1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Others - R3 - Mini review

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by tryingtimes, Feb 25, 2002.

1. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Hi guys
    Just watched The Others on Saturday night and wanted to give an review of the disk so that you could decide if it was worth a punt.
    Firstly it cost me £8.99 from dddhouse.com. I have not seen the film before and I saw it with my wife (who's pregnant) and her sister and husband who had seen it at the cinema. I'm trying hard not to write any spoilers.

Picture. Contrary to reports below the disk I got was 1.85:1 NON-anamorphic. It zoomed up to nicely fill my screen using TheaterTek's aspect ration controls.

The picture was definitely below par and suffered from a few annoying artifacts during the movie.

Firstly the black levels were raised and this had to be compensated for by adjusting both the pj and the HCPC. In the end I thought the black levels and detail were acceptable but below average.

Secondly, I think the film must be really badly flagged for deinterlacing because it was the first time I've seen ThaterTek struggle. Evertime the camera moved jaggies were visable until the camera settled again. This was very distacting for the first half an hour before I got sucked in to the film. Pans were also jerky and suffered from pulsing black levels.

When the film showed full black frames and scenes with large areas of black there was also a high level of picture noise visable the likes of which I've never seen before!

When the picture was stable (during some of the tense scenes for example) the picture quality was perfectly acceptable however with good amounts of facial detail.

BTW - Even though my wife noticed most of the artifacts I have mentioned my guests did not - take from that what you will :)

Sound. The soundtrack we listened to was the DTS and I haven't done any comparisons.
    I was really impressed with the steering effects and the volume of the rear effects. It was the single most impressive thing about the viewing and was the thing that terrified me the most.
    The dialogue was clear and the ambient effects were effective.
    The film starts quietly and you are forced to run at quite a high volume level to hear it perfectly. There is a lot of whispering for example. However this is intentional as the sound producers want to have an overhead of volume to create the wonderful surround sounds.

Movie. I really enjoyed the film even though I could only ever see it as a bit of fun and nothing to take seriously. Kidman's performance is good but I'm not sure it deserves the plaudits it's getting. The kids are good too and it's all done in typical old fashioned chiller over-acted stylee. Good stuff.
    I'll watch it again if only to see some other guests jump in the way I did :D

Summary. Really good fun movie which gives your surrounds a good working out and will genuinely make you jump. I wouldn't buy this disk if I didn't have a good surround system but on a normal tv I would imagine you wouldn't see many of the picture shortcomings I mentioned as many of them are deinterlacing problems.
    If I were more patient I would think that waiting for the American and British disks would provide picture improvements. However I don't think I'll be buying them as I have already had my fun.

Advice. Rent if you can wait - as a demo disk (when playing short film clips) it's not really suitable as the tension needs to be built throughout the whole film.
    Buy from HK if you can put up with below par picture quality traded agains a really goo fun thrill ride.

Regards
    Alex

2. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Based on your review I bought a cpoy. And it's the first time I've bought from them too. For £9 I can't really complain. Cheers.;)

3. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Mine came in about 5 days
    Let us know how you get on

Cheers
    Alex

4. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    My copy arrived this morning.
    But it looked like it had been through the wringer.
    Bent all over.
    The disc looks(?) ok though. Will get to watch it this weekend hopefully.

Will I get to cover my eyes a lot? I love that. You don't want to be sat next to me in the cinema, I'll make you jump more than the film.:D

5. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Spoiler alert

Went to the Cinema to see this film and really enjoyed it though once you know what the twist is then the same as the sixth sense you will not want to watch it again for a very long time.

Darren

6. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    My wife and I are terrible. We make each other jump by grabbing the other's leg or arm. When one of us jumps it makes the other jump which then gets into some kind of feedback loop:D
    This film is one of the best for that
    Hope you have full range rear speakers and a sub!
    Enjoy
    Alex

7. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Darren, could you edit your post to say 'spoiler' in there somewhere.
    I didn't know the bit that you mentioned and I was glad that no one told me
    Ta
    Alex

8. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    We if I had have given away the ending I would have but considering I did not mention what happens then I had no need to did I.

9. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Okay, Spoiler alert. If you haven't seen the film then don't read below.

Just the fact that you stated that there was a huge twist in the same manner as sixth sense would've been too much for me.

The fact that the twist is INCREDIBLY similar to sixth sense lead me to post above. Besides what have you got to loose by just amending it to say 'spoiler'?

10. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Okay Alex you got me feeling guilty so I have done it sorry for that. :blush:

Darren

11. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Ok, watched last night.
    Picture quality was actually ok. Sound just as good.
    But.......................... and it's typical for me, the disc was either damamged in the post or it's just their standard of work, but it corrupted right at the bit where, Big Spoiler Now, DO NOT READ!!!

they walked in on the seance! And then it skipped back to the main menu. I tried it on my other player but the same thing happened. Now I can guess, sort of what happened next, but I'd really appreciate an e-mail to generalskanky@yahoo.co.uk to tell me what happened. I guesstimate I missed the last 5 minutes, ie, all the explanantions and whys of why they were dead. Thanks for that.

A Devastated Skanky.:( :( :(

12. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yeah, I ordered this for a friend and he brought it back to me complaining about the picture quality. For £8.96 from Hong Kong (Coolashop) I didn't think he had any real right to complain. Until I saw what he was talking about. REALLY bad noise, like horizontal white lines, on the picture so I had to reduce the brightness by about 30%.

Now I'm stuck with a movie I don't want myself.

The pitfalls of ordering cheap I suppose.