The Original British Satellite Broadcasting

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Garrett, Nov 6, 2001.

1. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,812
    Does anyone who had the original BSB (British Satellite Broadcasting) miss it?

Admittedly it only had 5 channels, but it could have had 10 eventually.
    I found the standard was far higher than any of Sky’s output, it was in Dmac (digital and a better system than the present one) and I never ever had a bad picture, no mater what the weather condition (I even had 6inches of snow on my squareial, and I still got a perfect picture).

The themed channels where just right,
    GALAXY: a general entertainment channel, like SKY 1 but without the dross (daytime American quiz or chat shows) but had some real good American action, and drama series that I’ve never seen since, they even had the guts to show Dr Who from the very beginning.
    NOW: was a factual channel with thing as like Car reviews (on the style of Top Gear), Gardening, DIY, etc.
    POWER STATION: the music channel that saw an early Jono and Chris Evans.
    SPORTS CHANNEL: This speaks for itself but was in with the subscription.
    THE MOVIE CHANNEL: this you did pay extra for, but you got to see the film un-interrupted, no talking over credits.

The people who ran BSB seemed to really care about the programs, and was run on a British basis, such as 1 advert in a half hour prog and 2 in a hour prog. No talking over credits (as far as I remember), definitely not on Movies. No icons in the corner of the screen on, Galaxy, Now and Movie Channels, In fact they started putting them on NOW, but took it of because there was a complaint. You would never ever get such a response like this from Sky.
    One thing that stick out in my mind was at the time both BSB and SKY did not run all the way through the night till morning, anyway one weekend GALAXY was running a Dr Who weekend and showed two rare episodes of the Second Doctor (Patrick Troughton) and the Yeti’s, they by accident showed them in the wrong order, and they immediately apologised after and said they would be shown at midnight, the right way round. They showed them with no adverts, or any interruptions at all.
    Although 5 channels I found myself watching the stations 90-95% of viewing time, unlike the hundreds of channels I now have and watch less than 25% of the time.

BSB’s watchword was "You watch we listen" I think Sky’s is You pay, we do as we please.

:cool: Ruby quartz shades.

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Spending a million quid on there headquarters and splashing god knows how much on there own satellite and pushing technology that way beyond what was needed was a little foolish though.

Typical of the type of company it was, born and bred in the BBC tradition of spend spend and spend again without any thought of
    the need to compete in a level marketplace.

Personally, thank god it went under. If the country needed another batch of British channels then terrestrial would have done. End of the day if the public had wanted BSB's brand of satellite TV then it would be have been SKY that was consigned to the scrapheaps:)

3. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with Garrett, BSB did know how to give the viewer a good quality service. Right now it is peeing down outside and all I get from my Sky STB is, 'No satellite signal is being received'! So I am watching my prefererred digital platform, ITV Digital.