The Others R1 (Canadian)

Setenza

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I picked this two disk set up in Malta whilst on holiday in July and finally got around to watching it last night.

Now I know there has been a lot of hype in relation to this film, but I did manage to avoid most of this, thus being able to watch it with a relatively unbiased opinion.

The story unfolds in a sedate fashion, and through subtle implication and a intelligent screenplay, builds a disquietening sense of tension.

There are little or no FX shots that I was aware of and it is the editing and quality of acting that convey the sinister atmosphere.

The ending is a belter (although I'm sure most viewers would have some inclination of the outcome) and raises some interesting questions about Catholic doctrine and dogma.

This film reminded me of such classics as "The Haunting" (the original) and "The Uninvited", in it's style and technique. In these days of vacuous big budget, film making by board meeting and focus group, "The Others" really is a breath of fresh air.

I have to agree with you.

Normally, I seem to be able to spot "surprise" endings a mile off. In this case, I just didnt see it coming, even though I knew there was a twist from reading the reviews.

I think I was so involved in the film that I wasnt trying to work out the ending in advance.

I watched it on a 14" portable in our cabin on a cruise in July. It still looked good - so will be ordering it once my other discs already ordered and in transit drop off the bottom of the credit card bill.

August is a good month for DVDs, bad month for Credit Cards

I must admit that the ending was no suprise to me I guessed it about half way through. I still enjoyed the film immensely. There were one of two moments were I did feel quite unnerved. Mainly due to the sound effects and tight camera work. The sound really does build up the tension and add to the spooky feel of the film without being gimmicky. On the whole a very well put together film.

Originally posted by kevb
Mainly due to the sound effects

I have to agree and say that some of the use of the rear surrounds in The Others is about the scariest sound effects I've heard... really creepy and spooky.

One thing though, although it *seems* as thought there's not much in the way of visual effects, check the DVD extras to see how they made the exterior shots... there's LOTS of SFX at work, it's testament to their effectiveness that it's not intially noticeable.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom