1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Panasonic TH42PE30 is actually BETTER than the Pioneer 434HDE!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by nujjy, Sep 5, 2004.

1. nujjy

nujjy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi, everybody.

I've just been down to my local john lewis and I saw the pioneer 434 (now reduced to £2995; see other post) and also the Panasonic TH42PE30 Plasms television screens. They have both been there for at least couple of months now.

Today, I went to look at both of them for about 45 minutes. Honestly, I thought that the PE30 was better. I have seen some other person on this forum say that his father and brother have a 434HDE and a PWD6 and yet they thought his PE30 was better. I cannot agree more!

Some racing show was on the 434HDE and it just couldn't handle the fast movement as well as the PE30. Also, I saw some Robbie Williams music video on there as well. This was the 42" Panasonic vs. the 50" Pioneer. The picture looked a lot clearer on the Panasonic.

I know that the image quality can be enhanced and this and that setting can be altered, but the general image was much sharper on the Panasonic. I was really impressed. The only problem is the High Definition. To be honest, HD won't really come into effect for at least another 2 years.

The only choice I have to make now is whether to get the Panasonic TH42PE30 or the new Pioneer PDP-434XDE.
    I can get the PE30 (with the elegant glass stand) for £2655. OR,
    I can get the 434XDE (with no stand) for approximately £3000.

A big choice to make...

2. marcm

marcm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nujjy where can you get the panasonic for £2655 inc stand??? I would be interested in that.

3. nujjy

nujjy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    My friend works at John Lewis. So first, I can pricematch it with www.digital-point.co.uk (they are an actual store in Handsworth, Birmingham) for £3033 and then get just over 10% off on top of that :thumbsup:

4. Steve Rollings

Steve Rollings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nujjy

If you are claiming your friends discount from John Lewis , you can get your friend sacked. My wife works for them and this is a near to a capital offence as you can get at John Lewis.

Steve

5. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    was the panny using it's digital tuner?
    A 50" terestrial picture will show up awful compared to a 42" Digital signal which would make a massive difference to any judgement. The Pioneer looks much better to me and I see the two screens 1 meter apart 8 hours a day through various sources. Saying that the panny does seem to handle a terestrial signal better but would you use analogue on a £4000 telly!

6. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    The analogue tuner in the Pioneer is categorically rubbish. The screen is fine but the tuner isn't.

On the other hand the Pansonic is very respectable on both it's analogue and simply excellent via DVB.

If it's spec you're after then you'll be tempted by the Pioneer, in which case the 434HDE seems a far better bet than their new range. The new range is looking decidedly dodgy day by day from what I'm hearing as it's not as good a screen. Spec is not the be all or end all if Pioneer have committed the cardinal sin of forgoing picture quality ?

However in the flesh, the screen you prefer might be the Panasonic anyway and I wouldn't blame you.

JL's are shifting an awful lot of these Panasonics at the moment, I believe they are depleting 3 figure stocks every 3 weeks. That is a lot of Plasma telly and not surprising as it's such a good product.

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,467
    Ekko Star

As you say tech specs only tell one part of the story but surely it would help to keep observations on the NEW Pioneer PlasmaTV range such as 'The new range is looking decidedly dodgy day by day from what I'm hearing as it's not as good a screen' on the back burner until some production units are actually shipped to the UK.

There are only a handful of folk in the UK who have seen pre production units - and I've not heard of any production stock being due here until mid October.

Pioneer haven't delivered a squib of a Plasma TV or Plasma Display as yet so lets hold off until the new units have landed before they are judged.

Best regards

Joe

8. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Joe, only going on the first review I've read so far, What Hi-FI. It's not conclusive obviously, but it's not a good sign really, because they do generally rate Pioneer stuff in very high regard. The review is not complimentary and compares it directly to the 434HDE. A plasma they themselves gave a categoric 5 stars.

It's a tough decision, but in the meantime, propective buyers may forgoe picking up rapidly depleting stocks of a 434HDE for under £3k with speakers and a stand.

That £3k may indeed turn out to be far more of a bargain for Pioneer fans than they had originally thought ? I think it's only fair to point that out on any deliberations any purchaser maybe undergoing ?

9. sapkan

sapkan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    any impreessions of the new PIO 435?

meant to be the dogs

10. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    I think you mean PDP-435XDE.... Have a look on the thread I started yesterday. It does not look like the 435's are any better than the existing 434's...in fact we are told they are much worse....

11. ReHaBWales

ReHaBWales
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've decided never to believe reviews. So far every time I've seen the 434 I've hated the PQ. It always seems overenhanced even with HDMI. I demo'd that at Seven Oaks in Cardiff and at AV-Sales in Tunbridge. The price though is very cheap and tempting. I've been trying to decide for over a month now and I'm still not sure.
    :rolleyes:

12. andypearce

andypearce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8

I know what you mean - I'm struggling to make a decision. You're quite local to me aren't you? The Panasonic shop in Llanelli have said they will try and match any offer I can find on the web for the Pansonic 42" Viera so even though their technical knowledge is pants they may be able to supply locally quicker than some of the internet bargains.

13. ReHaBWales

ReHaBWales
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah the guys in Panasonic Llanelli are not very well informed. Perhaps we should tell them to read this forum. So whats the cheapest you've seem the Viera for?

14. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    I picked up my TH-37PE30 for £2.2k at Richer Sounds, Cardiff, at the end of June, they gave great service too :) So a big thumbs up for them :thumbsup: :smashin: As for the Panasonic Shop Swansea, (a.k.a. Quinns) a big thumbs down I'm afraid :thumbsdow bunch of arrogant :censored: *Ahem* I better stop before I break the board's TOS. Sorry for going :offtopic:

S.

15. andypearce

andypearce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    £2930 delivered with the big stand, £2499 without.

16. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    I know what you mean ! Still it is a good plasma and some people do prefer the picture it knocks out. The price maybe cheaper, but it's far too much if you don't like the picture really ? I think you have to like the thing first for it to mean being a bargain to you ?

The 435 gets 3 stars basically cos of the poor picture. That's a big markdown, even for a review. Haven't seen it in the flesh but appears like Pioneer have got it wrong on the new ones.

It is sad really because there is not 'that' much of a choice of decently performing top end plasma tellys out there anyway. It's either the Panasonics or the Pioneers really.

17. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,467
    Hello Ekko Star

Just to be 'accurate' the NEW Pioneer PDP-435FDE got a poor review; I don't think any UK magazines have printed a review of the PDP-435XDE or PDP-505XDE as yet.

Its going to be a few weeks before we get our hands on any demo units.

Best regards

Joe

18. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Hi Joe.. 434's are you sure that's right ??? I thought the new ones were denominated by 5's ?

The XDE has all the digital tuner gubbins but isn't the screen itself the same as the FDE ?

I think the poor picture business is not simply down to the analogue tuner on the 435FDE, it is fundamentally actually to do with the panel itself.

Still it will be sad to see if it's not as good as it's predecessor. There are only two decent plasma telly options out there and that may soon become one. :confused:

19. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,467
    Oops - sorted now; many thanks.

Joe