The Outsiders 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

I noticed that... I think I'll order both sets - I like the movie (especially for nostalgia purposes and a Diane Lane fan) although I have no idea what the reviewer of the U.K. set was on about with the picture quality - which I think looks stunning and nowhere near as 'revisionist' as he thinks. There are sooo many extras on here. Over the two versions it's gonna take days to get through it all. Thank you.
this reply i was having issues with- see below for next post for full reply- thanks

Last edited:
I noticed that... I think I'll order both sets - I like the movie (especially for nostalgia purposes and a Diane Lane fan) although I have no idea what the reviewer of the U.K. set was on about with the picture quality - which I think looks stunning and nowhere near as 'revisionist' as he thinks. There are sooo many extras on here. Over the two versions it's gonna take days to get through it all. Thank you.
Although I have not seen it yet, I was surprised to see BluRay.com rate the PQ at 3.5/5 when AVForums has at 10/10- And AVForums does not give out a 10 easily.

Just received Warner/USA version. I’m tempted to pick up the UK/StudioCanal version as well to have both- like you said and do a comparison.

Going to look for some other retailers who have this UK version. I mentioned in earlier post that had pre-ordered then cancelled from Zavvi, as they have been doing a poor job getting me these limited edition (The Thing) and non-steelbook films to me in the US without them being damaged. They do a great job getting the steelbooks to me in pristine shape.

Thinking maybe amazon.uk? any other suggestions?

Although I have not seen it yet, I was surprised to see BluRay.com rate the PQ at 3.5/5 when AVForums has at 10/10- And AVForums does not give out a 10 easily.

Just received Warner/USA version. I’m tempted to pick up the UK/StudioCanal version as well to have both- like you said and do a comparison.

Going to look for some other retailers who have this UK version. I mentioned in earlier post that had pre-ordered then cancelled from Zavvi, as they have been doing a poor job getting me these limited edition (The Thing) and non-steelbook films to me in the US without them being damaged. They do a great job getting the steelbooks to me in pristine shape.

Thinking maybe amazon.uk? any other suggestions?
I got my UK Studio Canal set from Amazon.co.uk for £42.99 (well originally £49.99 but they refunded me the £7 after it went down in price). It was well packed and came through undamaged luckily. I've now ordered the U.S. Warner version from Amazon.com. The picture quality for me is near a 9 out of 10. For a film of it's vintage I think it looks great. Audio quality is not as good, but fine (although not a huge fan of the Complete Novel soundtrack anyway).

Anyone else experience stuttering on the uhd extended disc?
I think it is at a layer change around the 42 min mark. If I let it run, it skips and stutters for 5 minutes. But if I skip to the next chapter and rewind to just after the layer change, it plays those 5 minutes fine. Player is Panasonic ub820.

Anyone else experience stuttering on the uhd extended disc?
I think it is at a layer change around the 42 min mark. If I let it run, it skips and stutters for 5 minutes. But if I skip to the next chapter and rewind to just after the layer change, it plays those 5 minutes fine. Player is Panasonic ub820.
I will check later when I get a chance to watch it from the start. I have a Panasonic UB9000 and Oppo 205. There has been issues with Arrow's 'DUNE (1984)' and the UK release of 'THE THING (1982)' too. Seems to be lots of quality control and / or duplication issues. Covid pandemic effects maybe?

Interesting that blu-ray.com has confirmed that the US version from Warner and the StudioCanal version in the UK have differences in 4K discs. I provided the links to the two reviews.

The reviewers have differing takes. The UK reviewer rated the sound better than the video. And the US reviewer rated the video better than the sound.
The Outsiders 4k looks amazing on my system, definitely a 10/10. The bluray.com reviews are confusing, I wonder if the reviewers didn't see the 4k version accurately? All the bluray.com frame grabs look terrible, nothing like what the movie looks like on my system, (garish and dark as the reviewers state in the reviews). However, all the frame grabs from caps-a-holic.com look great and just like what it looks like on my system . I made a side by side comparison still to show the discrepancy. I'm not knowledgeable on such things but how could there be such a difference when the frame grabs from both sites come from the same release?
outsiders_comparison.jpg

Excellent detective work on this! Thanks for providing that side-by-side

Would anyone recommend this release as a blind buy having never seen the movie?
Or wait until a hopeful bare bones release becomes available?

I love it. It's a bit dated I suppose but it is a classic movie.
I doubt they'll be another release of it anytime soon.

If you can get the USA 4K release at a lower price its bare bones. As other person said its a bit dated but has so many good actors

Anyone know if there is a 'winner' in terms of picture quality etc between the USA 4K and the UK box set one???

Fed up waiting for the normal disc version app £20, when’s it happening?

Normally I'd point people to Australia for vanilla versions but it's £27 (delivered price) there which is unusually high.

Or £28 from the USA:

Are you aware of the drought conditions on his winery in California? Mr Coppola needs the money for the extra expense of piping in that water.

People shouldn't be so ungrapeful.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Yes, that is spot on. I think it is a massive film in the U.S. cos the book is compulsory reading over there in schools. In the UK it is mainly known for the cast and for Coppola. Enjoy it and let us know what you think.
Finally watched it - and I watched the Complete Novel cut 1st - hated the music and the choice of music, especially in emotional scenes. Just didn’t work and massively out of place, despite the music connotations. I quickly popped the standard cut with the original score and it was like a different movie - so much better. But I guess you miss the additional footage. Will watch the original cut in a few years time. Overall - great film and themes, let down by an odd choice of music (I get the greaser theme - but just didn’t work) despite the best intentions.

outsiders_remake.jpg

I'll get me coat.

I still can’t believe this only available in the UK for £49.99. Have they not made any normal versions at a normal price for a later date?

I still can’t believe this only available in the UK for £49.99. Have they not made any normal versions at a normal price for a later date?
I was thinking the same. I love the film (LOVE it), but that is a lot of money. Seems to be a winner though :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom