The Orange box - any good?

Only prob is, for some reason it gives me terrible motion sickness and I can only play in 30min stints which is really annoying. I've never had this problem before, so I'm not sure what's going on with this game?

Not had it myself but on the PC version it was something to do with feeling like you had tunnel vision, from what I remember they patched it, not sure about the 360 though, would have thought it would include any of the PC fixes:

http://www.warp2search.net/half-life-2-is-making-me-sick-literally-s20871.html

Already played Half-Life 2 on my PC but still loving playing it again. I managed Ravenholm using only the gravity gun the other day and that was terrifying and a reasonable challenge on normal. I kept having to run about as I didn't have things to throw at the quick zombies on the roofs and the bit where I was waiting for the bucket lift was brilliant! I found myself running about at times having run out of saw blades and managed to shut one in a room and then sat outside listening to its scrabbling and howling and hoping it couldn't open doors!

Portal has to be one of the best single player experiences I've had in a while - loved every minute and thought the humour was spot on. I can't stop humming the theme tune either...

Already played Half-Life 2 on my PC but still loving playing it again. I managed Ravenholm using only the gravity gun the other day and that was terrifying and a reasonable challenge on normal. I kept having to run about as I didn't have things to throw at the quick zombies on the roofs and the bit where I was waiting for the bucket lift was brilliant! I found myself running about at times having run out of saw blades and managed to shut one in a room and then sat outside listening to its scrabbling and howling and hoping it couldn't open doors!

Portal has to be one of the best single player experiences I've had in a while - loved every minute and thought the humour was spot on. I can't stop humming the theme tune either...

Your same as me, i ran around one part and jsut thought no no no no leave me alone shotting everything i could, think i fell and landed on a little ledge and got lucky.

Portal i agree i loved, i would be stood there for 5 minutes saying

'Right... put a portal there and put another one there, that should move that to there, but how am i going to get that to go there, and if that goes there what am i going to do with that'

But its great having to work out the stuff, so clever, i actually got a few head aches from it.
Some rooms just seemed impossible i would be looking around saying well dont see how i can do anything here, then when your in the zone thats it, i played it for liek 2 hour bursts, as once in my thinking cap zone that was it, i was away!

Great game

No need to mention HL2 ... its legendary!!

orange box is great for its price, half life 2 alone could qualify for a full game but you get two good sized half life add on packs, portal ( a fun puzzle game), and team fortress which is an amazing multiplayer game.

It's a great package
I've just finished Episode 2....... after playing HL2 and Episode One
I want to play them again now to get some of the achievements I missed
Like Ravenholme with only the gravity gun...blimey it was tough enough
with all weapons available :D
Not as tough tho as the end bit on EP2 defending the base from all those striders :cool:

Portal is great too....but a couple of those advanced maps are real stinkers
and those two are going to take some beating methinks

Just finished episode 2. I managed an 11 hr stint on monday on a day off from work. finished the main game, episode 1 and episode 2. Brilliant! I'd say it's the best game I've played and I've been a nerd for 20 yrs now playing games!
I can't understand complaints about the graphics. Maybe I'm a fanboy now and am just not looking objectively or something??:)

Great game. Absolutely amazing value of you havent played the half life games before. Must buy really...I never played episode 1 and 2 so worth buying just for those.

Team Fortress 2 was a huge disappointment though :(

just thought i'd mention for those who havent bought yet, (me included) its only £19.99 this week on shopto.net

just thought i'd mention for those who havent bought yet, (me included) its only £19.99 this week on shopto.net

I already have it but at that price thats £3.99 per game.:eek:

Orange Box is terrific. I used to play HL a lot and I don't agree with these dated graphics comments at all. I think the game looks fantastic, plays brilliantly.

Portal is hilarious as is TF and to complete both episodes of HL takes about 20 hours straight.

I cannot find it?

I have never tried TF2 yet, would like to but none of my mates at work or on my friends list have this, I understand you really need to talk to each other for a plan of attack so teaming up with Teen America is not very appealling.

http://www.shopto.net/page.php?page=dettagli&codart=XB2HA06

Yeah I bought it yesterday for £19.99 as a "weekly special", but it looks like they have finished it or something.

Yeah it was their second weekly special as the first one had run out. The The orange box for £19.99 delivered was put out as a replacement and they sold 300 copies in 24 hours and sold out! worked out as £19.19 if quidco was used:smashin:

I picked one up and it arrived yesterday:clap: The graphics and atmosphere in 5.1 is incredible and ive only played it for about an hour having never previously played any of the HL series but iam a big fan of FPS.

This game is definately on my wanted list. Jut going to wait for it to be on special again somewhere. Gutted I missed it at £19.99 :(

hi

i had this game ,but although it was great i ended up trading it in , because i found it made me unwell (dizzy) . i play other games and im fine?

I play a heck of a lot of games and Episode 2 was my favourite title of last year. It's full of the classic set pieces that Half-Life is famed for, the bits that didn't seem to appear as much in Episode 1. And despite what some (misguided) people say, it's graphically stunning in parts.

The Orange Box as a package is awesome and for under twenty quid you'd be absolutely mad not to get involved.

I'm thinking about getting this for my new laptop. Just so I'd have at least one game to play on it, it's not very powerful and certainly isn't a gaming PC (i've got a 360 for games) but my question is about Team Fortress 2, is there any single player aspect to this game at all?

Because if it's just online multiplayer I don't think I'll get any play out of it, my laptop may not be able to play the orange box at all, but online with Team Fortress 2 I can say now would most likely be a real struggle.

Cheers, if you know anything about PCs I have 3 GB ram, 2.00GHZ, 128mb graphics card. Let me know if that'll run it on low. :smashin:

I'm thinking about getting this for my new laptop. Just so I'd have at least one game to play on it, it's not very powerful and certainly isn't a gaming PC (i've got a 360 for games) but my question is about Team Fortress 2, is there any single player aspect to this game at all?

Because if it's just online multiplayer I don't think I'll get any play out of it, my laptop may not be able to play the orange box at all, but online with Team Fortress 2 I can say now would most likely be a real struggle.

Cheers, if you know anything about PCs I have 3 GB ram, 2.00GHZ, 128mb graphics card. Let me know if that'll run it on low. :smashin:

Team Fortress is a MP game mate. You can set up System Link matches on 360, so you could probably do local matches on PC - don't know if that's any use to you. There's no SP element to it though.

You should be able to find the minimum system requirements on any site that sells the game.

Orange Box should run just fine on that laptop. The Half Life games as well as Portal and Team Fortress aren't very demanding when it comes to resources. Regards Team Fortress it's a multiplayer game only. Keep in mind also that EA and Valve just recently announced they will be offering the games in the Orange Box seperately soon. I'm not sure whether this is only going to be on Steam for download or in retail too though.

Team Fortress 2 was a huge disappointment though :(

TF2 is not your normal online shoot'em'up.

It MUST be played as a team to get enjoyment out of it, i'm a huge fan but i admit, if you join a random game, and dont talk to anyone it can be rubbish, and quickly turn people away from it.

Thanks guys :thumbsup:, one of the main reasons I'm thinking about getting this game is to see what all the fuss is about Portal it also seems like great value too. I've no idea how to system link to honest, would it be possible to play this game with a wired 360 controller? Is there anything I have to do to set that up?

(I only have wireless ones currently but a wired one could be used on the 360 and laptop then)

Just started playing HL2 and enjoying it immensely. Brings back memories of HL1 (which I actually only got round to completed around 6 months ago!!).

I like the fact that so far, at no point have I hit a brick wall and got completely stumped, so I think they've got the puzzle-elements just right.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom