The Outer Limits 60s Orignal Series, Any Fans?

Garrett

Reaction score
This is one of my top 10 tv series and funny enough too young to watch it when it was first shown on ITV that is it was shown late at night, but with a lot of pleading got to stayed up when my father was on certain shifts.
And the ones I saw blew me away just like a sci fi film condensed into 50 minutes and a lot of the time better than the crap in films.
Years later I when out and bought a Sony C7 to record them although missed the first in the jumbled up running order the BBC showed them and missed The Demon With The Glass Hand. wrote by the late great Harlon Ellison, this stared Robert Culp who stared in 3 of the stories and not a bad one amongst them the others being The Architect of Fear and Corpus Earthling.
My favorite has to be Martin Landau, The Man Who Was Never Born which also has sort of a time theme of The Demon With The Glass Hand and the film The Terminator but in this case the Terminator the good guy.
I now have both the American copies of season 1&2 double sided DVD disc and now the UK one side DVD disc of them.
I also the single CD and the triple CD of Dominic Frontiere's music for season 1 which I personally think the best music wrote for any TV series.

Anyway chatting about one of the episodes earlier today went looking for it to link for someone but found this very interesting discutions on The Architects of Fear with a whole lot of other interesting facts thrown in.
Spoilers

Was just talking to some friends last night about this, week we started with the 90s series, then went to 50s Twilight Zone then to this.

I have no memory at all of seeing this but did look to see how much the Blu-ray was and is a whopping £120. Think it's only been released in Australia, might watch a few episodes first and then decide.

Was just talking to some friends last night about this, week we started with the 90s series, then went to 50s Twilight Zone then to this.

I have no memory at all of seeing this but did look to see how much the Blu-ray was and is a whopping £120. Think it's only been released in Australia, might watch a few episodes first and then decide.
Yes both mine on DVD and fancied even upgrading to the Blu Ray but too rich and cant understand why it so much for 2 season albeit longer ones than today and longer episodes and some extras.
The 3 Robert Culp ones were some of the best and Martin Landau's The Man Who Was Never Born is my favorite.
Not all are great even the most expansive to produce was not that good of a story but on the whole very good.

Spoilers some hints at something and number 5 gives the sort of twist away.

The series is starting on Talking Pictures next week at 8pm from the begining.

I've always been a massive TZ fan (it's my favourite TV show ever) and have the complete set on blu. But for some reason I've never watched a single episode of TOL.

I need to do something about that.

Is there a blu box set?

I was reading up on last Fridays episode Corpus Earthling and the makers were in two minds if to put it as it was too scary and was the scariest of the series, and I have to agree I first watched the series with a bit of arm twisting as I was still at school and was on late, and mum said it was scary but stuff like this my bread and butter until Corpus Earthling and that did, only one but the makers where right. I think the only one based on a book as well.
And although the villains are rock creatures in the book and in the episode they contemplated making them cats, but we already know there villains so they passed on that idea. :rolleyes: No they though if they did some people as you know get fiction and real life mixed up so did not go with that idea.
Of the 3 episodes Robert Culp made this was his least favorite.
They re use the love theme music first heard in Roberts first episode The Architects of Fear.
And the guy in the hall banging on the door who they say Billy Slater was the name of someone in the making of the series.

If anyone's going to watch it who not seen it skip the pre titles teaser it a massive spoiler.

@MrLime not seen any reviews of it lately from you of have I missed them?

Does anyone remember the Outer Limits Bubble Gum Cards?

Does anyone remember the Outer Limits Bubble Gum Cards?
Yes and they told different story's to what it represented in the TV series. I always rember the monster/bear as they called them from Open Till Doomsday and made it sound like ET when it really was evil.
I think they did the bears in A Feasibility Study and in this case the colorized cards had there head pink which looked like chewed bubble gum.
I dont think I collected many I dont think they were out very long. I remember them doing some war ones with head chopping off and sure they got banned very quick.

Guess which episode this refers to.
aa card 47.jpg

aa The Man Who Was Never Born. Card.jpg

Some what different from the kind character.

The Bubble gum man :D
1647354494663.png

And they used one in Star Trek Devil in the Dark

I dont think they were out very long. I remember them doing some war ones with head chopping off and sure they got banned very quick.

My older brother had the full set, he was quite a collector of Bubble Gum Cards. Do you mean the American Civil War cards, he had most of those as well. Also the War of the Worlds cards.

Love this series, been watching them all recently, I was watching an episode tonight (IT CRAWLED OUT OF THE WOODWORK" and I thought " HANG ON A MINUTE" I've seen this storyline before, and yes it was almost the same storyline as the Star Trek episode "OBSESSION" Where Kirk is obsessed with a gaseous cloud of energy with a sweet sickly smell he encountered before. It even featured Michael Forest who starred as Apollo in another Star Trek episode" WHO MOURNS FOR APOLLO"
Now wondering if Gene Roddenberry ripped off the idea of this Outer limits episode and changed it around a bit for OBSESSION.
I also thought the OL episode "NIGHTMARE" was very thought provoking and interesting about the conditioning of soldiers to intense interrogation by the enemy.

Love this series, been watching them all recently, I was watching an episode tonight (IT CRAWLED OUT OF THE WOODWORK" and I thought " HANG ON A MINUTE" I've seen this storyline before, and yes it was almost the same storyline as the Star Trek episode "OBSESSION" Where Kirk is obsessed with a gaseous cloud of energy with a sweet sickly smell he encountered before. It even featured Michael Forest who starred as Apollo in another Star Trek episode" WHO MOURNS FOR APOLLO"
Now wondering if Gene Roddenberry ripped off the idea of this Outer limits episode and changed it around a bit for OBSESSION.
I also thought the OL episode "NIGHTMARE" was very thought provoking and interesting about the conditioning of soldiers to intense interrogation by the enemy.
That was a little like The Empath even both directed by John Erman, or The Cage. Fun and Games I mentioned was done in Star Trek as Arena although goes back to a short story but the same name by Fredric Brown.
Some other props were used from Outer Limits.
The Man Trap is very similar to the first story in The Voyage of the Space Beagle. Even the over ark seem similar although I dont think Kick was castrated.
A huge globular spaceship, manned by a chemically castrated all-male crew of nearly a thousand, who are on an extended scientific mission to explore intergalactic space.

OL also had many stars that went on to star in the main cast of Star Trek although OL had different cast each week not really unusual. Kirk, Scotty, and Spock actors are in the second season and Grace Lee Whiney was in Controlled Experiment which if you watch was an episode I think they had to make to recoup some of the over spend on Tourist Attraction, but is silly but fun banter between Barry Morse and Carrol O'Conner and not scary at all.

My older brother had the full set, he was quite a collector of Bubble Gum Cards. Do you mean the American Civil War cards, he had most of those as well. Also the War of the Worlds cards.
I could be wrong I thought there was some actual photo ones B&W but there was also these. WWII
aa world war cards.jpg

The Zanti Misfits tonight episode, just wait till you see them if you not seen them before.
Early role for Bruce Dern as a human.

I watched above last night and although not one of the best is a most memorable one once seen never forgot, it did seem to go slow in place although that's because I seen it so many time and not experiencing the suspense. The stop motion for the Zanti's is excellent to say for a tv program of its time. The bank robbers girlified was annoying at times when sort of being philosophical spouting rubbish, and the second in command is a pessimist. Robert F Simos as the General in charge who seems to have been born for these in command roles, who played J Johan Jameson in in the TV version of Spider-Man.
I too wondered how they got all those Zanti's in that small spaceship which is minuscule compared to the publicity shot of it.
I never thought much about the the heat of that desert as they can also be cold but the girlfriend wearing a mink coat yet, you can see the wet sweat stains round o reporter shirt when he goes out to mete the Zanti.

Catch up for this episode till 22nd April

Just got my Blu Ray box set of the complete series, lot of rattling disc but seem OK.
I just done a comparison and they the blu naturally sharper than the DVD.
Just did a comparison with 2 players and same shots between both.
First of was a shot of two main characters where you can see the pater on the Cliff Robinsons jacket but some of its blurred, in the blu all of ist clear also you can see the skin texture on his neck. You can see Jacqueline Scots pearl beads on her necklace but they blend into each other on the DVD, on the blu they are clearly separate.
An other comparison shot was from The Architects of Fear where Robert Culp just come out from something like a steam bath and being examined by Leonard Stone, he had a towel round his shoulders which looks to have some texture to it, and Stone forearm looks dark on the DVD on the Blu you can see a lot more texture to the towel which looks more fluffy and thicker, Stone forearm now shows a that the darkness is coming from his hairs.
Good upgrade from the two episodes I looked at.

Kino was likely the first ever to issue the series on BD. Don't think it was ever that overpriced in the US. However, unless you have a region free BD player and/or use VLC with the BD format updates or JRiver with AnyDVD HD running in the background, these releases would be n/g. Kino Lorber - Experience Cinema

Just got my Blu Ray box set of the complete series, lot of rattling disc but seem OK.
I just done a comparison and they the blu naturally sharper than the DVD.
Just did a comparison with 2 players and same shots between both.
First of was a shot of two main characters where you can see the pater on the Cliff Robinsons jacket but some of its blurred, in the blu all of ist clear also you can see the skin texture on his neck. You can see Jacqueline Scots pearl beads on her necklace but they blend into each other on the DVD, on the blu they are clearly separate.
An other comparison shot was from The Architects of Fear where Robert Culp just come out from something like a steam bath and being examined by Leonard Stone, he had a towel round his shoulders which looks to have some texture to it, and Stone forearm looks dark on the DVD on the Blu you can see a lot more texture to the towel which looks more fluffy and thicker, Stone forearm now shows a that the darkness is coming from his hairs.
Good upgrade from the two episodes I looked at.
Sure, the video quality of the BD edition looks twice as good as the DVD. But for me sound quality is even more important and I heard little if any audible improvement. Though my Oppo 95 player indicated the BD audio tracks were DTS-MA lossless 16 bit 48kHz, as there was apparently only one original music/dialogue mix ever recorded, the sound was the same compressed and at times somewhat overloaded (distorted) track heard from the DVD's Dolby Digital track.

And though Dolby Digital is a lossy audio format if you enjoy Frontiere's scoring as much as I do you can hear nearly or identical parts of many of the same suites and cues in the series which Leslie Stevens produced the year before. Miraculously, when the original music/dialogue mix was done for this (one season) show way less compression must have been used, preserving more dynamics and also making the fully captured frequency response more evident. Enjoy!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom