The Official PX990 3D Ready Active Plasma TV thread *PART 2*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I ordered the 60" set mainly based on the review of the 50" version. I am now shitting myself incase of problems......***.

Waiting for delivery Wednesday.........

Mine arrived tonight, November 2010 date on the back of the actually TV...

Won't get a chance to test until next week.

Mine arrived tonight, November 2010 date on the back of the actually TV...

Won't get a chance to test until next week.

thats a shame would of been nice to no what you think of it,wonder what date was on the back of the last batch everyone got

Ok, I ordered the 60" set mainly based on the review of the 50" version. I am now shitting myself incase of problems......***.

Waiting for delivery Wednesday.........

my 50" comes tuesday and a bit worried here but if its got problems then back it goes

my 50" comes tuesday and a bit worried here but if its got problems then back it goes

Aye. Am also in sunderland and bought from Robert whyte...in the same boat marra. Annoying cos everything I've read has bigged up this set...to read this has knocked my plug in a big but hopefully it'll be ok....will post what I find. Like you said, it goes back if not satisfied..

Aye. Am also in sunderland and bought from Robert whyte...in the same boat marra. Annoying cos everything I've read has bigged up this set...to read this has knocked my plug in a big but hopefully it'll be ok....will post what I find. Like you said, it goes back if not satisfied..

do you get yours tuesday aswell Krisafc,and yes mate no good it goes back but fingers crossed with arms and legs

and

mozboyuk just hope that was the problem the first batch and thanks for letting us know they were sptember batch

do you get yours tuesday aswell Krisafc,and yes mate no good it goes back but fingers crossed with arms and legs.

Wednesday mate. You wouldn't believe how much waiting and researching has gone into me finally ordering this tv. I'm replacing a 4yr old 720p Samsung plasma so hopefully its a case of ultra picky people on here seeing things that yr ordinary punter wouldn't see/care about.

well ive been waiting for a few months now to jump onto 3d,going from a px70 which the kids are going to use for the xbox360,so hopefully if ours are nov batch then things will be fine,let you no how it goes mate

hi bought my px990 from electro centre this week. the box it came in was very mucky on top lots of black dust (worry number1) is it old?
well only had a chance last night to test it out and not happy at all, tried Call of duty lots of cross talk, tried GT5 same again, downloaded Motorstorm 3d as according to some on here its best 3d game, same again lots of cross talk
Sky 3d is the same on the 3d promotional video where its showing the crowd during the match there is an asian fella looking at camera, lots of cross talk.
Watched Coraline on sky 3d Lots of cross talk too (Grrrrrrr)
Bought Disneys A Christmas Carol expecting 3d bluray to shine, well thats pants n all, lots of crosstalk makes it unbearable to watch.
tried 2d to 3d conversion which i am not to bothered really as i got it for proper 3d, but i get a 10cm black line down each side aswell???
when i watched 3d in currys on the samsung they where knocking out, i did not see such bad cross talk, motion blur was a problem on led i looked hence i went for Plasma as it handles football better. Sick as a parrot now after reading the review on here and getting lumped with this turkey for christmas.
will do further tests tonight when can have tv to myself and will check the other problems people been having.
i have old 60 gb PS3, SKY+ HD so you would think if there was just a problem on either one it would be the source, but its both and not seeing this problem on the samsung tele in currys is making me think i made a big mistake going for this THX branded 3D hunk o' junk.:nono:

In case anyone is interested, my initial impressions of the Sammy C680 here:-

http://www.avforums.com/forums/13517869-post394.html

In short, very happy, as anyone will know though that could soon change with me :rolleyes:

Keep any eye on that thread as I'll be posting more impressions of it over the coming days but kinda want to run it in properly first which is gonna take a week or two I guess.

telly was manufactured oct 2010. looked on back

sorry to here about that Elixir i just hope the nov batch is better,and glad you like your 680 zAndy1 as i was not impressed with it but that was in the shop,good luck with it

its a shame no one has a panny blu-ray player like what steve had when he reviewed it as he found no black bars and little crosstalk on it

i see robert whyte is back up to £1150 now just for the tv

Last edited:
i just hope the nov batch is better

From my experience the October batch isn't bad at all. Got my 50PX990 this week production date October 2010. Watched A Christmas Carol last night on my 60GB PS3 and it really was stunning. I did notice the bars at the sides at times but only because I was looking for them and could only really see them with my glasses off, the wife didn't notice them at all. This isn't an issue for me.

Whilst Sky's HD channels have been very impressive I've found Sky 3D to be hit and miss, Fulham v Man City highlits were good but the Spurs match live midweek was almost unwatchable due to cross talk. I think I'd rather watch football on HD tbh. Haven't tried PS3 games as yet but that's next on the list.

In case anyone is interested, my initial impressions of the Sammy C680 here:-

http://www.avforums.com/forums/13517869-post394.html

In short, very happy, as anyone will know though that could soon change with me :rolleyes:

Keep any eye on that thread as I'll be posting more impressions of it over the coming days but kinda want to run it in properly first which is gonna take a week or two I guess.

Thats really interesting you dont have any Buzz :smashin:, I wonder if there is much difference between the C680 and C7000 ?.:)

From my experience the October batch isn't bad at all. Got my 50PX990 this week production date October 2010. Watched A Christmas Carol last night on my 60GB PS3 and it really was stunning. I did notice the bars at the sides at times but only because I was looking for them and could only really see them with my glasses off, the wife didn't notice them at all. This isn't an issue for me.

Whilst Sky's HD channels have been very impressive I've found Sky 3D to be hit and miss, Fulham v Man City highlits were good but the Spurs match live midweek was almost unwatchable due to cross talk. I think I'd rather watch football on HD tbh. Haven't tried PS3 games as yet but that's next on the list.

well hopefully as they go through the months i.e batch nov now they get better :rotfl:

Just so people know, black bars on Christmas Carol on the Samsung C680 as well, no brightness fluctuations though :)
3D performance seems to be as good on the C680 as the PX990 but the blacks in 2D mode are nowhere near as good as the PX990 (but a lot better in fact excellent in 3D mode due to the effect of the glasses).

Appreciate you posting thoughts on the C680, so would you say you are happy with your current choice? Live in Ireland and the first PX990 have just been shipped over, been waiting a while but after reading all the troubles glad I did, Checked one of the TV's today and product date was Oct, even at 935 yoyos for the 50" didn't fancy ruining my Xmas. Now looking at the C680, reviews so far looking good?:thumbsup:

Just so people know, black bars on Christmas Carol on the Samsung C680 as well, no brightness fluctuations though :)
3D performance seems to be as good on the C680 as the PX990 but the blacks in 2D mode are nowhere near as good as the PX990 (but a lot better in fact excellent in 3D mode due to the effect of the glasses).

Andy, do you think this could then be due to playback from a PS3 rather than a dedicated 3D Player ?

I started reading through the C7000 thread again but came straight across the Blinking and Buzz issues again :rolleyes:.

I really hope next year there is a Fault free 3D TV availiable next year :lease::)

No I think it's just how that disc is to be honest, some TVs may allow the ratio to be altered to disguise it but not all..

Andy, do you think this could then be due to playback from a PS3 rather than a dedicated 3D Player ?

I started reading through the C7000 thread again but came straight across the Blinking and Buzz issues again :rolleyes:.

I really hope next year there is a Fault free 3D TV availiable next year :lease::)

No i have checked both proper 3d blu ray player and ps3 old and new models and all give the same dark/translucent bars.

And get bars on all the 4 3d blu ray movies. cloudy/bolt/xmas carol/monster house. And the xtalk can be prett bad imo.

I am getting an engineer to look at my tv tomorrow, though as you cannot change settings in 2d-3d or 3d mode, god knows what he is supposed to do to make things better. It'll end up he's travelled all the way from god knows where for me to make him a brew :laugh:
I may just live with it tbh, send back get another, send back get another aint my cuppa tea.

I believe i read somewhere the sammy c680 model is a 6 series screen, and they were produced after the c7000 as a budget model for the masses. Not bad for the money if it's all you can afford on a shoestring. Seen this model on dislay and the 2d picture quality is nowhere near px990 quality though imo. But better than most of the non 3d tellys out there. Aestetically nowhere as good as the px ;)

I believe i read somewhere the sammy c680 model is a 6 series screen, and they were produced after the c7000 as a budget model for the masses. Not bad for the money if it's all you can afford on a shoestring. Seen this model on dislay and the 2d picture quality is nowhere near px990 quality though imo. But better than most of the non 3d tellys out there. Aestetically nowhere as good as the px ;)

Maybe my set was worse than I thought. I saw the C680 in Currys and to me the 2D picture quality seemed better than my LG. Roll on Thursday to get my replacement. If it's not any better I think I'll be on a train up to Milton Keynes on Friday for the Live Lounge to see what LG thinks this TV should really look like.

Well if you are not set on Plasma and are not only interested in black levels the Toshiba 55WL768 seems decent for 3D (a french site said it had the 'fastest' glasses they tested which made for convincing 3D) -

see my post and pictures from owners here:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/13522104-post158.html

french review said:
We see here that there is no ambiguous zone between the image right and left. Result, there really is little crosstalk between the two images. Add to that a first order reaction as discussed later and you have a platform for the most powerful 3D. And testing is quite good too. The sense of depth is excellent.

Importantly I've not heard of a single 'fault' from any owners yet (I mean serious faults; which has now become my MAIN criteria given all these show stopping flaws of the LGs, Panasonics and Samsungs - more so than ultimate picture quality) other than what you'd expect from Edge Lit LED sets. I'm willing to take LCD's downsides in exchange for it's upsides including in the WL768's case a very bright white output and bright 3D (cross talk appears as good as some plasmas, they compare it to the VT20 in the french review for it's 3D and only complain about it's less than stunning contrast/blacks).

About the 680 - though I ALWAYS take these kinds of sites/reviews with a pinch of salt it is #1 in this'top 5 cheap 3DTVs you can buy' article (but then the PX990 won the best 3DTV in 'that other magazine' round up so again I don't trust these sites/magazines at all):

http://3dradar.techradar.com/3d-tech/buying-guide-top-5-best-cheap-3d-tvs-23-11-2010

And as for next year, if you have the money (lots of it) then the Toshiba CEVO (based on the 768 but full LED lit with Cell processor )

http://hdtvorg.co.uk/news/articles/2010091201.htm

OR the Panasonic ZT30 Flagship 3D model look very nice - too expensive for me though

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1290767113

Last edited:
Well if you are not set on Plasma and are not only interested in black levels the Toshiba 55WL768 seems decent for 3D (a french site said it had the 'fastest' glasses they tested which made for convincing 3D) -

see my post and pictures from owners here:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/13522104-post158.html

Importantly I've not heard of a single 'fault' from any owners yet (I mean serious faults; which has now become my MAIN criteria given all these show stopping flaws of the LGs, Panasonics and Samsungs - more so than ultimate picture quality) other than what you'd expect from Edge Lit LED sets. I'm willing to take LCD's downsides in exchange for it's upsides including in the WL768's case a very bright white output and bright 3D (cross talk appears as good as some plasmas, they compare it to the VT20 in the french review for it's 3D and only complain about it's less than stunning contrast/blacks).

About the 680 - though I ALWAYS take these kinds of sites/reviews with a pinch of salt it is #1 in this'top 5 cheap 3DTVs you can buy' article (but then the PX990 won the best 3DTV in 'that other magazine' round up so again I don't trust these sites/magazines at all):

Buying Guide: Top 5 best cheap 3D TVs | 3D Radar - 3D news and reviews

And as for next year, if you have the money (lots of it) then the Toshiba CEVO (based on the 768 but full LED lit with Cell processor )

Toshiba 'CEVO' Cell TV will upscale to 2160p and enhance 3D

OR the Panasonic ZT30 Flagship 3D model look very nice - too expensive for me though

Panasonic ZT30 is new flagship with 3D - rumor - FlatpanelsHD

Thanks for the links, The Panny is out then as that silver looks cheap tat regardless of PQ:laugh:.

The Tosh looks good tho :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom