The Outer Limits On Bluray

I don't know how there going to improve on the DVDs as that was pretty good for a on old series. I may replace my old DVD's though as I got season 1 and 2 region one and now use a only region 2 player as my main although I picked up season 2 on region 2 as a couple episodes in season 2 had faults.
One of the best anthology series and my favorite, and in my opinion the best music wrote for a series.
Some great actors in it and influential for other stuff Harlan Ellison had a lawsuit as a couple of ideas seemed to come from two episodes he wrote and I would add an other >Spoiler full story link.<

I hope this is a region free or on region 2

It does appear to be a US release but I don't know if it'll be region A locked. I invested in a multiregion BD machine a while back.

The Outter Limits: The Complete Original Series Blu-ray
Bri
One of mine is (although may just be DVD's)but got moved to the bedroom when I got the Panny player+recorder+freeview. And if I upgrade to a 4k player I think region free about £100 extra at least on the Oppo.

Some monsters from the series. Remember the budgets they were dealing with back then. BTW the music I liked was for the first season not the second. They used the same monster twice in two episodes.

SPOILERS

They will improve on the dvd's by being in HD. New restorations apparently so should be excellent.
Kino Lorber release so almost certain to be Region A locked

Used to love this show when I was growing up, this along with the X-Files had my inner nerd / alien / UFO / conspiracy theorist boxes all ticked!

One of the most memorable episodes was Valerie 23. (A) because it was some nice, rare (at the time) boobage on TV and (b) because of the way the episode played out. Looking back on it, quite similar to Ex Machina.

Used to love this show when I was growing up, this along with the X-Files had my inner nerd / alien / UFO / conspiracy theorist boxes all ticked!

One of the most memorable episodes was Valerie 23. (A) because it was some nice, rare (at the time) boobage on TV and (b) because of the way the episode played out. Looking back on it, quite similar to Ex Machina.
You're confusing the old with the new.
The Bluray release is the original 63-64 show shot on 35mm film.
Valerie 23 is one of the more memorable episodes from the "post produced on tape" 90's revival episodes so practically no chance of a Bluray release.
I do actually have an entire run on dvd of the 90's show but I believe only season 1 got a UK release so picking up the rest was not very easy or cheap.
Comments on Amazon claim the dvd's may be cable versions edited for nudity and / or violence but I'm not familiar enough with the show to confirm that. I think my season 1 set was a UK release and Valerie 23 seemed intact

The two series were almost not the same the ones. it was almost like the early series of The Twilight Zone and the later one and OL did a swap were they were coming from or heading to. TTZ use to have negative endings an OL more rounded endings even when something unpleasant happened you come away with some positive message. Yet the later OL seem to go out of its way to be negative even remaking some positive endings negative, but have to say some of the stories were very good.

ahhhhhhh ok, didn't realise it was the older series.

ahhhhhhh ok, didn't realise it was the older series.
Makes you wonder what will happen to shows made in the era of post production on tape or at least the ones that included plentiful visual effects.
Something like the Star Trek shows or The X Files can justify the expense of recreating all the effects but the revival Outer Limits would likely cost as much to do properly but without the same market or fanbase so perhaps many of these shows will just disappear never to be seen again.
Rather like old B&W shows rarely appear these days it's possible the same will happen to SD in the age of 4k

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I can't find them in the UK but Amazon,com have it on pre order at $99.95:eek: I would have thought it coming in cheaper than that I don't think I payed half that price for the DVD's.
https://www.amazon.com/The-Outer-Li...65953&creativeASIN=B0798GMWZH&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER
As a new listing on Amazon.com it will be at RRP for an indeterminate amount of time. However, as Diabolik have it for $62.99 I would suggest Amazon will reduce the price to around that figure before release.
Amazon UK will never carry listings for US titles before they are released.

If price is the priority then Wow will likely be the cheapest option eventually. But if early delivery is for you ebay seller toysandfilms usually get items in before their US release date so enabling UK customers to get them as early as the US - although the prices are much higher.
£72 from Wow at the moment but their prices fluctuate daily so I wouldn't pre order because if the price drops before release you need to contact them for a refund of the difference as they don't have a price guarantee like Amazon

As a new listing on Amazon.com it will be at RRP for an indeterminate amount of time. However, as Diabolik have it for $62.99 I would suggest Amazon will reduce the price to around that figure before release.
Amazon UK will never carry listings for US titles before they are released.

If price is the priority then Wow will likely be the cheapest option eventually. But if early delivery is for you ebay seller toysandfilms usually get items in before their US release date so enabling UK customers to get them as early as the US - although the prices are much higher.
£72 from Wow at the moment but their prices fluctuate daily so I wouldn't pre order because if the price drops before release you need to contact them for a refund of the difference as they don't have a price guarantee like Amazon
I'm not rushing although do want on Blu if there an improvement on the picture quality. I already have them on DVD.

I'm not rushing although do want on Blu if there an improvement on the picture quality. I already have them on DVD.
Even if they were using the old masters there would be an improvement,but they've said these are all new HD restorations with the series in HD for the first time as the current broadcasts are upscaled.

As a kid I liked both The Outer Limits and The Twilight Zone. Back then I thought Limits was the far better of the two but now I think Twilight is the better series. I might be tempted though.

Bri

I liked TZ when I first got it from BBC2 in the 80's and eventually the rest from C4.
But I never watched the later ones until I got the dvd's . Even then I only got into season 3 when the Blurays started coming so I started again.
And I have to say that while Rod Serling was certainly a font of ideas and imagination his writing style really grates on me these days.
Stories about the futility of war and the personification of death crop up too many times and his dialogue is painful. Plots that you could write on the tip of a matchstick stretched to 25 minutes by reams and reams of the most unrealistic dialogue that usually sounds poetic but takes the plot nowhere.
I do plan to try again sometime though.
His unrealistic dialogue is pointed out by some of the cast members for Night Gallery in a book I bought to accompany my first ever viewing of the series but I struggled to reach the end of season 1 which is only 6 episodes. Predictable stories, appalling dialogue and even some dreadful plots which beggar belief on occasion.

I got halfway through Outer Limits last time but only because I fancied a change. Overall I find TOL a more entertaining view than the Zone. I actually picked up all 7 seasons of the reboot a few years back and some of the stories from the original series are remade.

I think on a percentage scale good to bad rates much higher on the Limits than it does for Zone but that is only my opinion.
As there are no documentaries on this release it will be time to dig out the books again to read alongside

I still prefer The Outer Limits although if the story was poor you spend more time watching it but found OL stories where more rounded, a bit like a full novel and a book full of 20 page short stories. e.g. although I love it as it had Rod Taylor and Jim Hutton in it When The Sky Opened there no real explanation why what happened, or have have a shock twist. As to the shock twist that's part of the reasons I found the 90s OL nearer to TZ.

As a kid I liked both The Outer Limits and The Twilight Zone. Back then I thought Limits was the far better of the two but now I think Twilight is the better series. I might be tempted though.

Bri
I feel the same but only just, I haven't watched for ages but the last time I did I binged on TZ and I'm in agreement with thegeminiman regarding the dialogue. I recall the how Sterlings narration often made me feel I was being patronized. I don't think either series' are great but I still enjoy them but I'm not going to repeat the mistake of binging on them as i do with most boxsets.

I don't think either series' are great but I still enjoy them but I'm not going to repeat the mistake of binging on them as i do with most boxsets.
I think for there time there were quite good but had limitations at what they could do at that time and there budgets for the genre only a fraction of what they get today. TZ were a bit like Creepshow sections, and OL were like mini B Sci fi films.
I would say there were some great episodes in OL The Architects of Fear, Corpus Earthling, The Man Who Was Never Born, Demon With a Glass Hand, The Invisibles, Feasibility Study, The Galaxy being, but then you had turkeys like ZZZZZ, Counterweight and Cry of Silence.

I feel the same but only just, I haven't watched for ages but the last time I did I binged on TZ and I'm in agreement with thegeminiman regarding the dialogue. I recall the how Sterlings narration often made me feel I was being patronized. I don't think either series' are great but I still enjoy them but I'm not going to repeat the mistake of binging on them as i do with most boxsets.

Both shows are a thing of their time. They are both very clunky by today's standards but they have a style and charm that we won't see again. Within that TZ has stood up the best for me.

Bri

Both shows are a thing of their time. They are both very clunky by today's standards but they have a style and charm that we won't see again. Within that TZ has stood up the best for me.

Bri
TZ would as it relies less on effects 3 of my favorites had little effects, When The Sky Opened
the actors just disappearing
, To Serve Man a static section of a spaceship and prosthetics on Richard Kiel (Lloyd Bochner playing a good guy for a change). And Nightmare at 20,000 feet inside of a plane looking out to a wing(William Shatner going mad).
Whatever you like OL music was brilliant. an other thing you notice from season 1 to 2.

I always liked And When the Sky Was Opened but it continues to frustrate me that there is no reason for any of it which seems to be a thing on so many of these short story series. I watched an episode from the German Bluray release of Amazing Stories recently and there's one set in a centuries old war where someone walks out from behind a door and finds themselves in the present day, has a few adventures and then goes back behind the door at the end to vanish. Where things just happen for no reason other than "this is the twilight zone" I find it annoying although some ideas are good enough to forget that.

My fave Zone must be "Walking Distance" and its one you appreciate more as you get older.
However, I found quite a few stories incredibly predictable. To Serve Man was one but the worst was one that everyone seems to love "Eye of the Beholder" but the "shock" ending of the last few moments seemed obvious to me after less than a minute. It's a good example of the Zones lightweight ideas stretched to 25 minutes.

When BBC2 first aired TOL in 1980 they started with The Sixth Finger possibly because David McCallum is in it

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom