The Omen Trilogy, is it cut?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Setenza, Aug 20, 2002.

1. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    Okay folk, quite a while back there was a thread (possibly instigated by Pooch) asking if Damien: Omen II had been cut for region2 release. Specifically the crow attack. The general concensus was that it didn't seem as bloody as what people remembered (as this film used to regularly do the rounds on ITV).

Now there is no evidence of cutting by the BBFC, as there websites verifies, so is this a case of the distributors submitting a "toned down " print. Now as this was FOX who initially put out that crap version of "Predator", then it is possible.

Anway, I finally got round to collecting a US boxset (which also includes the Omen IV which was made for cable TV and is not included in the UK boxset) and have checked out the crow attack sev eral times.

The initial attack mainly shows close ups of the crow pulling hair and flapping about. You see some brief shots of the lady with blood round her eyes, but the eyeballs are actually still intact.

She then falls in a ditch where the attack continues. It is at this point (38 27 time) that you see a shot of her empty bleeding sockets. You do not see the beak of the bird at any time physically enter the sockets. It is not as extreme as the similar attack in Argento's "Opera" for instance.

Now I cannot say for sure if this is identicle to the UK version. I'll try and insert a screen capture for comparison. may be you guys with UK versions can review your copies and see if it is as described. Perhaps there is no difference and the scene just left a far stronger impression than what it actually showed. I find this happens a lot with particular films I saw as a child.

Let me know your thoughts.

[​IMG]

2. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi Xusia,

Yep, it was me who instigated the original "Omen 2" thread. ;)

Well, I can confirm that "Omen 2" must have been cut. I have checked and rechecked the UK DVD edition, and there is definitely some snipped footage.

The film has been on ITV twice, since the UK DVD release, and both times, ITV showed the same sanitised print that the DVD came from.

Now, an eyeball being pecked out, is not something many people would tend to forget. So, it seems mightily odd that so many of the Forum members, (including myself) remember the lady having her eyeball going AWOL. It also seems odd that one minute, the lady has both her eyes, and in the next scene, they are bloodied and one socket/cavity is... well, not whole, shall we say?!

Unless someone has an old 20th Century Fox Video home video edition to check for us, I can only presume that Fox did indeed submit a pre-cut or "edited-for-TV" print for use on the UK DVD, and that it is identical to the US Region 1 edition, just as they did with "Predator".

According to the BBFC, the 1978 cinema print ran at 106m 43s. In 1987, the video release was 102m 26s. In 2001, the video and DVD re-release was 102m 26s as well. However, this doesn't mean that:
    - the uncut version was not released onto video. It may well have appeared prior to the 1984 Video Recordings Act coming into play.
    - Nor does it mean that a longer "Damien: Omen II" does not exist. It just means that this particular cut of the movie, is the one most frequently classified in the UK.

The only other reason I can think that this footage is missing, is that it has since become deleted so frequently from so many prints, that an uncut print is no longer easily available to Fox to use on new DVD or video releases. However, I severly doubt this. I just think that Fox haven't bothered to actually check the print they were submitting was uncut.

Pooch

3. Ignatious

Ignatious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have posted this point before, but as we are back on topic...Final Conflict is also cut. In the scene where damian is 'blooding peter', in the old version, we see peter sucking the blood from the hanky. In the new 'clean' version this crucial second or so is missing.

However, the new version looks far more suspect now, as peters evil look seems to be caused by the touch of damian's hand. Dodgy or what!