The Official PX990 3D Ready Active Plasma TV thread *PART 2*

Status
Not open for further replies.

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
Discussion continued from here!

dannythedemon

I have only noticed bad xtalk in the 3d movies. Although the new 3d pop game is pretty bad at times for xtalk, but it's a pretty good attempt at 3d too.

Cross talk is therefore an issue on this tele imo.

I am still not sure what the Black issue is about, and don't know what everyone keeps going on about.. Maybe it is the source of what your watching.
Do you have or can you get hold of in blu ray sin city, kung fu panda to check the black and white levels. The opening 10 mins when panda is dreaming is spectacular whites and blacks.

I have noticed some bad line bleed on a few occations, and image retention for more than a few minutes from images barely on the screen for a few seconds. But nothing that overlaps onto the next image, or so i have noticed.

Oh and i recieved the Spears and Munsil Calibration disk, *** :eek:
Seriously need a lesson in what to do with it.
Steve/Anyone do you have any pointers :lease:

And finally, i got home last night to a message that the engineer who was supposed to call me personally on my mobile to arrange a visit, left a message to advise he was coming today between 1-5pm (that's nice of him) but i will be working. Idiot.
Custoner Services at LG has gone really down hill, started off ok-ish, however nothing has actually happened when it should have. And i don't believe i should be chasing everything up the way i have been doing. :nono:

<!-- / message -->

sunderland

if they keep this up with the qualtiy of there sets i can se sky moving to someone else or sky end up lossing lots of customers through it,all i want is a tv that works fine is it so hard to do lg

kedar301

hi guys, i have spoken to LG customer service yesterday and the adviser told me that a 60" TV should display 60" picture and if its is creating black bars means it is reducing the size of the picture and hence it is fauly.

Electro Centre told me that LG Cust Ser. generates a call reference number and they need that to do their steps for collection or anything like that.

I will call them in lunch break and will see what tey say today as this time i got the ref. number.

Jaggie

Standard Member
I am still not sure what the Black issue is about, and don't know what everyone keeps going on about.. Maybe it is the source of what your watching.

No, it's just that the panel (at least in PX950N) is not capable of showing deep blacks. Of course, the perceived black level depends on the scene: If there is a lot of white (or bright colors) on the screen at the same time, any dark objects look (to a human eye) even darker. But the darker the scene, the easier it is to see how grey the blacks actually are. This makes all the night scenes look washed out.

Of course, it's a matter of taste whether a black level is good or bad, but I'd say that at least any Panasonic or Pioneer plasma screen or modern LED-backlit LCD has superior blacks to PX950N.

kedar301

No, it's just that the panel (at least in PX950N) is not capable of showing deep blacks. Of course, the perceived black level depends on the scene: If there is a lot of white (or bright colors) on the screen at the same time, any dark objects look (to a human eye) even darker. But the darker the scene, the easier it is to see how grey the blacks actually are. This makes all the night scenes look washed out.

Of course, it's a matter of taste whether a black level is good or bad, but I'd say that at least any Panasonic or Pioneer plasma screen or modern LED-backlit LCD has superior blacks to PX950N.

try AVP Bluray it has some of the realyl dark scenes and will give you better idea.

gamen

I have only noticed bad xtalk in the 3d movies. Although the new 3d pop game is pretty bad at times for xtalk, but it's a pretty good attempt at 3d too.

Cross talk is therefore an issue on this tele imo.

Do you have or can you get hold of in blu ray sin city, kung fu panda to check the black and white levels. The opening 10 mins when panda is dreaming is spectacular whites and blacks.

I have noticed some bad line bleed on a few occations, and image retention for more than a few minutes from images barely on the screen for a few seconds. But nothing that overlaps onto the next image, or so i have noticed.

Oh and i recieved the Spears and Munsil Calibration disk, *** :eek:
Seriously need a lesson in what to do with it.
Steve/Anyone do you have any pointers :lease:

And finally, i got home last night to a message that the engineer who was supposed to call me personally on my mobile to arrange a visit, left a message to advise he was coming today between 1-5pm (that's nice of him) but i will be working. Idiot.
Custoner Services at LG has gone really down hill, started off ok-ish, however nothing has actually happened when it should have. And i don't believe i should be chasing everything up the way i have been doing. :nono:

<!-- / message -->

Spears & Munsil

dannythedemon

try AVP Bluray it has some of the realyl dark scenes and will give you better idea.

Kedar..

I got the same responce from cs as LG, so they have already admitted fault. It's wether they can fix it or not.
I have just this sec had a call from them advising they'll cancel the visit scheduled for today, i now have to arrange time of work and reschedule a visit.. No weekends unfortunately :(

Yea i have seen that as got the 1/2 bd boxset cheap from blockbusters.co.uk :)

The panny vt scored a reference level on here. Tbh i kinda wish i went for that 1 now.

kedar301

Kedar..

I got the same responce from cs as LG, so they have already admitted fault. It's wether they can fix it or not.
I have just this sec had a call from them advising they'll cancel the visit scheduled for today, i now have to arrange time of work and reschedule a visit.. No weekends unfortunately :(

Yea i have seen that as got the 1/2 bd boxset cheap from blockbusters.co.uk :)

The panny vt scored a reference level on here. Tbh i kinda wish i went for that 1 now.

I'm not sure should i send my TV back to Retailer as i'm flying away for 2 months tomorrow morning.

But i think will talk to my supplier.

zAndy1

Distinguished Member

I'm sorry but as many issues as this tv has I don't agree that grey blacks are one of them, i was actually very impressed with the blacks on this tv and never saw the black level as an issue.

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
Been advised today by reliant direct that they've processed my refund today despite not expecting to receive the tv back till Monday (pretty slow courier service considering it was collected Tuesday first thing!). Anyway, can't argue with the continuing good service I've had from Reliant :) Shame LG aren't as responsive eh...

sunderland

well ive just had a email of robert whyte they have there new stock just come in so mine is coming next tuesday,will let you no how i get on when it comes,please be ok please be ok please please :rotfl:

golly99

Been advised today by reliant direct that they've processed my refund today despite not expecting to receive the tv back till Monday (pretty slow courier service considering it was collected Tuesday first thing!). Anyway, can't argue with the continuing good service I've had from Reliant :) Shame LG aren't as responsive eh...

Decided what you are replacing it with Andy? I've been monitoring threads over the last fews months specifically the hx903, c750 and then the lg/samsung 3d plasmas, kept seeing your name pop up ...was going to go for the hx903 myself but then thinking new models are announced in Jan...don't like the idea of a seperate 3d transmitter!

Insanity202

Distinguished Member
well ive just had a email of robert whyte they have there new stock just come in so mine is coming next tuesday,will let you no how i get on when it comes,please be ok please be ok please please :rotfl:
I hope it is ok mate. Keep us updated. :smashin:

kedar301

for all those, who is returning their set like me (as Electro Centre agreed to replace or refund and will arrange pick up) i suggest that wait untill you get feedback from LG as i think this is realy great set and i trust on Steve's Review.

I'm sure we have had a wrong batch. and LG will come up with some good news and i think everyone here will be agree that if thses things get sorted then this is a great set in the market.

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
Decided what you are replacing it with Andy? I've been monitoring threads over the last fews months specifically the hx903, c750 and then the lg/samsung 3d plasmas, kept seeing your name pop up ...was going to go for the hx903 myself but then thinking new models are announced in Jan...don't like the idea of a seperate 3d transmitter!

Not a bloody clue lol :( Can't see me going for the HX903 to be honest, 46" is too small and I aren't paying 3k for the 52", could get the new JVC 3d projector for not much more than that! Considering the Toshiba WL768B 55" for 1700 ish but the edge LED makes me nervous. Honestly don't know mate right now, at least I've got my trusty Sanyo Z3 to keep me going, 72" picture and it cost me 160 quid, makes me wonder why I'm going through all this hassle sometimes!

kedar301

Not a bloody clue lol :( Can't see me going for the HX903 to be honest, 46" is too small and I aren't paying 3k for the 52", could get the new JVC 3d projector for not much more than that! Considering the Toshiba WL768B 55" for 1700 ish but the edge LED makes me nervous. Honestly don't know mate right now, at least I've got my trusty Sanyo Z3 to keep me going, 72" picture and it cost me 160 quid, makes me wonder why I'm going through all this hassle sometimes!

Andy thats a huge picture, how about Mitsubishi's Laser Vue 75" ;) we are realyl unfortunate not to have this TV in UK. its only for Japan and USA

jmac

Distinguished Member

hmm
i better get on the phone tomorrow.. mine was picked up monday and supposedley wont be there till next week.. could do with the refund myself!:confused:

jmac

Distinguished Member
emailed riliant, will follow up with a call tomorrow, bit miffed why i wasnt offered the same tbh, quite annoyed!

panman40

Distinguished Member
It really is a shame the PX has so many probs, I Dont think it would be so bad for owners if LG had just said they are investigating and bear with us.

I would be great if somebody could try the Sammy C7000 and post back there thoughts on it ;):laugh:.

My advise is to return these sets and wait until LG Say they have fixed all the issues :(

jmac

Distinguished Member
It really is a shame the PX has so many probs, I Dont think it would be so bad for owners if LG had just said they are investigating and bear with us.

I would be great if somebody could try the Sammy C7000 and post back there thoughts on it ;):laugh:.

My advise is to return these sets and wait until LG Say they have fixed all the issues :(

it is a shame. i got used to the 60" size very quickly!
ordered a Sony 52hx903 now..

uk0912

Standard Member
Just to add a more positive view to the general gloom surrounding this telly, I have had a 60PX990 for a couple of weeks and am very happy with it. 2d picture is great and 3d is really immersive with such a large screen. It might just be the extra inches (ahem) but I reckon that the 3d is loads easier on the eyes than my old Panasonic 50VT20 that went back after 5 months of trying to learn to live with the 50hz bug! Aesthetically, its also streets ahead of the Panny and best of all, it was only £1,770 so i made a profit when i sent the old one back!!

In terms of the problems people have raised, I have noticed the following:

• Line Bleed
    a minimal amount of line bleed but tbh i wouldn't have spotted it if i wasn't really close to the screen looking for it.
  • Black Bars
    3d blu ray is excellent on the one disc i tried (Ice Age 3) and there were no black or translucent bars at the side of the picture at all. I was using a Panasonic BDT300 3d player rather than the PS3 but my gut feel is that, given that the issue has been reported on some discs and not others, this is entirely source dependent rather than being a hardware issue.

2d-3d does have black bars but I was surprised at how small they are, given the reaction it has generated on Avforums, especially as its essentially a gimmick that most people will quickly get bored of and never use. Even if i did use it regularly, they are so small that i stop noticing them almost immediately when watching the programme.
  • Brightness Fluctuations
    I have not had this happen at all so i suspect that it was a QC issue, isolated to individual sets.
  • Image retention
    Nothing major to note. Certainly nothing that hasn't disappeared almost immediately
  • Black Level
    Its not as black as the VT20 but its still fine. I have got Spears and Munsil disc on order too so when that arrives i will have a bash at seeing if i can improve that area a bit.

sunderland

Just to add a more positive view to the general gloom surrounding this telly, I have had a 60PX990 for a couple of weeks and am very happy with it. 2d picture is great and 3d is really immersive with such a large screen. It might just be the extra inches (ahem) but I reckon that the 3d is loads easier on the eyes than my old Panasonic 50VT20 that went back after 5 months of trying to learn to live with the 50hz bug! Aesthetically, its also streets ahead of the Panny and best of all, it was only £1,770 so i made a profit when i sent the old one back!!

• Line Bleed
    a minimal amount of line bleed but tbh i wouldn't have spotted it if i wasn't really close to the screen looking for it.
  • Black Bars
    3d blu ray is excellent on the one disc i tried (Ice Age 3) and there were no black or translucent bars at the side of the picture at all. I was using a Panasonic BDT300 3d player rather than the PS3 but my gut feel is that, given that the issue has been reported on some discs and not others, this is entirely source dependent rather than being a hardware issue.

2d-3d does have black bars but I was surprised at how small they are, given the reaction it has generated on Avforums, especially as its essentially a gimmick that most people will quickly get bored of and never use. Even if i did use it regularly, they are so small that i stop noticing them almost immediately when watching the programme.
    I have not had this happen at all so i suspect that it was a QC issue, isolated to individual sets.
  • Image retention
    Nothing major to note. Certainly nothing that hasn't disappeared almost immediately
  • Black Level
    Its not as black as the VT20 but its still fine. I have got Spears and Munsil disc on order too so when that arrives i will have a bash at seeing if i can improve that area a bit.

glad your happy with yours,robert whyte have emailed me again saying they will fetch me 1 of there new batch next tuesday so hopefully i have no probs but time will tell,but glad your happy with yours

mikewhite

Standard Member

• Line Bleed
  • Black Bars

• Image retention
  • Black Level

Excellent post , thanks, I am with sunderland, getting my delivery tuesday , hoping for the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone