The official XP SP3 thread

sunnysunnysunny

Hi.
What does everyone think about SP3?
I've recently upgraded my XP laptop to it, and haven't noticed any difference.
Post any SP3-related crap here, and anything remotely to do with SP3.
Thanks! :)

Singh400

Distinguished Member
Well I've slipstreamed it, so I just gotta backup all my **** and reformat and re-install. Can't see why they should be any major improvements, it's just a service pack.

graystreet

Installed fine on several PCs here. Only problem so far is incompatible with Trend Micro Internet Security ( 2008 ). But there an updated installer on the Trend Micro site to deal with that.

Not really noticed any of the speed increases that some have creamed themselves over, but no real problems either.

sunnysunnysunny

I have a notable speed increase on mine.
It used to be extremely slow, what with the amount of programs installed.
Now, it is a bit faster.

Ned Senior

I have a compaq pc (fairly old 6 or 7 years) the processor is an AMD Athlon XP 2800... I saw somewhere on a news site that AMD and SP3 do not seem to get on very well with each other!!!

Has anybody hereabouts found this??

Will my PC die a death if I download it??

Is it best to wait awhile until the bugs are sorted do you think??

Cashflow being low dictates that a new pc is out of the question for me if this one dies and I would be lost without it!!!!

Cheers people everywhere
Stolly

Krakin

I have a compaq pc (fairly old 6 or 7 years) the processor is an AMD Athlon XP 2800... I saw somewhere on a news site that AMD and SP3 do not seem to get on very well with each other!!!

Cashflow being low dictates that a new pc is out of the question for me if this one dies and I would be lost without it!!!!

Cheers people everywhere
Stolly
I was pretty nervous updating to it but it turned out fine. I used the standard windows XP update service rather than my usual habit of downloading the redistributable and installing from that so that it's all downloaded in one go.

My cpu is an overclocked AMD 4200x2 and afterwards couldn't detect any noticable difference good or bad testing in 3dmark06, Crysis or anything else which was fine with me.

I wanted it as I was installing the Net framework 3.5 full package redistributable which recommended full system updates before installing it. I was installing net 3.5 so I could install a game mod that needed Net 2.0 to install.

I didn't bother with that game mod in the end but my system is nicely updated for any future needs :thumbsup:

Make sure you have enough diskspace before updating to it as you don't want to run out of space halfway through, that would be catastrophic. Also leave the computer alone even when nothing is happening, it's not exactly quick to install and may look like it's stalled at times, but it hasn't.

You don't have to worry about your computer exploding it's just a software update. Even if it goes really really badly and fails completely you could always reinstall windows assuming you have a windows disk and whatever driver disks your hardware needs but hopefully anthing that drastic won't be needed.

Ned Senior

I was pretty nervous updating to it but it turned out fine. I used the standard windows XP update service rather than my usual habit of downloading the redistributable and installing from that so that it's all downloaded in one go.

My cpu is an overclocked AMD 4200x2 and afterwards couldn't detect any noticable difference good or bad testing in 3dmark06, Crysis or anything else which was fine with me.

I wanted it as I was installing the Net framework 3.5 full package redistributable which recommended full system updates before installing it. I was installing net 3.5 so I could install a game mod that needed Net 2.0 to install.

I didn't bother with that game mod in the end but my system is nicely updated for any future needs :thumbsup:

Make sure you have enough diskspace before updating to it as you don't want to run out of space halfway through, that would be catastrophic. Also leave the computer alone even when nothing is happening, it's not exactly quick to install and may look like it's stalled at times, but it hasn't.

You don't have to worry about your computer exploding it's just a software update. Even if it goes really really badly and fails completely you could always reinstall windows assuming you have a windows disk and whatever driver disks your hardware needs but hopefully anthing that drastic won't be needed.
Thanks... will have a bash then!!

*UPDATE* Citizens!!!! There is no radioactive mushroom cloud spreading inland from the Sefton coastline.... the pc did NOT explode!!!

Many Many thanks
Stolly:)

eddie4130

Standard Member

Cheers people everywhere
Stolly

My AMD Athlon 3500 pc would not boot after installing SP3 (Something to do with Intel PPMdrivers), make sure you have everything backed up before giving it a go. I had to do a system restore in safe mode.

I run this guys tool and it worked first time. You also need to turn off any anti-virus or pc protection you may have running which is a bit nerve racking

http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jes...ed-computer-boot-after-installing-xp-sp3.aspx

Ned Senior

My AMD Athlon 3500 pc would not boot after installing SP3 (Something to do with Intel PPMdrivers), make sure you have everything backed up before giving it a go. I had to do a system restore in safe mode.

I run this guys tool and it worked first time. You also need to turn off any anti-virus or pc protection you may have running which is a bit nerve racking

http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jes...ed-computer-boot-after-installing-xp-sp3.aspx
Cheers eddie!!!
The only problem I have noticed after updating to SP3 was that my graphics tablet wouldn't mount I think the drivers went astray so had to reload them from a download (NOTE TO SELF "must keep those computer discs in one place and tidy haha!!) apart from that no problem so am thinking that SP3 only messes with newer AMD platforms perhaps?
I aint no expert though so please don't quote me on that

Thanks again

Stolly

badbob

Banned
Updated worked on two AMD X2's although wanted to do fresh install , so wiped them fresh install and SP 3. One thing I get now is when I switch off the NAS the HTPC halts during browsing folders, like a time out or something. If I reboot or switch the NAS back on it's ok.

RockySpieler

Worked fine (so far) on AMD 4400X2 (S939).

Only issue was that I needed to plug in the VGA cable as the SP3 license / disclaimer screen was an unsupported resolution via HDMI on my HDTV.

badbob

Banned
Apparently people with AMD are having problems, continual reboots after a update. No problems here, although when I switch off the NAS system sort of halts until I switch the NAS back on, or reboot with the NAS off (or on)

Ned Senior

A couple of nights ago the old girl restarted twice by itself which was a bit worrying however last night I ran a few things (processes) at the same time for a good few hours and all seemed ok... cannot remember what I was doing when it rebooted itself think I was looking for updates to my virgin pcguard programs (anti virus/spyware etc.)

A couple of times since the update internet explorer (7 I think) has quit unexpectadly when I was on the apple store website and clicked a link to some info on payments

Apart from that all is dandy

cjb

Standard Member
Having 'maybe' problems since SP3 on my Q6600.
System had been running fairly well up to this point and I had no qualms about putting on SP3 as it was supposed to be fairly minimal .. I thought.:eek:
Might be coincidence but I have been compiling a video on Pinnacle Studio and suddenly started getting sound breaking up , as if PC couldn't cope with multiple time line sources. ( Quad core and all )
Also the PC seems reluctant to go online using broadband 2MB connection.. frequent failures requiring resets... generally the whole thing seems shot.

tried going back to a past backup, but stupidly put on SP3 and suffered the same problems. Have now uninstalled SP3 but need to experiment to see whats the result.

Anyone else, other than AMD bods ? :rolleyes:

cjb

Standard Member
As always there's winners and losers.. heard there are driver conflicts that MS are looking at on Compaq specific AMD PC.
I not got AMD but I am very wary now until I hear more stories about problems across board.:eek:

badbob

Banned
Having problems shutting down my gaming rig, fine with SP2 slipstream disc.

cjb

Standard Member
That's the sort of thing that ruins the day... cos u know there's a problem somewhere !!!
Perhaps we could make this thread more prominent to attract as much feedback as possible.
:rolleyes:

Ned Senior

As always there's winners and losers.. heard there are driver conflicts that MS are looking at on Compaq specific AMD PC.
I not got AMD but I am very wary now until I hear more stories about problems across board.:eek:
Great if they come up with a green light..
apart from this and twice having to do a factory reset over the past due to removing Norton and adobe software from it the blooming thing has been rock solid
I don't stress it out tho' bit of simple artwork, photo editing and the usual surfing + letter writing stuff
only stream radio no video dl's as I worry about killing it with a bug of some sort! :)

J0hnEast0n

Novice Member

Same here. My computer wont boot, not even in safe mode. Reinstalled xp sp2 from an install disk and it still wont boot. Totally screwed! Going to drop it off at the local compter shop tonight, unless anyone here has any ideas?

P.s i have tried disabling the Intelppm driver via recovery mode.

cjb

Standard Member
Oh dear, the problems are beginning to show.
I can't really advise on any AMD PC.. but to state the obvious, did u take a full backup before SP3 or in the recent past.. and did u do a 're-install' restore from your SP2 or a complete system install from scratch.
A simple re-install might have left some residue from SP3 and therefore the same problem remains.

I don't want to teach anyone to suck eggs, but from years of being a PC field engineer, you can't beat a full ghost backup from a separate HDD to solve just such problems.
With the cost of 80GB disks less than a tank of petrol, get another HDD and do a ghost backup once you have your system back and keep it safe somewhere ( ie don't use it).. for future Service Packs :devil:

PS. It rarely is a total disaster if your disk won't boot.. just don't panic and wipe any useful personal docs and data in trying to recover. Partition Magic can recover boot files but it can also erase a partition.. poofff...just like that.. !!!
Get another HDD and build your new system on that, then use that to hopefully look at the original data and copy it off.. then you can re-format and use that as your ghost..

J0hnEast0n

Novice Member
I did fully back-up my system, but I cant get into windows to recover it.
I reformatted the drive (not the quick option) when i tried to reinstall xp. When i get my Macbook Pro back from a repair, im going to try formatting the drive on that via bootcamp. If that doesnt work i will try and reinstall xp on a different Hard Drive.

Im going to need to get another xp install key, can i get one from MS since it was there fault i have to reinstall xp?

John

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...

Latest News

iFi Audio launches iDSD Diablo DAC/Headphone amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy Buds Pro
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy S21, S21+ and S21 Ultra smart phones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Mola Mola debuts Kula integrated amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett