The Official Wii Solutions Thread

Macron

Ex Member
Reaction score
Right, as we have a Wii problems thread I thought I would write a Wii solutions thread. I actually wrote this myself for another forum but hoped we could make this a sticky. This is not a place to ask questions, just to find / post solutions to problems. Hopefully this will help a few people.

I work as a manager for a retailer who I won’t name ;-), and I have dealt with a lot of games console faults as well as TV issues over the years. I have 4 friends who got Wii’s on launch day and 2 of them had “faults” which I have managed to fix for them without an exchange being needed. I do feel for anyone with a faulty console. I spent £650.00 for a PS2 package on launch day and mine wouldn’t read any disks, I had 2 DS Lites exchanged for faulty pixels and sticking thumb pads, I had 4 (yes 4!) PSP’s with dead pixels. It’s heartbreaking to be lucky enough to get a new console on launch day and have problems. This is all info gathered from Nintendo directly, various retailers and other reliable sources. I hope I can help someone.

Okay, here we go:

Disk Read Errors: I cannot stress this enough: lay your Wii down flat! The PS2, 360 and many PC’s are well known to get disk read errors when standing vertically. Don’t ask why, but 2 of my friends had their Wii standing up and got disk read errors, I told them to lay them flat and they have not had any since, my Wii has always being laying down and has never had a single error. I have always said that CD’s were not meant to be read vertically, I’ve seen these issues in PC’s for years. Try it and see. Also try the obvious, make sure your disk is clean, don’t get finger prints in it. Also make sure your Wii is not overheating. If you keep getting as disk read error, turn it off for 20 minutes and try again, if it works fine then move your Wii so that it is better cooled. If you already have your Wii flat and are having problems then obviously try it standing up to see if that makes a difference.

Wii Won’t Turn On: The Wii has a built in trip switch to protect it, many people have noticed it going off and stopping the Wii from turning on, if this happens simply unplug it and wait 5 minutes, then try again. It seems to be a little over sensitive, you should try to use a surge protector for your whole AV setup as this will maintain a more stable electricity supply and can even give you a better picture on your TV. A later firmware update may also make it less sensitive, but I’m not sure about this. If it still won’t turn on try leaving it unplugged for an hour somewhere cool and also try plugging it directly into a different wall socket.

Wii Crashes: Make sure it doesn’t overheat! Again I am certain that the airflow is better when the Wii is lying flat. Double check that the fans are running and are not full of dust. Move your Wii somewhere open with better air flow and try again. Also try plugging it in somewhere else. Try leaving it off for an hour and try a different disk. Try to do a firmware update and try again. If it still happens after all of this then call Nintendo and be patient with them, they are working their asses off right now and will do their best to help!

Wii Remote Problems: Firstly check the batteries, sounds obvious but people don’t always do this. You can get a good, fast charger and batteries for about £20.00 in the shops, worth every penny. Next try moving your sensor bar, I have found they work best on top of the TV and as close to the front panel as possible, but you might get different results in different places, experiment, but don’t forget to tell your Wii whether the bar is above or below the TV. Try altering sensitivity settings, this does not affect how fast the pointer moves, it affects how far you can move from the TV. You should go into the sensitivity settings and then sit down in your favourite position, then set the sensitivity to max, you should see four dots. Then lower it until the first setting where only 2 dots are visible and stop there. Also making sure the sensor bar and the sensor on the remote are clean will not hurt.

Internet Connection Errors: Wireless routers are one of, if not the most returned products in the UK right now, and around 70% are the users fault, sorry!. You should not be using the auto connect feature, you should have security in operation and you should have to enter everything manually! First of all can you answer the following: 1) What is your automatic IP address range? 2) What are your DNS server addresses? 3) What is your routers IP address? 4) What is your WEP key? (or other key) 5) What is your Wii’s MAC Address?. If you don’t know this already you need to learn more about wireless networking before you complain. There isn’t room here to explain everything but make sure you get the above sorted and also make sure that your auto assigned IP address range is fairly low, and manually give your Wii an address outside of this range. Google is your friend, simply type in the name of your router followed by “setup guide”. I haven’t had a single internet related problem with my Wii, but remember that Nintendo’s servers are ultra busy and the Wii is in very early days, so if you’re sure everything is fine then just be patient, soon all will be well.

TV / Picture Quality Issues: Chances are you are using the composite cable, but try using the scart adapter too, it shouldn’t make a difference but I have seen it do so myself! Some people report it looks better in 50hz mode than it does in 60hz. Mine is running on an LG 32” HDTV and looks awful in 60hz, my friend is running on a CRT and it looks best in 60hz. Obviously check your TV settings but otherwise ditch the composite asap and get a scart or component cable. Your Wii may cause interference on some TV’s so try moving it further away. Some people have reported their sensor bar causes interference. Not a lot you can do about this but try using it below your TV and further forward. You should report this to Nintendo as the feedback may be valuable to them. People are also reporting that some games only support 576i even with a component lead. This seems be mainly 3rd party titles and hopefully this trend will not continue.

SD Card Problems: This is confusing me now. I understand that not all SD cards will work, but I have tried cheap OEM 4GB cards (yes four gigabytes, even though it’s only supposed to work with 2GB max) and they have worked. I have tried Sandisk 2GB ultra speed and they have not worked. I guess firmware updates may fix this but I would never buy one of the “branded” Wii cards, they are normal cards painted white and with Wii written on them, grossly overpriced. I am using a Lexar 2GB which cost £15.00 and has no problems.

Channels Don’t Work: News and Weather have not launched yet so they won’t work (as of 11/12/06). The pictures will not work unless you either email a picture to your Wii or put one on your SD card first. If you’re having trouble making your Mii travel then go to the “edit Mii” section and make sure that mingle is ticked. Then go into Mii parade and enable Travel. You can then send your Mii to a friend and vice versa. There is not a right lot else to do yet. Just make sure you link your Wii account to your VIP account on the Nintendo site, make sure you are online etc.. and get ready for the good stuff to come!

I can’t Get A Component / Scart cable!: Me neither! A trucker's strike has delayed some deliveries but the official one is not released until the 15th of December. Do not get ripped off on Ebay either! Some of the ones on Ebay are cheap 3rd party bootlegs made up to look like real ones in China. Amazon and Woolworths are both taking orders on them at good prices and they will be here very soon, I have spoken to several distributers about this.

Sore Arms: I have seen posts from regular gym goers who say they have had no problems here. The rest of us couch potatoes are reporting sore arms and in some cases necks and backs. Now I'm not a doctor so I can only guess this means one of two things; either the Wii is going improve your fitness and this will go away as your huge hulking arms begin to bulk up, or its some kind of RSI and you should take it easy. What I would say is if you are in any serious pain then take a break from playing. If the pain persists then you should see your doctor I guess. Also try not to fully extend your arm and thus snap your elbow back and forth, this hurts believe me! If there are any doctors etc... here who could give some better advice then please let me know. Playing Zelda for a few hours seems to reduce this for me, which isn't a hard thing to have to do.

Wii Mote Wrist Strap Breaks: There are a few reports around of the wrist strap breaking off and the Wii Mote smashing people's TV's. Nintendo have already commented on this and say they are looking at ways to improve the strap. Obviously you should be carefull and keep a good grip of the remote. If anyone finds any mods around which might prevent this then please let me know.

Contact Nintendo: Either on 0870 6060 247 or Email [email protected] Remember your retailer cannot help with a faulty Wii, they don’t have any to exchange and all retailers have been strictly instructed by Nintendo to refer customers direct to them so they can personally investigate faults to improve future quality. The general rate of returns for Wii has been much lower than any console I have seen yet! Please do not get mad at your retailer, they cannot pull Wii’s out of a hat just because you shout at them.

If anyone has any other fixes etc… then post here and I can add them above. I hope I have helped someone and happy gaming!

Excellent post, this should be a sticky.

Edit:-
Theres some info just been posted about certain games outputing in 576i instead of 480p I think thats a good one to add in here!

I will prob make this a sticky in a week or so. Cant have too many at the moment cluttering up the forum so will remove the availability sticky in a week or so as i should imagine most users who visit the wii forum will have been sorted out by then and there will be no need for it!

Watch this space!

I would just like to add again, that regardless of what Nintendo instruct stores, you are within your consumer rights to request a refund if the product is faulty. So if you do not want to spend money sending the Wii back, which Nintendo are asking people to do, you should request a refund from your retailer and then go hunting another unit.

Personally I think it is completely unacceptable and wrong that Nintendo are asking people to spend 8 pounds or more getting faulty Wiis back to them. They should operate a system as Microsoft do, to pick-up the console at their cost and return it at their cost. In the US, Nintendo even provide the replacement first and then ask you to return the original!

Don't accept the Nintendo UK policy, it isn't right!

Jonathan

I detect a lot of nonsense in this post. You have tried so many types of SD cards, seen differences with scart connections in some cases, claim the ventilation is better when lying flat etc. That's a lot of empty claims, I mean seriously, do you work in a console stress-test lab or something?

The claim of discs getting read errors when vertical is also nonsense. Just beucase you have had none (yet) while horizontal means nothing. I have heard nothing of read errors and certainly haven't experienced any with my console in the vertical position, nor has anyone else I know.

Sorry to be a party pooper but until these bold claims are backed up, they are as good as the paper they are written on.

Edit: Just noticed the bit on returns. Do you have return figures for all of the latest generation consoles? I would love to see them...

As for Nintendo wanting to personally see each broken console individually, what do you think happens after you return them to a shop?

I detect a lot of nonsense in this post. You have tried so many types of SD cards, seen differences with scart connections in some cases, claim the ventilation is better when lying flat etc. That's a lot of empty claims, I mean seriously, do you work in a console stress-test lab or something?

The claim of discs getting read errors when vertical is also nonsense. Just beucase you have had none (yet) while horizontal means nothing. I have heard nothing of read errors and certainly haven't experienced any with my console in the vertical position, nor has anyone else I know.

Sorry to be a party pooper but until these bold claims are backed up, they are as good as the paper they are written on.

Edit: Just noticed the bit on returns. Do you have return figures for all of the latest generation consoles? I would love to see them...

As for Nintendo wanting to personally see each broken console individually, what do you think happens after you return them to a shop?

1) I have 2 friends who had disk read errors which stopped when they layed it flat. I have also seen posts on other boards where the same thing has happened.

2) When I plug my Wii straight into composite, then try it through scart I see a slight difference in picture quality, as do severl other people I know and people I have seen on other boards. This is probably more down to their TV's than the actual cable, and anyway, were you calling me a liar?

3) Yes I have tried lots of SD cards as I have access to them, and had very strange results.

4) When the console is vertical the intake vent is underneath the console, this could potentially mean that air flow is worse, depending of course on where people put it.

5) Yes I do have access to a repair centre in which consumer electronics are stress tested daily, including the wii, thank you.

6) I have returns figures for all consoles for a number of retailers, I am not going to publish them here as they are contained on an internal document which is marked as confidential. If I can find those figures online for you then I will.

I don't see why you feel the need to come in here and try to rubbish this thread. The whole purpose was simply to try and help anyone with a problem to avoid having to send their console away for repair.

Anyone with a faulty Wii who does not want it fixing should go and ask their retailer for a refund, but I am certain that sending it to Nintendo will be quicker than searching the high street for another one.

Macron has clearly tried to produce something here for the better good of the Wii community and for that I am grateful. I am sure he is ready to accept constructive criticism and make changes/additions as required.

Nintendo clearly designed their console to be placed on its side. Whether this is better in terms of reliability or not is questionable. Macron, as a comment to what you have written, on a US forum, I did come across comments where it was suggested that the cooling was actually poorer when on its belly and those who were getting lock-ups crashes found they went away once it was put on its side! This was stated as being due to the fact that some heat escapes through the side panels. So perhaps for anyone having problems at all, the first experiment is to relocate it in the other orientation to see if the behaviour changes.

Also on the heat issue. A friend was having crashes and his first thought was it was a duff console. I suggested he made sure the console air output on the bottom was inline with the hole in the stand that it sits on. Sure enough, he didn't have it positioned right, and as soon as he did so, the problem went away.

Avoid any orientation if it sits on carpet. Make sure the Wii is placed on a smooth surface!

Jonathan

Nintendo clearly designed their console to be placed on its side. Whether this is better in terms of reliability or not is questionable. Macron, as a comment to what you have written, on a US forum, I did come across comments where it was suggested that the cooling was actually poorer when on its belly and those who were getting lock-ups crashes found they went away once it was put on its side! This was stated as being due to the fact that some heat escapes through the side panels. So perhaps for anyone having problems at all, the first experiment is to relocate it in the other orientation to see if the behaviour changes.

It's an incredibly simple premise to anyone with a basic understanding on GCSE physics. The Wii standing on its side has more surface area available for heat to be lost through convection. It's the same reason why X360s run a lot cooler when vertical. Vertical discs also cause zero problems as, again thanks to GCSE physics, gyroscopic effects do not influence the disc when it is aligned perpendicular to the direction of gravity.

Hope that helps explain some things.

1) I have 2 friends who had disk read errors which stopped when they layed it flat. I have also seen posts on other boards where the same thing has happened.

2) When I plug my Wii straight into composite, then try it through scart I see a slight difference in picture quality, as do severl other people I know and people I have seen on other boards. This is probably more down to their TV's than the actual cable, and anyway, were you calling me a liar?

3) Yes I have tried lots of SD cards as I have access to them, and had very strange results.

4) When the console is vertical the intake vent is underneath the console, this could potentially mean that air flow is worse, depending of course on where people put it.

5) Yes I do have access to a repair centre in which consumer electronics are stress tested daily, including the wii, thank you.

6) I have returns figures for all consoles for a number of retailers, I am not going to publish them here as they are contained on an internal document which is marked as confidential. If I can find those figures online for you then I will.

I don't see why you feel the need to come in here and try to rubbish this thread. The whole purpose was simply to try and help anyone with a problem to avoid having to send their console away for repair.

Anyone with a faulty Wii who does not want it fixing should go and ask their retailer for a refund, but I am certain that sending it to Nintendo will be quicker than searching the high street for another one.

That didn't actually clear anything up, you still just claim a couple of your mates have the problems. I am not trying to 'rubbish' this thread, I am simply pointing out that without proof of these 'solutions' it is totally pointless. I'm sure someone has a mate who fixed his overheating Wii by lobbing it on the floor and swears blind he fixed it but at the end of the day what proof is there?

Again, I'm sure a lot of us 'have access' to a repair centre where things are stress tested (hell, I actually work as a computer technician) but what does that prove?

I would love to know where this returns figures document is from, since unless your company has access to MS / Nintendo / Sony figures then I doubt one even exists.

Again, I am simply saying that this looks to me like a pointless thread with nothing to back up a single one of the statements and am not just out to try and destroy it. You don't even link to people who have stated they have solved problems using these 'fixes'.

^^

Why do you need proof?

The idea of the thread is to give people ideas which MIGHT help them find a fix to a problem.

I never claimed anything was gospel.

If the thread helps anyone at all then its worth it.

What is pointless, in fact, is your negative and unhelpful reply which is only going to slow people down who came here to find answers, and as such it should be removed.

That didn't actually clear anything up, you still just claim a couple of your mates have the problems. I am not trying to 'rubbish' this thread, I am simply pointing out that without proof of these 'solutions' it is totally pointless. I'm sure someone has a mate who fixed his overheating Wii by lobbing it on the floor and swears blind he fixed it but at the end of the day what proof is there?

Again, I'm sure a lot of us 'have access' to a repair centre where things are stress tested (hell, I actually work as a computer technician) but what does that prove?

I would love to know where this returns figures document is from, since unless your company has access to MS / Nintendo / Sony figures then I doubt one even exists.

Again, I am simply saying that this looks to me like a pointless thread with nothing to back up a single one of the statements and am not just out to try and destroy it. You don't even link to people who have stated they have solved problems using these 'fixes'.

what a pointless reply!

if mine breaks then i'll try lying flat before i get on the blower to nintendo. thanks to the op for suggesting it.

if you don't like the thread then don't bother to read or reply.

Defreat not entirely sure what your point is?

Most of the suggestions in the first post seem perfectly reasonable, essentially if a problem occurs dont assume the worst try something different. I see no harm there.

If the OP works for an electronics company such as PC World or Comet etc then there will certainly be internal documents relating to returns, if the company is big enough then the sample on the internal document would be fair reflection of returns for an item nationwide ( over many companies).

Why do you need 'proof'? if you have no problem with your Wii then dont worry, if it does unfortunately develop a problem would you not at least try any of the above first before going back to the retailer?

All in all it seems like a helpful post with I assume only the best of intentions.

*ducks*

Sorry for having an opinion.

I was simply saying that without some backup these are simply one persons bold statements that hold no weight. Hardly an 'official' solution list it claims to be.

It might be worth putting in the internet connection/wireless bit that the channel should be 1 or 11.

Defreat, I dont think anyone objects to your having an opinion, its the way in which you stated it. If you had a helpful contribution to make to the list then I'm sure Macron and everyone here (even those of us who havent yet got a wii :( ) would be grateful for the input.

It might be worth putting in the internet connection/wireless bit that the channel should be 1 or 11.

Really?

Mine isn't and works fine That's interesting though, I take it this is the case with you, has anyone else had this issue? If so does it affect any other wireless equipment or just the Wii (or DS?)

I think I will add something to the TV section about the 480p thing, and a new section about hurting arms, do we have any doctors or even fitness enthusiasts who might be able to give educated comments about this?

I will also add that you can try standing your Wii up in the event of errors, though I am still convinced that lying it flat is best after personal experience.

Right, as we have a Wii problems thread I thought I would write a Wii solutions thread. I actually wrote this myself for another forum but hoped we could make this a sticky. This is not a place to ask questions, just to find / post solutions to problems. Hopefully this will help a few people.

I work as a manager for a retailer who I won’t name ;-), and I have dealt with a lot of games console faults as well as TV issues over the years. I have 4 friends who got Wii’s on launch day and 2 of them had “faults” which I have managed to fix for them without an exchange being needed. I do feel for anyone with a faulty console. I spent £650.00 for a PS2 package on launch day and mine wouldn’t read any disks, I had 2 DS Lites exchanged for faulty pixels and sticking thumb pads, I had 4 (yes 4!) PSP’s with dead pixels. It’s heartbreaking to be lucky enough to get a new console on launch day and have problems. This is all info gathered from Nintendo directly, various retailers and other reliable sources. I hope I can help someone.

Okay, here we go:

Disk Read Errors: I cannot stress this enough: lay your Wii down flat! The PS2, 360 and many PC’s are well known to get disk read errors when standing vertically. Don’t ask why, but 2 of my friends had their Wii standing up and got disk read errors, I told them to lay them flat and they have not had any since, my Wii has always being laying down and has never had a single error. I have always said that CD’s were not meant to be read vertically, I’ve seen these issues in PC’s for years. Try it and see. Also try the obvious, make sure your disk is clean, don’t get finger prints in it. Also make sure your Wii is not overheating. If you keep getting as disk read error, turn it off for 20 minutes and try again, if it works fine then move your Wii so that it is better cooled. If you already have your Wii flat and are having problems then obviously try it standing up to see if that makes a difference.

Wii Won’t Turn On: The Wii has a built in trip switch to protect it, many people have noticed it going off and stopping the Wii from turning on, if this happens simply unplug it and wait 5 minutes, then try again. It seems to be a little over sensitive, you should try to use a surge protector for your whole AV setup as this will maintain a more stable electricity supply and can even give you a better picture on your TV. A later firmware update may also make it less sensitive, but I’m not sure about this. If it still won’t turn on try leaving it unplugged for an hour somewhere cool and also try plugging it directly into a different wall socket.

Wii Crashes: Make sure it doesn’t overheat! Again I am certain that the airflow is better when the Wii is lying flat. Double check that the fans are running and are not full of dust. Move your Wii somewhere open with better air flow and try again. Also try plugging it in somewhere else. Try leaving it off for an hour and try a different disk. Try to do a firmware update and try again. If it still happens after all of this then call Nintendo and be patient with them, they are working their asses off right now and will do their best to help!

Wii Remote Problems: Firstly check the batteries, sounds obvious but people don’t always do this. You can get a good, fast charger and batteries for about £20.00 in the shops, worth every penny. Next try moving your sensor bar, I have found they work best on top of the TV and as close to the front panel as possible, but you might get different results in different places, experiment, but don’t forget to tell your Wii whether the bar is above or below the TV. Try altering sensitivity settings, this does not affect how fast the pointer moves, it affects how far you can move from the TV. You should go into the sensitivity settings and then sit down in your favourite position, then set the sensitivity to max, you should see four dots. Then lower it until the first setting where only 2 dots are visible and stop there. Also making sure the sensor bar and the sensor on the remote are clean will not hurt.

Internet Connection Errors: Wireless routers are one of, if not the most returned products in the UK right now, and around 70% are the users fault, sorry!. You should not be using the auto connect feature, you should have security in operation and you should have to enter everything manually! First of all can you answer the following: 1) What is your automatic IP address range? 2) What are your DNS server addresses? 3) What is your routers IP address? 4) What is your WEP key? (or other key) 5) What is your Wii’s MAC Address?. If you don’t know this already you need to learn more about wireless networking before you complain. There isn’t room here to explain everything but make sure you get the above sorted and also make sure that your auto assigned IP address range is fairly low, and manually give your Wii an address outside of this range. Google is your friend, simply type in the name of your router followed by “setup guide”. I haven’t had a single internet related problem with my Wii, but remember that Nintendo’s servers are ultra busy and the Wii is in very early days, so if you’re sure everything is fine then just be patient, soon all will be well.

TV / Picture Quality Issues: Chances are you are using the composite cable, but try using the scart adapter too, it shouldn’t make a difference but I have seen it do so myself! Some people report it looks better in 50hz mode than it does in 60hz. Mine is running on an LG 32” HDTV and looks awful in 60hz, my friend is running on a CRT and it looks best in 60hz. Obviously check your TV settings but otherwise ditch the composite asap and get a scart or component cable. Your Wii may cause interference on some TV’s so try moving it further away. Some people have reported their sensor bar causes interference. Not a lot you can do about this but try using it below your TV and further forward. You should report this to Nintendo as the feedback may be valuable to them. People are also reporting that some games only support 576i even with a component lead. This seems be mainly 3rd party titles and hopefully this trend will not continue.

SD Card Problems: This is confusing me now. I understand that not all SD cards will work, but I have tried cheap OEM 4GB cards (yes four gigabytes, even though it’s only supposed to work with 2GB max) and they have worked. I have tried Sandisk 2GB ultra speed and they have not worked. I guess firmware updates may fix this but I would never buy one of the “branded” Wii cards, they are normal cards painted white and with Wii written on them, grossly overpriced. I am using a Lexar 2GB which cost £15.00 and has no problems.

Channels Don’t Work: News and Weather have not launched yet so they won’t work (as of 11/12/06). The pictures will not work unless you either email a picture to your Wii or put one on your SD card first. If you’re having trouble making your Mii travel then go to the “edit Mii” section and make sure that mingle is ticked. Then go into Mii parade and enable Travel. You can then send your Mii to a friend and vice versa. There is not a right lot else to do yet. Just make sure you link your Wii account to your VIP account on the Nintendo site, make sure you are online etc.. and get ready for the good stuff to come!

I can’t Get A Component / Scart cable!: Me neither! A trucker's strike has delayed some deliveries but the official one is not released until the 15th of December. Do not get ripped off on Ebay either! Some of the ones on Ebay are cheap 3rd party bootlegs made up to look like real ones in China. Amazon and Woolworths are both taking orders on them at good prices and they will be here very soon, I have spoken to several distributers about this.

Sore Arms: I have seen posts from regular gym goers who say they have had no problems here. The rest of us couch potatoes are reporting sore arms and in some cases necks and backs. Now I'm not a doctor so I can only guess this means one of two things; either the Wii is going improve your fitness and this will go away as your huge hulking arms begin to bulk up, or its some kind of RSI and you should take it easy. What I would say is if you are in any serious pain then take a break from playing. If the pain persists then you should see your doctor I guess. Also try not to fully extend your arm and thus snap your elbow back and forth, this hurts believe me! If there are any doctors etc... here who could give some better advice then please let me know. Playing Zelda for a few hours seems to reduce this for me, which isn't a hard thing to have to do.

Wii Mote Wrist Strap Breaks: There are a few reports around of the wrist strap breaking off and the Wii Mote smashing people's TV's. Nintendo have already commented on this and say they are looking at ways to improve the strap. Obviously you should be carefull and keep a good grip of the remote. If anyone finds any mods around which might prevent this then please let me know.

Contact Nintendo: Either on 0870 6060 247 or Email [email protected] Remember your retailer cannot help with a faulty Wii, they don’t have any to exchange and all retailers have been strictly instructed by Nintendo to refer customers direct to them so they can personally investigate faults to improve future quality. The general rate of returns for Wii has been much lower than any console I have seen yet! Please do not get mad at your retailer, they cannot pull Wii’s out of a hat just because you shout at them.

If anyone has any other fixes etc… then post here and I can add them above. I hope I have helped someone and happy gaming!

Manager for a retail chain in "shirks responsibility, and tries to blame the consumer for duff unit" shock!

I don't think that there is any problem using the wireless autoconnect feature at all, and I certainly don't think that anyone 'should have to enter things manually'. Nintendo has designed this product for the 'average user' not the expert. In fact, I had a lot of problems connecting the DS wirelessly with my access point and had to buy a dongle to use when I did want to connect. It didn't matter whether I set up the connection manually or not, it was simply not going to connect through my WAP. I was expecting to have similar problems with the Wii.

The Wii found the access point, I put in the WEP, and bingo! it connected beautifully all on its ownsome. And my wireless point Netgear is old as these things go. It all seems pretty foolproof to me - if it'll work on old kit that I got as a freebie I should think that there will be few problems with it.

I think Macron's thread and posts is a nice idea, and it's good of him to put the effort into writing something, but I don't feel it should be titled the 'official' thread, it is a wee bit misleading as it implies specialist and advanced knowledge, or a Nintendo response to questions.

I was having problems connecting to the Wii Shop Channel - with an error code of 209601 (some sort of time-out error?).

Another website suggested changing my wireless router number to 1, which I did last night - it seems to have rectified the problem! (It was previously on channel 6 which worked, but pretty intermittently)

This seems to be a useful website: http://www.wiierror.com/

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom