The Outpost (Amazon) Movie Review & Comments

MarkusThatch

Distinguished Member
Good review - it's a well made film, decent tension in the build up to the ‘the big one’ - personally though in this genre specifically in the Afghanistan setting I think Kajaki is a better film (think it’s on Netflix). But it is a good reminder yet again of the folly of foreign invaders in Afghanistan and the woeful planning for what happens once western forces get a foothold. Lions/donkeys etc. Impossible to not notice the politics, balance with these type of films but on a technical level it’s well put together. The black crush though on night scenes etc (artefacts? I can’t recall what you call it) - pretty terrible.

Last edited:

Russ 66

I agree with your review, definitely very Zulu even with the run down of medals at the end.
The effects were a little ropey but the soundtrack was really good, explosions and bullets flying everywhere.
Scott Eastwood looks and sounds really like his dad in this one. I think it’s the heavy tanned face with squinty crows feet around the eyes like in TGTBATU.

Good review - it's a well made film, decent tension in the build up the ‘the big one’ - personally though in this genre specifically in the Afghanistan setting I think Kajaki is a better film (think it’s on Netflix).
Agree, really good film, almost too real and probably shows what it’s really like out there.

gibbsy

Atmos sound track??

MarkusThatch

Distinguished Member
I didn't find the black crush "terrible", it was in line with the quality Amazon usually produce on their stuff that isn't 4k in my experience.
It was really blotchy looking but then I have done a factory reset on my tv recently so might need to do a bit of recalibration. It looked really ropey, particularly at the end when there’s all those fires in the darkness.

Roohster

Distinguished Member
Thanks Tom, I hadn't spotted this one, I'll give it a go tonight.

Evinger

Distinguished Member
Thanks Tom. Still pay to View on Prime Germany, but I'm sure that will wash through soon.

Gordon2147

Hi Tom,
Always interested in movies about events in Afghanistan, and your review has made this a must watch. Admittedly expectatons will be lowered due to the likely budget for it, but look forward to it all the same. I see it is available in 4k, so I will be interested how that quality turns out.

Glad to have read a review about a streaming sevice original that is good, as my hope was waning for originals bringing anything worthwhile to the table.

If any of you like Afghan war stories , there is a russian film called 9th company from 2005 about conscripts in the 1980's, that is a worthwhile watch, with some great fight sequences and a storyline that draws you in to the reality faced by the soldiers.

Update,
Was an enjoyable film, with a real noisy ending. The characters were believeable and I did invest in them, felt sorry for the Lieutenants, getting the job then realising the futility of the job. quite the twist for Orlando Bloom's character, won't spoil it, you will be able to figure it when you see it.

But glad I watched it, 4k was pretty good too, if not demo quality, great for streaming.

Last edited:

Rambo John J

Distinguished Member
Glad to have read a review about a streaming service original that is good, as my hope was waning for originals bringing anything worthwhile to the table.

If it was an Amazon Original it would have been streaming worldwide exclusively on Prime a year ago when it was released. I remember watching this one last year when it was bobbing along quietly under the radar.

Gordon2147

If it was an Amazon Original it would have been streaming worldwide exclusively on Prime a year ago when it was released. I remember watching this one last year when it was bobbing along quietly under the radar.
Yeah, looks like I didn't read that through properly, thanks for the pointer

Valen

Watched this last night, got Black Hawk Down vibes when the main assault happens, great stuff.

stewjoy

Definitely an 8/10, good gritty movie.

MikeTVMikeTV

The Americans are idiots, I served in Afghanistan in Summer 2007, on OP Herrick, (having previously done 2 tours of Iraq, I was aware of their idiocy) but in Afghan they really took the piss.

Dropping bombs on our guys in Kajaki, shooting our guys with A10s, dropping bombs on Afghan villages that weren't even required and killing plenty of civilians.

They are the most unprofessional bunch of morons imaginable, they were even mocking british troops for (in their opinion) failing to hold onto just 1 province, Helmand.

So they replaced us in Sangin (at the time the most dangerous place on earth) and preceded to have more soldiers killed in 6 months than we did in the previous 4yrs.

Bunch of absolute idiots, you cannot even imagine their stupidity unless it's been witnessed.

Edit: If you would like to see how idiotic the American Military Machine can be then I suggest seeking out "Generation Kill" Its a TV series based on the recollections of an American Recon Marine Officer in the invasion of Iraq, it features actors and some real Marines who were there as well.

Last edited:

domtheone

Distinguished Member
7/10 for me. Last 45 mins with the major battle was pretty riveting.

PQ was all over the place. Not my connection speed either.

TheHighFlyingBirds

The Americans are idiots, I served in Afghanistan in Summer 2007, on OP Herrick, (having previously done 2 tours of Iraq, I was aware of their idiocy) but in Afghan they really took the piss.

Dropping bombs on our guys in Kajaki, shooting our guys with A10s, dropping bombs on Afghan villages that weren't even required and killing plenty of civilians.

They are the most unprofessional bunch of morons imaginable, they were even mocking british troops for (in their opinion) failing to hold onto just 1 province, Helmand.

So they replaced us in Sangin (at the time the most dangerous place on earth) and preceded to have more soldiers killed in 6 months than we did in the previous 4yrs.

Bunch of absolute idiots, you cannot even imagine their stupidity unless it's been witnessed.

Edit: If you would like to see how idiotic the American Military Machine can be then I suggest seeking out "Generation Kill" Its a TV series based on the recollections of an American Recon Marine Officer in the invasion of Iraq, it features actors and some real Marines who were there as well.
Generation kill is fantastic, watched it a few times. You're the first person I've seen who has watched it.

SyStemDeMoN

Generation kill is fantastic, watched it a few times. You're the first person I've seen who has watched it.
Then I am the 2nd.

Reading the review I was wondering if I already had seen this and it turns out I have seen it somewhere either last year or the year before.

It was good but I've seen the story a few times now.

7/10

domtheone

Distinguished Member
3rd lol. Gen Kill was very good.

MarkusThatch

Distinguished Member
I've seen it too - definite Private Joker vibes to it. Really good - co-written by the excellent David Simon.

encaser

Not a bad film with a decent ending.
It definitely leaves with you the reckless nature/ego of American Military; in building the base in a ridiculously poor defensive position, because they assume they know better and are so well equipped,, regardless. And, that one thing you can always rely on, is them being great at blowing theirs up.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Cleer Audio speaker + HiFi Rose Streamer Reviews & Movie/TV Show talk
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

iFi Audio launches the Zen Stream Wi-Fi audio transport
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Ruark R1 Mk4 radio gets summer makeover
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 23rd June 2021
  • By Phil Hinton