the old TAG site

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by GrahamMG, Sep 11, 2004.

1. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    Hi all.

Although I might regret saying this, I've been wading through several years of saved files from the old TAG site and having due regard for copyright issues, if anyone wants to ask for various ditty's they remember as being most useful, (files, posts, technical papers, diagrams etc etc.) I'll have a look through and see what I turn up. Some of the stuff is obviously public domain but anything that looks a bit "copyright" I'll have to ask various people first before posting and of course a bit of patience is required as I was surprised just how much there was (well over a 1Gb.....). I apparently posted the very last post on the beta forum for instance which is now framed above my desk! As I do have a day job, be gentle on me :lease:

2. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
  3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Very kind indeed,Graham,and I'm sure your offer will be much appreciated.

4. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    If you want to chat some more about sorting a centralised store for some of this stuff I'd be "all ears".

5. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Graham....we'd spoken a bit about this sort of thing previously in this forum(not to yourself of course!)and at that time,Stuart(the admin here,Spectre)had indicated that webspace may be available.

Maybe you could give him a PM and see what,if any of the files might be useful,and available for access here.

6. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,542
    Happy to store a repository of essential downloads. Not sure about a Gig's worth, though !

7. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    I may be able to find an offline home for some of the less useful stuff if you wish,if it's any help.

8. WillyP

WillyP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Graham,

Thank you very much for your kind offer! I would like to ask you a favour and it has become very important for me. Would it be possible for you to search for the conversation I had (under the name "Willy Piers from the Netherlands") with Dr Udo about the sticky door problems of my DVD32R? Dr Udo has promised me that the problems with the door mechanism and with the seizing motor would be repaired free of charge, even after the warranty period. He advised me - if I could wait - to have it repaired when there would be an upgrade for the DVD32R. My E-mail address is [email protected].

Thank you again.

Willy

9. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    Hi Willy.

I remember the thread well as it was a subject so close to my heart.... ;)

I asked David Patching (Director of marketing IAG) specifically the question regarding the DVD32R door mech and was told that as far as he was concerned it was very much business as usual and they had every intention of honouring promises Udo and Co had made to the full. So put the free door mech fix to the test mate and let us know what happens. I'm not aware of any upgrade to the DVD32R (PSM board accepted) though so am curious why Udo said to wait...? I know they were working on a final door mod to end all door mods so maybe it was that he meant?

10. rob@rar.org.uk

[email protected]
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When my DVD32R was recently serviced by IAG there seemd to be an expectation that the drive and door mechanisms would be changed automatically (althoughy my DVD32R didn't need this as they were changed when I had the PSM module fitted). This seems to confirm what Graham was told by David Patching, and I think it's a very encouraging sign for future service levels.

Regards

Rob

11. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    There you go, its not all doom and gloom in IAG land :)

12. WillyP

WillyP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Graham and Rob,

Thank you very much for your quick answers, but the local importer is asking me for the conversion just because of a difference of opinion and not an unimportant one: who has to pay the bill? That is why I am interested in the original text. BTW, Dr Udo advised to wait because there were plans for a DVD192R at that time.

Willy

13. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    Hi Willy.

I don't think it very wise to cut and paste like that without all the interested parties approval (Udo, IAG etc.) especially if the dealer is going to wave it in front of someone.... David Patching said he would honour such promises and he knows full well about this one as I am sure he can look it up himself should he wish to (I'll wager he already has). Rob got his deck fixed under this promise so I see no reason why you shouldn't. All the dealer has to do is ring them up. Shipping costs, well that is a different matter all together as Udo's original missive I don't think mentioned that at all....
    You would have had a long wait for the DVD192R as John has said it was not made, not even a prototype, I'll wager rangles over the Panterra chipset proposed at the time..... The idea and design probably existed but the cost would have made us all cry methinks.......

14. Dr Udo Zucker

Dr Udo Zucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Hi all, I advised [whilst I was in charge of TAG McLaren Audio] to combine a DVD32R's door repair with an upgrade. This way the significant repair cost of the door mechanism was shared, as the DVD32R had to be shipped, then opened and stripped for the PSM192 upgrade anyway. Whilst this didn't reduce the repair cost for TMA by much, it was a welcome reduction.

TAG McLaren Audio has always rebuilt every DVD32R's door mechanism to its very latest version whenever the service department got their fingers on a player. I assume [but do not know, that IAG does the same]. This was a precaution because earlier versions of the door mechanism (those shipped before autumn 2001, if I remember correctly) could seize over time.

P.S.: I have a DVD32R from 1999, which had this latest door modification carried out when it was initially researched (it's always good to check the long term reliability of such sensitive modication yourself). I can proudly say, that even today [I watched yesterday 'Lost in Translation' - a great movie btw, reminding me a lot of the business journeys I made to Japan] it worked fine. The door moves smooth and elegant, such as you would expect from such first class product :thumbsup:

15. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Udo

Good to see you still popping in for a chat :clap: :beer:

16. diegoSFO

diegoSFO
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just create a new thread regarding a Door problem. It looks like I'm not the only one to have the same problem, though mine created a more distructive consequense since i can 't open the door anymore (only manually) and it does not read any CD/DVD anymore

17. WillyP

WillyP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Dear Graham,

In the beginning of June 2001 there has been a thread entitled ‘DVD Drawer’. Would it be possible for you to mail me ([email protected]) the whole thread as I have only kept a part of it?

Thanks in advance.

Willy