The ongoing upgrade dilema...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Kootuu, Aug 23, 2004.

1. Kootuu

Kootuu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hey,

Ok I recently visited my local hi-fi dealer to speak about my upgrade options. I am currently running the following set up:

Kef KHT2005 Mk1 Speakers/Sub
    Sony STR-DB940 Amp
    Harmon Kardon DVD22

I am perfectly happy with the Amp and DVD player - it's the speakers I am thinking of changing.

Now at the moment I do not have the room for floorstanders so I was thinking I would just upgrade the center for the time being. I originally wanted to purchase the Kef Q6c, which my dealer told me would vastly improve the set up. But he also said while it was good, it did not compare to the Dynaudio 42 Center. Now I can get the Q6c for £110 and the Dynaudio 42 for £250(Maybe a bit less). I'm not too bothered about the extra money.

He said I would be kicking myself if I went for the Q6c over the Dynaudio so I'm not quite sure what to do? I would like to demo the Q6c against the Dynaudio's but he doesn't hold any Dem stock anymore.

Now I know my g/f is not going to like either set ups - perhaps the Kef KHT5005 are the beter option? What other alternatives are there? The dealer seemed to recommend the Dynaudio's over everything within my budget.

I'm looking to pay about £250 for the center and £400 for the two fronts. The rears can wait and are not a big issue with the KHT2005's, they do a good job of that. I will also eventually be replacing the sub but I am totally clueless about those...

Cheers,
    Chris

2. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi Darthmahon,
    I'm not a surround sound person but having listened to some systems (I am no expert) I believe it's important to keep the front 3 the same or similar. When sound travels across the speakers from left to right you want the sound have the same dynamics and to flow. I believe different speakers would cause problems here. (If i'm wrong please correct me!)
    If I were you i'd look to upgrade my equipment before the speakers. A speaker after all should only reproduce the signal that is sent to it. Some speakers colour the sound to a degree. The speakers the dealer recommended could just be a better sonic match for your equipment. If so then good, but beware! A speaker upgrade to improve a system is not generally a good idea and can end in big disapointment. If you can, try to arrange a home demo with your own kit. It will sound a lot different to the shop!
    I'm not familiar with your setup but as a general rule you would get a bigger improvment by upgrading your source or amplifiers thus improving the signal to the speakers.
    Good luck

3. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    It is generally best to keep the front 3 speakers from the same maker and the same range if possible to keep the sound balance the same. I have heard good things about dynaudiance speakers but have never listened to them myself so cant comment. I believe the Q6c will make a great difference to the front sound stage and would keep the sound sonically the same. For the price of the Dyn 42 centre you could get the Q9c and at a later date get the Q4 to match. Small, stylish and compact floor standers. You could also sell of some of the eggs to finance the fronts and use the rest in the surround 5.1 etc.

There is some debate to if the 5005 series are really worth the money that Kef want for them. Look on this forum for the debate.

As for the sub you might want to go and look in the sub forum in the Sticky Budget sub test as they have the usual subjects tested in the price range I suspect you would want to spend. Also subs dont have to be front the same make as the main or surround speakers so you can use who ever takes your fancy :devil:

Im afraid I also agree with the point of upgrading your source first as a poor signel out of poor speakers will sound worse out of better speakers. BTW im not saying your speakers are poor, its just an analogy.

4. Kootuu

Kootuu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hey,

I have heard I should keep them the same - but I was told that if I wanted to upgrade the whole fronts in the future, I might as well go with the Dynaudio for now and then upgrade the fronts to Dynaudio also.

Are there any Monitor Audio options? I'm really looking for some model options - I don't want to upgrade my Amp at the moment although I am aware that it might not be the best amp, a few years ago it was alright apparently??

Anyone know where I could demo the Kef's? I know Sevenoaks won't price match the £109 for the Q6c so I won't go there - I'm in London.

Cheers,
    Chris

5. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I guess you'd be looking at the MA bronze range. I haven't heard it myself but by all accounts there pretty good. I know some people seem to go for the Silvers as fronts and the bronze as rears. Like I said i'm no expert on surround so I'd get someone else to verify this!

6. Kootuu

Kootuu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Thanks for the info.

Well, the MA's look ok - similar prices as well.

My only concern about the Dynaudio's is that they seem to be mainly for hi-fi, would they fit in a av set up?

7. Kootuu

Kootuu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hi,

Just wondering if anyone else has something to add? I'm still a bit clueless on my options really.

I just want something that is going to sound more punchier while at the same time allowing me good upgrade paths in the future. I'm assuming the Kef's will do this, but so will the Dynaudio's. Are there any other brands out there who you would recommend? I was told to stay clear of Mission as they produce for the mass market now, the quality of their products is not so great. Monitor Audio seem good and so do Mordant.

But not sure the Mordant Short's would provide a step forward from the eggs? It needs to improve on the eggs drastically to make it worth it.

How about the Aegis Evo series? Or a canton product - although they seem to be lifestyle speakers more than anything.

Cheers,
    Chris

8. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    The Acoustic Energy Evo series are some good speakers for the money. Superbly musical and put out some real power with H/C. I didnt think you where after floor standers. The small evo's:
    http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/1277
    Are superb front speakers in there own right and also make powerful, if a little focused rears. You could buy a couple of these and the centre then upgrade them to the Evo 3's at a later date and then sell the stands and use them as rears. :devil: