The Onkyo 606 Owners Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well now that people have started to receive their units it would be good to hear of any impressions people have. I'll probably be ordering mine very soon so it would be good to hear what the early adopters have to say.

Important Links for Onkyo TX-SR606:

Manual

[I'll update these as they come up]

15644935_4c87b37082.jpg

15644939_61b9e46146.jpg

15644941_c1dc37662e.jpg

The wait is over!!!!! I picked up my 606 from Audio-T in Cheltenham today. First impressions are jaw dropping. I decided to treat myslef to some new cabling whilst I was at it - Chord Epic with factory plugs. Out of the box it's a heavy piece of kit. The quick start guide is similar to my friend's from the 605 so i was familiar with it. Set up was easy - if you plan to use banana plugs on your cabling be sure to remove the small plastic inserts in the ends of the terminals on the amp with a sharp knife (patience required) otherwise the plugs won't go in. Small point but the manual makes no mention of banana plug cabling!

Anyway, got everything connected and voila! First off was the CD test using a Sony SACD player running a normal audio CD (Dream Theater - 20th Anniversary Concert, Live!) and using co-axial output. The Onkyo needed telling what input to use for that connection which was easy. Now, from using a Yamaha A595, which has always been very musical to me, I was nervous about the musicality of the Onkyo. I need not have worried.

Mid tones and treble were noticable better than the Yammy. Sublteties on cymbals and clarity of vocals were stunning. I apprecaite the Chord Epics were partly responsible but even so this is encouraging! Lots of modes are available but i decided on Stereo as an optimal setting rather then messing around with DSP modes (of which the Neo6 option sounded rather good).

So far so good.

Next up was to fire up the Samsung BDP1400 Blu Ray player. I opted for X-Men3 to test this out. OH MY GOD! On the auto setting the Onkyo chose a Dolby mode (can't remember which one, sorry). Then I checked the player settings - turned off downsampling etc.. and made sure I output uncompressed from the player.

Then I hit the 'Pure Audio' button.

Then I hit the floor.

Now I have heard many demo's in shops etc.. on all manner of expensive systems but I can't remember being blown away like this! Where do I begin? Well, I have not yet set up the speakers (Mission Volare's all round) with the setup mic so this review is as out-of the-box as it comes. The centre channel has come to life! Gone are the dull flat tones and harsh dialogue, now I have warmth and precision at even the loudest of volumes (well, you gotta turn it up haven't you?). I am also amazed at the depth of the sound and how easy it is to listen to. The fronts exploded into life instantly and during the last battle scene the expolsions (through two KEF subs) nearly made my bowels implode! All delivered with stunning clarity and no chaotic booming or bottoming out. Just precise, tight, instant low frequency bliss. Light years away from my old Yamaha. I can't believe how much detail is in the soundtrack once you hear it uncompressed. Truly staggering. God bless HDMI 1.3a and True HD audio.

Not tested the TV upscaling yet (well I do have VirginMedia so what can you do with such a manky signal to begin with?). I dont hold out much hope that this wonderful amp can do anything about that.

I guess that once I have let the whole thing bed in and run the speaker setup function I will be even more impressed than I am at the moment.

Don't have reservations about this amp - buy it. I heard my friend's 605 and I thought that was good but this thing is another leap forward.

Beautifully musical (the 605's achilles heel?), rounded, crystal clear. Easy to connect, easy to set-up and a doddle to use (so far!).

Want one? Thought so.

can you set up all four HDMI inputs, as well as, both Components to run without having to reallocate them in the menus? there seems to be some confusion about this in the other thread.

having six active inputs would be a real deal sealer on this amp...

Any chance of some pics of the OSD??

Also does the front of the amp display what speakers are being used (my current yamaha does)

Still tempted with this but really like the look of the new Pioneer due out soon

1st post for me :thumbsup:

Just ordered one now and should be with me tomorrow. No expert but once I have it all setup I'll drop a line with my two cents.

Anyway, got everything connected and voila! First off was the CD test using a Sony SACD player running a normal audio CD (Dream Theater - 20th Anniversary Concert, Live!) and using co-axial output. The Onkyo needed telling what input to use for that connection which was easy. Now, from using a Yamaha A595, which has always been very musical to me, I was nervous about the musicality of the Onkyo. I need not have worried.

Are you using digital cocoax to output fromt he CD player? If so I'd suggest using a good pair of analog interconnects and using those instead, thus using the DAC in the CD player, which is quite likely (depending of course on the quality of the CD player compared to the amp) to be better than the multi-purpose DAC in the amp, as it is designed just for the job of converting the CD players output.

I initially hooked up my Marantz CD player to my Marantz amp using digital coax and while it sounded very detailed and crisp, it was never really singing to me. A decent pair of interconnects later and using the analogue input on the amp made a world of difference!!!

Good to hear your thoughts on the amp as I am in need of a new one soon (my poor marantz is dying) and this is one I am considering.

Valve

just got mine yesterday and I'm really happy. One minor niggle is that my Xbox 360 through component look better set to 1080i on the onkyo and there only seems to be one master setting ie can't set my ps3 or samsung dvd to use 720p and the xbox to use 1080i. As far as I know anyway.

This is my first AV amp so I'm finding the listening modes a bit confusing- mine is set to theater dimensional at the moment. The pure audio thing confuses me- is this the highest def setting as it's meant to be listened to? It sounds a little flat compared to theater- to my ears anyway. Have a lot more fiddling about to do though.

All in all happy bunny

can you set up all four HDMI inputs, as well as, both Components to run without having to reallocate them in the menus? there seems to be some confusion about this in the other thread.

having six active inputs would be a real deal sealer on this amp...

I'd like to know this too.

The four HDMI inputs are are assignable in the OSD (I will try and get some pictures posted this evening).

All inputs have to be assigned to an 'Input selector'. These are: DVD, VCR/DVR, CBL/SAT, GAME/TV, AUX, TAPE & CD. Thats it - seven input selectors. If you are connecting four HDMI inputs (e.g. SKY HD, PS3, DVD Upscaler etc..) then you manually assign each selector to the relevant HDMI input you put the cable into. If you are connecting a Wii, for instance, via component then connect to the rear on the 'IN1' row of terminals then go into the OSD choose the 'GAME/TV and select 'IN1' as the input source.

You will have to allocate and check all inputs in the menu's (to answer the question above). It is shipped with default setting but i doubt that these will be relevant to most people as everyone has different devices with different outputs. This takes 30 seconds to be honest - just pull up the OSD and look at the list of Input Selectors, whizz down each one and tell it what you've connected it to.

Though I dont have six devices to connect up (rubberducker, you lucky man!!) I cannot see any reason why four HDMI and component cant be all used at the same time.

As far as using analogue interconnects for my CD player (valve90210 - thanks for that) I agree completely. I know that a real nice pair of interconnects will sound better, pity I have blown all my cash on the amp and cabling!! I will take your advice though and put these on my shopping list.

I wish I could help with the XBOX360 1080i issue (anolanbfg) but I don't have a games console so I am a bit dumb on this one.

If you plan to run Pure Audio then bear in mind the following: The BluRay disc (does HDDVD have uncompressed audio?) must support uncompressed audio or show something like that, the player must be set to stream to the amp with no upsampling and with Bitstream selected. Let the Onkyo do the rest. I think that your HDMI leads have to be version 1.3a to support Tru HD Audio (Onkyo's call this Pure HD). Maybe someone can clarify this?

All in know is that Xmen3 played last night with all the crap turned off on my BluRay player, output using a QED 1.3a HDMI lead and the big blue button pressed on the amp for Pure Audio. And yes, I still cannot believe how incredible it sounds.

Thanks for the questions but it's time to go play with the speaker setup device. Hope I have been some help. Keep the questions coming - I will do my best to plough through the manual and answer them.

Can you rename the inputs?

Thanks for your extensive thoughts eduardo, certainly very helpful. :)

No you cannot rename the inputs as far as I can tell. If you have a crappy Virgin box with a SCART output the only way I can input a TV signal to the amp is to use an adapter with standard RCA and S-VIDEO outputs (might buy a SCART to component one from Maplins tomorrow) but having done this the picture now looks worse than normal! I had been using a quality IXOS SCART lead previously and (I can't believe I am saying this) I do prefer it to the new method. However, I shall press on regardless and try to get a signal through the amp that looks better than the one I have at the moment.

I am eager to see how the Onkyo handles a broadcast signal, just to see whether it's better or worse than taking the Virgin feed direct to the TV (Pioneer PDP506XD Plasma). More as it comes.

How do you connect a virgin media box to an SR606?

It's currently connected via scart directly to the tv but the SR606 doesn't have a scart connection.

Thanks!
:hiya:

Today I decided to buy it, found a black on locally, picked it up and it is now set up. Sounds awesome.

I have a question though that someone might be able to answer. Not sure I am settting my Sky HD up to it right. I have HDMI in from the Sky to Onkyo (sky does not send DD5.1 through this), so I have optical into Digital in. Can someone help me clarify how I should be setting it up to use the Digital input for sound

How do you connect a virgin media box to an SR606?

It's currently connected via scart directly to the tv but the SR606 doesn't have a scart connection.

Thanks!

Aaah, the great question!!!! Same here. Several options, you can buy a scart to RCA/Phono adapter (a yellow, red and white output) and corresponding leads, and put up with pants picture. Next up the quality scale is to still run the RCA for audio but buy the same adapter with an S-Video output. Take an S-Video from here into the CABLE/SAT input on the amp. The Onkyo automatically detects the S-Video input (just as well as you can't assign composite or S-Video in the Input Assign menu in the OSD).
Next is to run component cables to IN1 or IN2 on the amp. You will have to assign these to CABLE/SAT in Option 2 of the Input Assign menu. I haven't cracked the audio side of this option yet - brain on meltdown!!!!

Last option is HDMI - dont bother with these SCART to HDMI boxes on eBay, trust me they are crap! My friend has one and the picture looks no different to running a composite (yellow) cable - and he paid £70 for it!

You could always ring Virgin, tell them that their service, products and standards are woeful and demand they give you a shiny new one with some output other than SCART on it or you upgrade to V+ and get HDMI output.

I will ring Virgin tomorrow and post back what happens.

Today I decided to buy it, found a black on locally, picked it up and it is now set up. Sounds awesome.

I have a question though that someone might be able to answer. Not sure I am settting my Sky HD up to it right. I have HDMI in from the Sky to Onkyo (sky does not send DD5.1 through this), so I have optical into Digital in. Can someone help me clarify how I should be setting it up to use the Digital input for sound

In the OSD go to Input Assign and choose Option 3. Under CABLE/SAT (I assume you are using this input for the picture) select the audio input as OPT1 (or OPT2 depending on which hole you put it in). What this should do is allow HDMI to handle the picture signal and Digital Input to handle the Optical input.

The flaw in my theory will be if HDMI (which we know carries audio) from Sky box is carrying an audio signal, in which case the Onkyo might get confused as it is programmed by default to select HDMI before anything else!!! You will have to try it and post back. Good luck....

hi people.
i recieved my 606 a few days ago, ugrading from a years old sony and to be honest im overwelmed with info. i miss the days of dts and dd, now i have all these options and settings. i have so far managed to get my ps3 sing but im struggling with the hddvd addon for 360. the problem i have is it only shows dolby digital not dolby digital plus, is this right?(shouldnt the reciever say multi channel like my ps3).

also ive read about using pure audio, direct or multi channel whats the difference between them?

im sorry if some of this is available via search, but when i do the answers seem to confuse me, probably due to to fact ive been hawking these forums intensely for weeks for a tv, projector and amp.

any help will do.

cheers guys!

Very interest to see peoples views on this and how they are connecting up things, I'm going to try and get hold of one at the weekend and want to connect up my SKY HD, PS3 and Xbox 360 (non HDMI one :( )

:thumbsup:

OK, solved my problem. Connected SKYHD using Component and Optical. Works a treat. Tomorrow I expect to take delivery of my Panasonic 46PZ85B. When I get that I will connect Sky to it with HDMI also. That way when I'm watching normal telly, I can just go straight to the Panny, and when I want cool sound, I can fire up the Onkyo.

BTW, just tried my XBox connected by HDMI and tried Call of Duty 4. OMG it was totally awesome. Fan freakin' tastic.

Looking forward to watching I Am Legend, on my new Panny, through my Onkyo in True HD sound.

Next up the quality scale is to still run the RCA for audio but buy the same adapter with an S-Video output. Take an S-Video from here into the CABLE/SAT input on the amp. The Onkyo automatically detects the S-Video input (just as well as you can't assign composite or S-Video in the Input Assign menu in the OSD).

Thanks for your suggestions! :thumbsup::clap: I'm a total newbie to all of this so on the option above I would need an RCA cable and an s-video cable? I've looked online but I'm fecked if I can make any sense of all of the cables available! Any chance you could post some links for these? Are they available from the likes of Comet/Currys etc?
:thumbsup:

Picked up my 606 yesterday and am waiting for my Movie CD102's to arrive before I can begin to replace my all in one Sony system. :clap:

I am a complete noob when it comes to this sort of thing, so be prepared for some very noobie questions later in the thread!! :blush:

The four HDMI inputs are are assignable in the OSD (I will try and get some pictures posted this evening).

All inputs have to be assigned to an 'Input selector'. These are: DVD, VCR/DVR, CBL/SAT, GAME/TV, AUX, TAPE & CD. Thats it - seven input selectors. If you are connecting four HDMI inputs (e.g. SKY HD, PS3, DVD Upscaler etc..) then you manually assign each selector to the relevant HDMI input you put the cable into. If you are connecting a Wii, for instance, via component then connect to the rear on the 'IN1' row of terminals then go into the OSD choose the 'GAME/TV and select 'IN1' as the input source.

You will have to allocate and check all inputs in the menu's (to answer the question above). It is shipped with default setting but i doubt that these will be relevant to most people as everyone has different devices with different outputs. This takes 30 seconds to be honest - just pull up the OSD and look at the list of Input Selectors, whizz down each one and tell it what you've connected it to.

Though I dont have six devices to connect up (rubberducker, you lucky man!!) I cannot see any reason why four HDMI and component cant be all used at the same time.

Can you assign a component or HDMI source to the AUX, Tape or CD input selectors? So that for example your setup looks like this:

DVD - HDMI 1
VCR/DVR - HDMI 2
CBL/SAT - HDMI 3
GAME/TV - HDMI4
AUX
TAPE - COMP
CD - COMP 1

for example?

If you can, then you can use the full 6 inputs, if you cant then you will be limited to any 4 inputs from the 6 you can connect and people with more the 4 devices will need to reassign the inputs in the menus.

I think the AUX input is only for the svideo and optical etc inputs on the front panel and the TAPE and CD inputs will be audio only.

I don't think so. The Aux input relates to the sockets on the front of the amp (I guess for a quick hook up of a camcorder etc.) It only has the usual three phono sockets for video and sound.
Got mine yesterday and looking forward to the w/end!

I don't think so. The Aux input relates to the sockets on the front of the amp (I guess for a quick hook up of a camcorder etc.) It only has the usual three phono sockets for video and sound.
Got mine yesterday and looking forward to the w/end!

What about the TAPE and CD inputs can you assign a component or HDMI to that and still have the four other inputs assigned at the same time?

The problem is we have had loads of people saying that they "don't think so". And then a load of others say "I think you can"

Any chance you can 100% confirm that you can or can't please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom