicks to when you first click on the game icon as most dropped down to 720p mode. Have you checked the back of the game to see the max. resolution?

I have just tried Killzone 2 which is a 720p game ie. 1280 x 720 pixel screen and you can see the pixel steps. If you are bothered turn the sharpness down from 50% which will smooth the image and also remove some of the detail.

I think you are getting an aliasing issue between the 1080p panel and the 720p video coming out of the PS3.

To check it out remove all but 720p on the PS3 playback modes in the display settings and play a movie. You will get the same problem.

Check this list out as it gives you the 1080p PS3 games.

Updated list of NATIVE 1080p PS3 Games | PlayStation® Community Forums

I think the tv is just too good.... :laugh:

A ha, I don't have any of those games so that would explain the problem! So I just need to change the output to 720p for gaming, and that should stop the problem? Then 1080p for Blu-rays (I use PS3 as blu-ray player)?

Thanks!

A ha, I don't have any of those games so that would explain the problem! So I just need to change the output to 720p for gaming, and that should stop the problem? Then 1080p for Blu-rays (I use PS3 as blu-ray player)?

Thanks!
No, you will always get the issue as the games seem to override the video output if the game is 720p max. You can reduce the aliasing by reducing the sharpness but this is just effectively blurring the image.

Good to see it is the shortcomings of the games and not the tv. I think there is a demo version of wipeout hd on PSN which is 1080p.

Ye, other than some jaggy lines on games, the TV is absolutely beautiful and produces an amazing image! Somebody needs to set up an owners thread ;)

Actually, I have GT5 prologue and still have jaggy lines, even though it is native 1080p... is it still just the game?

Actually, I have GT5 prologue and still have jaggy lines, even though it is native 1080p... is it still just the game?
Not your telly but the PS3 again - see this... only garage render stuff is 1080p not the game.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/7465449-post3.html

Looks like the programmers cannot be bothered to code with 1080p or the PS3 isn't powerful enough to render most games output in 1080p.

http://community.us.playstation.com/message/7803196#7803196

Google "jaggies ps3" for more. Bang the sharpness down which will smooth them out.

Last edited:
Ah right. Thanks alot, I was getting quite worried about it but good to know it's only the games ;)

Not your telly but the PS3 again - see this... only garage render stuff is 1080p not the game.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/7465449-post3.html

Looks like the programmers cannot be bothered to code with 1080p or the PS3 isn't powerful enough to render most games output in 1080p.

Can someone tell me why PS3 has... | PlayStation® Community Forums

Google "jaggies ps3" for more. Bang the sharpness down which will smooth them out.

Sorry no the PS3 isn't powerful enough to run a game like GT5 at 1080p not if you want a good frame rate with wonderful physics, AI etc. Many games aren't even 720p. Programmers in the industry work their asses off, often working long hours unpaid, I know, I work with some.:)

For PS3 gaming its best to set the TV to 720p and let the TV upscale.
Buyer beware, games have 1080p and 720p on the back of the box but all this means is the game supports TVs that are capable of this. Most games that say they run at 1080p refers to front end, option screens and intros.

I'm thinking of getting this TV as a replacement for my Samsung UE40B7020, Am just not sure as i haven't seen it running yet. Is this TV an upgrade on the Samsung? I don't want the LCD/LED v Plasma debate lol.

We have the Panasonic 42PX80B in another room and it looks really nice but theirs a slight flicker on it, not to noticeable, is it the same with the U30B?

I may go to comet ect tomorrow and have a look at 1. I just don't want to feel am doing a downgrade even though the Panasonic is newer.

We have the Panasonic 42PX80B in another room and it looks really nice but theirs a slight flicker on it, not to noticeable, is it the same with the U30B?
Yes, it is inherent of the technology - 600hz sub field refresh but I think the X80 is 480hz. Mine was noticeable when I first powered it up but I haven't really seen it since I ran the burn-in dvd through it for 100hrs.

I am extremely picky when it comes to tv's, all previous sets have been CRT or LCD. The display quality is excellent, personally I would be more worried about the reflections off the screen. I operate mine in a blinded room so it isn't an issue.

I would recommend it, it would be better to view it and compare the pro's/con's to your current led lit lcd tv which is a well reviewed set.

Am picky to and what makes this even harder is that the LED LCD is excellent and don't think i can justify selling it for £300 then paying an extra £150 for the Panasonic IF its not much cop compared to this samsung?

I have read about the reflection and that really is not a problem, my room as the tiniest window and i have my blinds closed anyhow so isn't a light room.

I wish i could afford to buy the Panny and compare side by side but i cant and would need the funds from the Samsung to be able to get it. I will go look later if they have 1 in store (hopefully not on some crappy settings and under a 10000w spot light lol)

I've just bought this tv and think it's great so far but just want to know to optimal picture settings to get the most from the set. Thx

I've got the 50" but I guess it's basically the same?

I was wondering on people's opinion on Cinema vs True Cinema. Mine is still new and still bedding in but to me Cinema looked a bit better than True Cinema, but it was a very unscientific test based on a recording from C4HD.

My settings are on True Cinema mode, which is apparently the best mode to use on Panasonics.

I have had this TV for a few weeks now and I keep having to adjust the picture settings because I can't seem to get it right. I watch everything through Standard Definition. The TV is in quite a light room so the Cinema mode and True Cinema seem way too dark. Can anyone post their settings so that I can try them?

I agree those modes are too dark I use these seems to be fine for me.

Also do you think it takes ages for the tv guide to appear after pressing?

Attachments

• image-3442664752.jpg
    image-3442664752.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 1,007
Thanks for sending the settings. For some reason though the Sky guide is fuzzy when the TV is in normal mode, but fine when its in dynamic.

I have just ordered the Digital Video Essentials DVD to try to get a better picture.

I hardly ever use the built in free view due to having Sky, but I just tried it and there is a slight delay but it takes no more than 2 seconds for the guide to come up.

Thanks for sending the settings. For some reason though the Sky guide is fuzzy when the TV is in normal mode, but fine when its in dynamic.

I have just ordered the Digital Video Essentials DVD to try to get a better picture.

I hardly ever use the built in free view due to having Sky, but I just tried it and there is a slight delay but it takes no more than 2 seconds for the guide to come up.

DYNAMIC:eek: the nearest setting to the industry standard would be cinema/true cinema and warm.
Just a guess here brightness 50(halfway) contrast 65-70 ,colour 50 till you get your dve disc.

Regards Martin

Last edited:
I'm thinking of buying one of these as it's the first set that i've seen that can reproduce a decent SD picture as well as HD. My top criteria is picture quality - whilst i don't watch a lot of sport - i do enjoy my F1 and the Tour the France on HD also looks interesting. I'm not into pay TV so wont be using SKY or Virgin. It ticks all of the boxes and for £450 it's a bargain - my only concern is the size. We currently have a 28" CRT so this will be a big jump - our room is 4.25m x 4m. I will also be putting SD satellite channels through it, does anyone have experience of this. Any further hints or advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you

I'm thinking of buying one of these as it's the first set that i've seen that can reproduce a decent SD picture as well as HD. My top criteria is picture quality - whilst i don't watch a lot of sport - i do enjoy my F1 and the Tour the France on HD also looks interesting. I'm not into pay TV so wont be using SKY or Virgin. It ticks all of the boxes and for £450 it's a bargain - my only concern is the size. We currently have a 28" CRT so this will be a big jump - our room is 4.25m x 4m. I will also be putting SD satellite channels through it, does anyone have experience of this. Any further hints or advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you

We got this TV yesterday and the SD picture is fantastic. Much better than my Samsung LCD TV. It's actually better than our old CRT freeview picture too.

If you're worried about the SD picture quality don't be - it's brilliant.

The ONLY thing I don't like about the TV is the reflectiveness but once you turn off all the lights in our sitting room it's not a problem at all (with the lights off you only see a reflection when a really dark scene is on the screen).

Anyway yeah, I can't stress enough how good the standard definition freeview picture quality is. Love it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom