The Official PK790 Plasma Thread

Member 300569

Prominent Member
Reaction score
<TABLE style="WIDTH: 495pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=660 border=0 x:str><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 495pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 24137" width=660><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 120pt" height=160><TD class=xl66 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; WIDTH: 495pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; HEIGHT: 120pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=660 height=160>LG Plasma TV provides you with a superb Large screen cinematic experience with faster response times and deeper blacks than LCD and LED TVs which is perfect for watching fast action sports and movies.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></B>

PK790front.jpg

PK790side.jpg

PK790 (50 &60&#8221;)
Features:
&#8226; Infinia Design
&#8226; Stylish design with slim frame & depth
&#8226; Glass Stand
&#8226; Full HD 1080p
&#8226; Freeview HD
&#8226; 600Hz Max Sub-field Driving
&#8226; 3,000,000:1 Mega Contrast Ratio
&#8226; THX
&#8226; Picture Wizard II
&#8226; Intelligent Sensor
&#8226; Clear Voice II
&#8226; Invisible Speaker (10W + 10W)
&#8226; NetCast (WiFi Dongle Supplied)
&#8226; Smart Energy Saving Plus
&#8226; DLNA
&#8226; Wireless AV Link
&#8226; Bluetooth
&#8226; 4 x HDMI
&#8226; USB 2.0 (DivX HD, MP3, Jpeg play)

The LG PK790 Infinia Plasma TV series provides superb picture quality with a stunning single layer Infinia design. Convert your living room to a sports stadium or cinema with this large experience perfect for watching sport and movies in crystal clear picture quality. The PK7 is not only Full HD 1080p with LG 600Hz technology but also gives you access to your favourite internet content such as youtube with LG NetCast technology. Add freeview HD built in for 5 times picture quality improvement over standard definition freeview - the PK7 Infinia Series will keep you on the edge of your seat.

The PK790 has an estimated release date of April

Last edited:
There have been loads of new threads on the new models pop up in the single day that I've been without a computer, I'm struggling to keep up! This one looks rather exciting though.

How thick is it? Slimness is obviously something which has been a big thing in the LCD/LED market, is it starting to come into the LG plasma world?

It's 5.2cm in depth for the 50" and 60" - LG Plasma TVs this year are much thinner and lighter in weight than the 2009 range. Hopefully there will be less concerns about wall mounting these super large TVs this year!!

In terms of bezel trim colour - we need to double check to ensure these are 100% correct colours for UK.

We'll do this tomorrow and hopefully update by end of the day if required.

Do you have any idea of prices, I'm looking to get a feel of the difference between this compared to the PK990 @50"

Cheers,
Matt

Website will be updated next week with new models...

Price of pk790 will be c£200 less than pk990.

George

Pixmania Pro U.K.: 50PK760 £675.75 exc. VAT - Availability: 30/04/2010

LG 50PK760 PLASMA SCREEN Wholesalers LG 50PK760 PLASMA SCREEN buying bulk traders exporters suppliers wholesale prices dropshipment

It could be the french version, so you should check what kind of tuner it has (DVB-T2 or the "old" DVB-T + MPEG4).

BTW, in any case now we know 1 price :)

I wonder when the new model will be showed on all the LG web sites, and the manuals will be available for download.

Evening all.
Does the LG come with a standard "kettle like" power lead , or is it a propriety plug to the screen ?
cheers
John

LG 50PK790 review (CNET):

LG PK790 (50PK790) Full Review, Television Reviews on CNET UK

Rating: 8.0 (LG PK550 was 9.0 and panasonic G20 was 8.6)

Conclusion

"The LG 50PK790 is a really fine plasma TV. We like its multimedia capabilities, and it's certainly among the best 50-inch TVs we've seen when it comes to showing HD pictures, especially after you've run it for long enough to overcome its early image-retention issues."

What we think: Big improvement on LG's previous plasma TVs, offering excellent hi-def images and loads of features.

The 550/590 seems to have the best reviews from users and expert reviews.

Quote from user on another forum....

"wow the picture quality of the 550 wins over the 750 i was with both for a week and everything that he said is totally true 550 handle the 24hz better than 750.he said that 750 24hz mode looks more like regular 60 hz and is very true .550 have better contrast black levels and more accurate color picture and i can tell the picture on the 750 pq look dull and wash out."

Evening all.
Does the LG come with a standard "kettle like" power lead , or is it a propriety plug to the screen ?
cheers
John

ALL LG (2010) Plasmas and LCD's come with a Kettle Lead (IEC)

Some/most LED's come with a 'moulded' plug that CAN be changed by a suitable electrician... (not standard connection, more like a multiblock inside the TV behind a removable panel.)

Hi,

Can anyone comment about the "image retention" issue that is clearly a problem with this line of LG plasmas. Is it something that I should be worried or not? On one hand this model has a very attractive price point but does it really come with this annoying / distracting issue on the other.

Thanks.

What are you going to be using it for? If you're going to be having 4hour+ gaming sessions, or watching news channels a lot then you probably should worry about it and look elsewhere, but for casual gaming it should be fine. From what I've read elsewhere the new models still have the problem, although I can't personally comment on what they're like compared to previous models.

Plus some people live with it easily, others can't stand it, so it really depends on personal tolerances as well.

From what I know there will be no gaming with this system :) Mostly either hours of TV or DVD / BR etc watching. Still, I think that the retention problem will diminish over time but does it go away completely or does it stay but less visible... Probably no other manufacturer will offer something similar to LGs model (price/feature)!? I like it's 50" but now I'm starting to think back to LCDs and therefore probably smaller ones.

It's more a case of image retention is a potential big problem when it's brand new, and then just something which can be a mild annoyance after it's initial run in period. I have a PG6000 and I use that for gaming quite a bit, at first the image retention was really bad, but it did get better, but it hasn't got any better after the first couple of weeks, in theory it should get better though, the difference is probably just so small you can't really notice, and it's possibly more resistant to permanent burn in as it gets older.

As for watching TV and blu-rays/DVDs you shouldn't really have any issues with image retention at all, for movies with black bars at the top and bottom you'll probably find that the bars are still visible for a short period after the movie is finished (the top and bottom of the screen are a bit darker than the middle), but that goes very quickly, and when watching TV you might get some image retention from channel logos, so if you watch any channels with really bright logos then you might have a problem, but IR only really becomes a concern with big gamers and news channel watchers.

Any one know or who has got this tv know if I can just buy any wifi dongle and it will work with my wireless network

Thanks in advance :smashin:

Has anyone a bullet-point list of the differences between the 50PK750, 50PK760 and the 50PK790?
The former units are both available in mainland Europe, is the PK790 UK specific?
Thanks!

The PK790 is UK specific, but the only difference is that it has freeviewHD. Not sure about the differences between the PK750 and the PK760 though.

Does anyone actually have[ a PK790 yet? I'm in the market to upgrade my old 848x480 42" LG, and the choices for me are between a 50 inch Panasonic G20 or a PK790 with enough change to build a media PC as well. All the local to me shops (Hull) have the 590 in stock but the quality of darker areas of the image show a lot of image noise, which the G20 doesn't have - I'm eager to see if the 790/990 suffer this as well.

Originally i looked at and ordered a 790 because i liked the style with the flat glass front and thin chassis, however when my tv was delivered the company i brought it from had sent me a 590 out by mistake.

At first i was irate and straight on the phone complaining and moaning and it was arranged the tv would be picked up the following tuesday (it was bank holiday so monday was out) and my tv would then be shipped out to me on the thursday after they received the wrong model back.

After a couple of hours talking with the wife and thinking about it we decided that actually the glass front and fancy glass stand wasnt really worth the £150 premium and decided to keep the 590 bearing in mind it is essentially the same tv just without the flat front.

The picture quality is exactly the same as the 790 i looked at prior to purchase and the slim frame bezel looks very sexy and modern whilst the chassis is very slim for a plasma screen and i have a £150 back in the bank.

The moral of my story is, take a good hard look at the 590 cause its a great tv with all the features and picture quality of the 790 but you pay over a £100 less for it

Originally i looked at and ordered a 790 because i liked the style with the flat glass front and thin chassis, however when my tv was delivered the company i brought it from had sent me a 590 out by mistake.

At first i was irate and straight on the phone complaining and moaning and it was arranged the tv would be picked up the following tuesday (it was bank holiday so monday was out) and my tv would then be shipped out to me on the thursday after they received the wrong model back.

After a couple of hours talking with the wife and thinking about it we decided that actually the glass front and fancy glass stand wasnt really worth the £150 premium and decided to keep the 590 bearing in mind it is essentially the same tv just without the flat front.

The picture quality is exactly the same as the 790 i looked at prior to purchase and the slim frame bezel looks very sexy and modern whilst the chassis is very slim for a plasma screen and i have a £150 back in the bank.

The moral of my story is, take a good hard look at the 590 cause its a great tv with all the features and picture quality of the 790 but you pay over a £100 less for it

If you're looking at the 590 then I suggest looking at the PK350 too - again the same panel but cheaper. The picture is also better (at least until a proposed firmware update) due to better black levels and ability to turn off edge enhancement. Styling is slim, simple and pretty - if lacking the flashy flat glass frontage. One of the best pictures I've seen in basic "Expert 1" mode out of the box. All you miss is internet and freeview HD - if you have Sky not a problem really.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom