The Orange Box: Half Life 2 - Play and Help Thread

Cowden_harley

Half Life is fantastic. Goodbye Halo for me.

Its a great value package as well, you cant argue getting all this at £35-£40.

featherhall

Distinguished Member
Given that there is 5 games, I really dont understand the complaints over the price :confused:
I had to pay £45 for it, and although I cant play until tomorrow (360 is in for a repair), I cant see how the price is a problem.

D

Deleted member 92943

Well i've just had my 1st quick go and the Orange Box and i am blowed away.

Lokking at Half Life 2 it still looks amazing today and easily matches up with some of the games on 360. Brings back some awsome memories:thumbsup:

Portal looks hard, so that will take me some time :D

Team Fortress is awsome. Much better online than say Halo 3 is as it's simply just about FUN.

I seemed to get an update when i put the disc in so i assume that was for TF2 as i didn't get ANY lag while playing.

EASILY the best purchase of the year

anyone who complains when we get stuff like this in one package for the price of a single game needs to think about packing in gaming :suicide: for me this much better value than the likes of halo which imo is a great game,also visualy there are games still being released that dont look as good as half life. ive only played half life and tf2 and im allready more than happy with my purchase :smashin: oh and the way they have worked the whole acheivment thing is the best yet in any 360 game :smashin::smashin::smashin:

meweavy

Distinguished Member
this game does bring back good memories,i cant believe some people were slating the graphics..on an hd tv i would say the graphics are as good as anything out there today...

especially the lighting effects i was pretty impressed by that,the graphics were good on the pc a few years ago,and i would say they still look amazing now..

this is the best fps ever by far...

Craigy

Distinguished Member
this game does bring back good memories,i cant believe some people were slating the graphics..on an hd tv i would say the graphics are as good as anything out there today...

especially the lighting effects i was pretty impressed by that,the graphics were good on the pc a few years ago,and i would say they still look amazing now..

this is the best fps ever by far...

I have said since it came out on the PC that no game has been as revolutionary, and just played it for about 45 mins and the graphics are fantastic, its no xbox port job, its a high end PC job, which has been customized for widescreen, superb.

My only regret was I played it back then, because many of the ideas and puzzle scenarios (which are genius by the way) I have played through and wont get that same feeling again, I did play it on a crap graphics card when it came out though, so it will be nice to have some of the big set pieces stutter free.

If you are an FPS fan and think this is old hat because its erm...old, then I assure you its got more new ideas than anything you have played on the 360 so far. :thumbsup:

meweavy

Distinguished Member
i dont think this is old hat at all,even if this game was released today without it ever coming out on pc a few years ago,i think people would be even more blown away by it..its only because those who did play it kind of know what to expect..

this is my all time favourite fps and my 2nd favourite game of all time (resident evil 4 has to be my favourite game ever roll on resi 5).

but as far as fps go nothing touches this.

D

Deleted member 92943

I also found changing the settings from TV to Monitor gave a better picture. TV is a rather washed out in comparison

SibTiger33

damn u all

couldnt pick up my 360 version today - gotta wait until tomorrow

so played some pc version again - on some of my favourite levels (i will discuss the levels yet until more poeple have played it) but i gotta say... easily the best fps of all time.. fantastic fun.

wellladida

Novice Member
is portals a good enough reason to get the orange box i have no interest in half life part 2 never really like hard core games like it but portals just looks so fun. im either going to get pgr4 or half life seeing as i only want portals should i bother

Markoos

Just played up to about 2/3 through Water Hazard. Still the best game ever made imo. Graphics look stunning to me. Not as technologically sophisticated as say, Gears, but in terms of artistry it's absolutely unsurpassed.

It's the first time I'd played it in 5.1 as well and wow! Probably the best surround sound I've heard on a 360 title, it's incredible.

Anyway I'm playing through all the titles in order... I think I can kiss the outside world goodbye for a while :rolleyes:

MANGABOY

Theres a option in the menu to enable or disable something called Sticky sprint. What exactly is that?

CAS FAN

Distinguished Member
This game is still as good as it was back when it was released. Stuck a couple of hours in earlier (before getting sucked in by the fantastic Portal!) and it all came flooding back. It's still the best FPS game out there for my money and The Orange Box is possibly the best ever game package that i've bought. :)

CeeJay775

This game is still as good as it was back when it was released. Stuck a couple of hours in earlier (before getting sucked in by the fantastic Portal!) and it all came flooding back. It's still the best FPS game out there for my money and The Orange Box is possibly the best ever game package that i've bought. :)
Me too, mate. Its like an old friend from the minute I started playing, I am just so glad that I haven't played Ep 1 or 2 yet that'll be new for me and was worth the price alone. Surely bargin of the year. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

meweavy

Distinguished Member
yep same here. monitor is def better on my elite connected to sony bravia :)
how do you change the settings from tv to moniter?can you do that on all hd tv,s?im confused...

Hi/zuum

how do you change the settings from tv to moniter?can you do that on all hd tv,s?im confused...

there's television/monitor settings in the options on the game. I know what people are saying about prefering Monitor. It does give more saturated colours but it seems to me at the expense of detail in the darker areas & I think I'd rather see everything clearly. It's set to Television on my Sony Bravia.

Markoos

Theres a option in the menu to enable or disable something called Sticky sprint. What exactly is that?

Well the LB is the spring button and you have to hold it down to use it, so I guess Sticky Spring just means it's toggled on or off.

Ol!ver

Loving this game...i remember the physics being great, specially when you blow up the flamable drums!

Sadly though the only bad side for me that happened as well when I played HL2 on my old PC is I get motion sickness from playing! Valve use a ccertain POV and it makes me what to hurl after about an hour of playing.

Only means I have to play in smaller bursts really so no major biggie.

Lovin Portal as well...the womans voice is brilliant.

I've noticed that this is the first game that's given me motion sickness. Don't remember it on the PC, but this is obvioulsy running on a much larger screen.

As for the TV/Monitor setting, mine's set to TV. Monitor made everything too dark.

Hi/zuum

Well, I've done a quick comparison with the Xbox Half Life 2 & the Orange Box HL2. WOW! The difference is remarkable, the graphics, smoothness, lighting (TV setting) is soooo much better. Ok the Xbox one is set to 480p 4:3 but the graphics are so much darker, blurry & undefined. The 360 one set to 720p/WideS, (setting Television) is so much lighter, the graphics sharper, the framerate so much smoother, OMG is just incredible the difference. You can't tell me there wasn't some major overhaul in this version & for people convinced in the 360 Monitor setting, when you pull into the station at the beginning, the walkthrough tunnel into the seating area, check the pay phone & the bin, both are almost lost in the dark with it set on Monitor whereas on Television both are visible & defined.

meweavy

Distinguished Member
there's television/monitor settings in the options on the game. I know what people are saying about prefering Monitor. It does give more saturated colours but it seems to me at the expense of detail in the darker areas & I think I'd rather see everything clearly. It's set to Television on my Sony Bravia.
ok cheers,i,ll have a look at that later,although i think the picture looks pretty impressive already on my tv(i love hd the best thing since sliced bread).but i,ll take a look anyway.

meweavy

Distinguished Member
Well, I've done a quick comparison with the Xbox Half Life 2 & the Orange Box HL2. WOW! The difference is remarkable, the graphics, smoothness, lighting (TV setting) is soooo much better. Ok the Xbox one is set to 480p 4:3 but the graphics are so much darker, blurry & undefined. The 360 one set to 720p/WideS, (setting Television) is so much lighter, the graphics sharper, the framerate so much smoother, OMG is just incredible the difference. You can't tell me there wasn't some major overhaul in this version & for people convinced in the 360 Monitor setting, when you pull into the station at the beginning, the walkthrough tunnel into the seating area, check the pay phone & the bin, both are almost lost in the dark with it set on Monitor whereas on Television both are visible & defined.

the very beginning of the game when you walk into the station,i was very impressed,now i know it sounds nerdy but the graphics of the lighting especially the shiny surface on the floors were very impressive..how anybody can say the graphics are ropey is beyond me...

marcstang

..how anybody can say the graphics are ropey is beyond me...

I agree. I'm pleasently surprised on how good it looks after all the negative reviews. Sure, it's no Bioshock, but there are 5 games on that disc so it makes more than up for it.

I'm off to Ravensholm now ....... someon hold me ...... I'm already scared.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

PSB Speakers unveils Passif 50 loudspeaker
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Samsung Gaming Hub goes live
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Huawei unveils FreeBuds Pro 2 true wireless earbuds
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sony unveils Inzone gaming brand