The Old Guard (Netflix) Movie Review & Comments

Watched it this morning - solid 7/8 from me. More like this please Netflix

perfect weekend fodder, looking forward to it

watched it this morning and thoroughly enjoyed it - solid 8 for me

very good sound and picture in DV and atmos as well

Watched tonight and really enjoyed it. At the end, I wanted to find the book and read it, or the entire series. It’s a graphic novel which, alas, is not my thing. Hoping for another in the series though.

I enjoyed the character building and the various questions it raised about immortality. I have one question of my own though -
what about decapitation? Can’t see them coming back from mme guillotine?

About 6 points too generous - woke and by the numbers, but worst of all - boring with very average action scenes. A textbook example of ‘moviemaking by a committee‘, and the opposite of the awesomeness of ‘Extraction’.

Atomic Blonde was also many times better.

Nice Review Tom, always entertaining. Hopefully it'll make it to Amazon Prime or iTunes 99c sometime soon.
Oh, & I like the self-quote near the end; I'm waiting for the Self Reviews next ;)

Tom Davies is the Premier Film & TV Reviewer of our Time!
- Tom Davies, avforums

Really enjoyed it 8 out of 10 for me.

Entertaining enough 6.5 for me

Thanks for the heads-up. Some films are worth watching just for the choreography of the set pieces. I'll give it a go.

Charlize Theron spends 2 hours just pure insulting Steven Seagal

That gets my vote. Look forward to watching this, and it sounds better than 6 Underground.

Absolutely solid romp with a great sound mix.

Really wish Netflix would stream full fat Dolby Atmos in future instead of using Dolby Digital+Atmos.

Since Netflix movies only go up to 7, this is clearly in the elite category. :rotfl:

Edit: Chiwetel Ejiofor looks really short in this film, but I looked up his height and he’s not. The world no longer makes any sense.

Last edited:
Since Netflix movies only go up to 7, this is clearly in the elite category. :rotfl:

Edit: Chiwetel Ejiofor looks really short in this film, but I looked up his height and he’s not. The world no longer makes any sense.
Maybe it's just when he's standing next to Charlize Theron who is famously 12'7"

I gave up after an hour. Good review overall, although I'd have given what I saw a 6/10. Perfectly competent, but nothing much more.

Judging by a few of the comments here, and for similar recent Netflix fodder, a lot of people are perfectly satisfied with 'it was ok, it passed the time' level entertainment. Little disheartening is that...

You added a point for the music, I'd knock one off, not a bad film tho, is it a pilot? Seems like one.

Judging by a few of the comments here, and for similar recent Netflix fodder, a lot of people are perfectly satisfied with 'it was ok, it passed the time' level entertainment. Little disheartening is that...
Good point for discussion!

My take has always been that I think there's definitely a place for movies that are 'okay'.
There's more than one reason to make a film and more than one reason to watch it.

If someone is sticking something on with low stakes and it passes the time and they come away satisfied, there's value in that.
That's always been my opinion, but especially with the dearth of new movies to choose from currently. It's good to have the option of something that's just 'pretty good'.

On a strictly personal level, call me nuts, but I don't think I want a 10/10 movie every time. I love being challenged or blown away or flat out confused. But sometimes I just want something that will make me feel okay. Sometimes (quite often) I want to watch something that's absolutely awful. There's comfort for me in all of those things at different times.

Having said that, I can kind of see why people wouldn't want to waste their free time on something. Especially if they don't get much of it.

I'd be interested to hear your further thoughts on the subject.

Nothing wrong with a good genre piece. But I like to see the boundaries pushed in some way. Extraction was a fine example of pushing the action envelope, and was a cracking romp.

For a Netflix movie I thought it was one of their better ones. The action was good, some nice backstory. It seems the graphic novels delve into their backstories much more so than the movie. But I enjoyed it - a 7 for me as well - george

Excellent Saturday night movie, really looking forward to the next one, which was set up nicely at the end. Then again I'm a complete sucker for some female kick-buttery action, so it was always going to be my cup of tea.

Tom Davies said:
She’s holding an axe in the picture
Biggest laugh I’ve ever had reading a piece of AVForums editorial. Thank you.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom