The official Samsung PS50P96FDX Settings thread!

bellaly

Standard Member
Reaction score
I've looked around and couldn't find a thread dedicated to this lovely HDTV for those owners with information of best settings. So here it is, if you own this great tv then post your own best settings and this can be a useful guide to others. :clap:

SAMSUNG P50-P96FDX

ps50p96fdx_lrg.jpg

Reasons to get one:

Its 50 inches! :eek:
It offers 1080p the highest output commercially available
HDMI v1.3 the highest version of HDMI - futureproof
It comes with 3 HDMI connections - nice
DOES handle 24p -> 1080@24 MHz
Built in freeview tuner

Price:
Between £1400 to £1700

Firmware:
No releases as yet.

Settings:

SKY HD:

Mode : Standard
Contrast: 63
Brightness: 81
Sharpness: 50
Colour: 48
Tint: 44
Colour Tone: Normal

Detailed settings >
Black Adjust: Medium
Dynamic Contrast: Medium
Gamma +2

White Balance >

R-Offset 7 G-Offset 15 B-Offset 15
R-Gain 16 G-Gain 15 B-Gain 15

Colour Control

Pink 13 Green 15 Blue 8 White 15
Edge enhance: On
Colour space: Wide

Calibrated Settings using Digital Video Settings

Contrast: 81
Brightness: 53
Sharpness: 32
Colour: 49
Tint: 47

Detailed settings >
Black Adjust: High
Dynamic Contrast: High
Gamma 0

White Balance >
All remain at default 15

Colour Control
All remain at default 15

Edge enhance: On
Colour space: Wide

PS3:
tbc

XBOX 360:
tbc

DVD movies:
tbc

Please contribute to this thread and add your own settings and yours may be better than mine.

As I am running my Sky signal through my Onkyo 605 with 702p on.

SKY HD:

Detailed settings >
Gamma +2

QUOTE]

No offence ment at all in any way shape or form,

BUTTTTTT i would probly suggest you swap the brightness and contrast levels round, that is unless you like your blacks on the grey side. ;)

Thought we already had a thread for this TV?

We have a thread that is like many threads that starts off as generating interest in the product and its specs.

But you will see in avsforum that there is also a companion OWNER thread for most TV's to show how to tweak it and get the best out of your £1400+ purchase.

But I couldnt find one for this great tv- so here it is!

Spudsy if you have this TV tell me what your settings are mate, i'll give it a whirl.

But you will see in avsforum that there is also a companion OWNER thread for most TV's to show how to tweak it and get the best out of your £1400+ purchase.

But I couldnt find one for this great tv- so here it is!

:confused:

The other thread is called "Samsung Full-HD PS-50P96FD thread"

Seems quite obvious to me that this is for anything relating to this set and I don't see the point in another thread.

You yourself have posted in both threads today so it would make sense to just stick to one.

Spudsy if you have this TV tell me what your settings are mate, i'll give it a whirl.[/QUOTE]

I know everyone is different butttt, try the contrast between 80-90 brightness between 50-60 sharpness between 25-35 (or if you can get a thx disk try the cross hatch test and ajust the sharpness untill you loose the white lines around edge's. This may even mean turning the sharpness off but dont worry this is correct HONEST) and the colour between 50-60.
and turn all noise reduction/contrast boosting off.

but as a general rule contrast should never be lower than your brightness.

Now what you should find is that the blacks will go nice and deep while still keeping detail, and because the contrast range is better the colours should really jump out.

Oh and by the way if these settings turn out to be completly rubbish i promise to top myself :suicide:

a little off subject where can i get this for 1400
is it poss to get john lewis price match near this

regards stuarty

Thought we already had a thread for this TV?

Yes there is a thread going already, but Bellaly asks a legit question about picture settings....which although asked any times on the previous thread, nobody has yet posted.

Mine, now replaced, is safely stashed away until my living room is finished. So will play about with the settings that other owners are submitting and report back.

:thumbsup:

a little off subject where can i get this for 1400
is it poss to get john lewis price match near this

Think the price was about £1,430 from Currys using a couple of discount codes.

Best I could get JL was £1829 against Empire Direct.

I have posted a question on the av forum regarding PIP
do you have any information ??

I have posted a question on the av forum regarding PIP
do you have any information ??

You need to set PIP up in the SETUP menu. I'm assuming you realise you need an external source running to use PIP?

Bellaly asks a legit question about picture settings....which although asked any times on the previous thread, nobody has yet posted.

:thumbsup:

Yes many thanks Mose, this is a thread for specs and settings and I figure as a community we can help each other here to get the best picture for our HDTV!

So tell us owners what settings you are using. I just put mine up.

This is not a rival to the main thread, as its intended to help those who have commited to buying it, get the best out of it. All contributions welcome. :thumbsup:

Yes many thanks Mose, this is a thread for specs and settings

Why not call it the "Settings" thread then rather than the "Owners" thread?

I do think it's silly having 2 threads that are asking similar or the same questions.

No offence intended just think it best to have as much information in a single place as possible rather than having to search multiple threads and I can see this happening.

Maybe a mod can settle this, an "owners" thread would cover all actual owners experiences with the set, a "settings" thread would cover..settings, from owners, and the "PS50-P96FDX" thread would cover any, all, or none of the above.

Very confusing ATM

Very confusing ATM

I don't think its confusing at all -yes this is another thread but its for settings. If the name needs to be changed to The official Samsung PS50P96FDX Settings thread! thats fine. If we can have details of settings included on page 1 of the Samsung P50P96FDX thread that would be great. But I hope its clear what the point of it is. Those who still don't get this, need to surf around avforums to the other owners threads, and see they've got settings offered - I just think that us Samsung owners need to get our act together! Maybe Im wrong! :suicide:

PS3:
tbc

XBOX 360:
tbc

I'm working on my Xbox 360 settings now. Does anyone know what the Game Mode does? The manual is very vague.

When connecting to a game console such as PlayStationTM or XboxTM, you can enjoy a more realistic gaming experience by selecting game menu.

It also seems a bit awkward going into the menu and changing this setting every time you want to fire up your games console and then changing it back when you're done. Can game mode be set for just the component or relevant HDMI input?

dmc if you have just bought this new, I would suggest you run in your plasma and avoid too much gaming for the 1st 200hrs of its life Watch tons of DVD's bluray movies, whatever! You dont want the nasty screen burn. Game mode I find to be just a gimmick, you dont need it on, it just alters the colours as far as I can see and I prefered the way I had set it up!

You cant pick sources (component or HDMI ) when selecting it, as I said it looks more of a gimmick to me unless any1 can come forward with the pros of it!

Once you get proper XboX 360 settings sorted, pass on the knowledege:D

Hello all

Got this tv and a PS3 with Sky HD.

Really happy with it. Just tweaking my setting thanks for the thread

Look forward to reading about the settings FDXD :smashin:

I've been having a play about with settings myself, but I keep getting hassled to do other things about the house, so y attention to it isnt tyhere at the mo. :rolleyes:

Look forward to reading about the settings FDXD :smashin:

I've been having a play about with settings myself, but I keep getting hassled to do other things about the house, so y attention to it isnt tyhere at the mo. :rolleyes:

Cool my digital Video Essentials arrived. Ive tweaked settings again, with all lights turned off so that I can watch my plasma in a nearHa cinema environment.
I have almost got this calibration complete now, I need to look into correct grey scale and RGB off sets and gains. Will post when that is completed.

Must say that the calibration I have done so far has allowed for better skin tones. Will post very soon folk.
Keep em coming folks! fdxd your help is appreciated so post setting when you can...

thats the whole idea of this thread, to help those who have just taken it out of the box to get a good reference point!

cheers

Settings:

SKY HD:

Detailed settings >
Gamma +2

I Thought Detailed Settings were only available in Movie Mode or am I missing something?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom