1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The old 'Panny 6 DVI board running @ 50Hz' chestnut again

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by andyatkins, Sep 7, 2004.

1. andyatkins

andyatkins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having now taken the plunge & bought a Panny TH-42PHD6 from Andy @ AV-Sales recently I was wondering if anyone had made any further progress on getting 50Hz signals accepted by the DVI board (Haven't bought that yet).

Reading through the AVS forum today I found this post that seems to hint you can get around the problem by playing with 'vertical refresh rates' & 'pixel clock settings' of the graphics card & Powerstrip from an HCPC that then feeds the DVI board.

Does anyone have view on this - would it possibly work or has anyone found another solution? There was some talk of re-blowing the firmware on DVI board itself to force acceptance of 50Hz signals which sounded vaguely promising.

Thanks for your help.

AVS Forum post:-

To check what your displays internal frame buffers are, use the analogue VGA input and setup the screen as normal using your HTPC and Powerstrip to get 1:1 at 60Hz then run some judder test software such as this to check that there is no frame rate conversion going on, the thread relating to this software and testing for judder is here, there definitely shouldn't be any when using 60Hz. Then its simply a case of setting your HTPC to different refresh rates (48Hz and 50Hz, though you could also try 72Hz, 75Hz and 100Hz as well), re-adjusting to get 1:1 and then trying the judder test again, when the movement is smooth then the refresh rate is being displayed as it is without conversion, if its juddery, stutters or misses frames then its converting (probably to 60Hz).

If your display acts the same way as the European model then you will find that at 48/50/60Hz you get perfect unconverted judder free picture.

To check if your DVI input will take 48Hz or 50Hz it will be a case of using your advanced graphics card settings and powerstrip to try and get the display to sync to a signal at native resolution (1366 or 1368 what ever works) and then try diffferent settings of vertical refresh rates and pixel clocks etc... Trial and error I suppose....

Theres a couple of threads here and here related to the refresh rate issues

If you could help it would be greatly appreciated, also if anyone else has a series 6 Panasonic display with DVI and a iScanHD then this could also be used to test very easily...

2. andyatkins

andyatkins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    C,mon guy's - through me a frickin bone here, to quote the good Dr E.

MAW, Joe , Stoomonster, anyone got any views??

Thanks