The Official PK790 Plasma Thread

Monarch

Distinguished Member
It's a bit quiet in the PK790 thread! :) Just wondering if this is because no one has problems with the 790 or the panel is not really that popular? - Mines great BTW ;)

It's not hugely popular, due to not having an awful lot over the PK590 over here in the UK (there are a few omissions from the PK590 in other countries I think, like NetCast and DLNA etc...). I'd say most PK790 owners have found a deal, or want the design so decided the extra £50-£100 or so is worth it.

Hades

Distinguished Member
I wish mine had not buzzed, was a cracking set... missing a 50" on the wall now :(

panman40

Distinguished Member
I wish mine had not buzzed, was a cracking set... missing a 50" on the wall now :(

Gary thats very interseting, I dont think you had the 790 all that long did you ?,
Only my PX990 has the same 2D PQ as my previous two 590's, thats why im curious as to all the faults you saw with 2D on the PX :confused::)

Hades

Distinguished Member
Gary thats very interseting, I dont think you had the 790 all that long did you ?,
Only my PX990 has the same 2D PQ as my previous two 590's, thats why im curious as to all the faults you saw with 2D on the PX :confused::)
As you know I could hear the buzz on this from over 9ft away, it was bad. I used the breakin slides on it for a good 15 hours per day. There was not a single stuck/dead pixel.

It had some DSE but was not that bad and I hardly saw any line bleed on it.

From the various thread on LG, it would seem that DSE/line bleed/buzzing are common features on the 2010 models. But it seems to vary in intensity on each set.

I can tell you now I would still have the 790 if it were not buzzing that bad.

Even the IR on the 790 was far more acceptable than on the PX990. But I can only from my personal experience and what my eyes/ears picked up on.

milano j

As you know I could hear the buzz on this from over 9ft away, it was bad. I used the breakin slides on it for a good 15 hours per day. There was not a single stuck/dead pixel.

From the various thread on LG, it would seem that DSE/line bleed/buzzing are common features on the 2010 models. But it seems to vary in intensity on each set.

Even the IR on the 790 was far more acceptable than on the PX990. But I can only from my personal experience and what my eyes/ears picked up on.

so what have you got now;)

Hades

Distinguished Member
Nothing ;) ;)

milano j

Hades

Distinguished Member

milano j

I'm waiting to see what you change to :smashin:

that will be nada then;)as i have given the ghost up on tvs for the moment,in the next year or 2 i would kinda like and probably will go for some set over the 65" mark as i really do think in the world of home cinema SIZE DOES MATTER a 72" set would be the the crowning glory but i must save up for a new car to replace my type R gt in the next year so that takes priority over everything;)

Hades

Distinguished Member
Type R, 72" TV... oh how the other half live hey ;)

milano j

Type R, 72" TV... oh how the other half live hey ;)

not at all i have turkey july 2011 to think of 1st:)i am a lodger in my girlfriends with just dig money to pay but i have been unemployed for the last 6 months my friend but i have just finished my electrical engineers degree so i hope i will be getting a better job soon,hence i have i have high hopes for the future:)

panman40

Distinguished Member
I'm waiting to see what you change to :smashin:

Damn you hussie :eek:, i thought you were waiting to see what i get :rotfl::rotfl:.

Yep totally agree on the 2010 Features, Although i must say i dont really get any problematic IR on the PX, Perhaps you had a worse example than me, if thats possible :eek::laugh:

Hades

Distinguished Member
Damn you hussie :eek:, i thought you were waiting to see what i get :rotfl::rotfl:.

Yep totally agree on the 2010 Features, Although i must say i dont really get any problematic IR on the PX, Perhaps you had a worse example than me, if thats possible :eek::laugh:
I have a funny feeling it will be another LG for me despite what I've said before. I just hope the new ones have significant improvements. Their 60" versions are quite affordable.

Time will tell.

guyan123

Novice Member
Hi
While putting my 60pk790 on the wall i have lightly scratched the screen.
Can someone tell me if this screen is coated because if it is not i might be able to use a plastic scratch removal polish.
Many thanks

milano j

Hi
While putting my 60pk790 on the wall i have lightly scratched the screen.
Can someone tell me if this screen is coated because if it is not i might be able to use a plastic scratch removal polish.
Many thanks

if you very closely at the edges of glass screen at about 3mm in from the outside you might see the pvc coating that most infinia designed tvs have, if you have this it can be peeled off,it maybe only the plastic coating you have marked if your pk790 has it,its the only thing i can think of

panman40

Distinguished Member
if you very closely at the edges of glass screen at about 3mm in from the outside you might see the pvc coating that most infinia designed tvs have, if you have this it can be peeled off,it maybe only the plastic coating you have marked if your pk790 has it,its the only thing i can think of

Bit like buying a brand new metallic Car and peeling off the Laquer :facepalm::rotfl:

milano j

Bit like buying a brand new metallic Car and peeling off the Laquer :facepalm::rotfl:

if his tv is marked or its just the pvc coating that is marked then i would take the pvc coating off,i have taken the coating off a 55" tv without much trouble and it actually looked aesthetically better its just an idea to erase the scratch thats all and if it works then all the better as it wont duller it will look better and not like peeling the laquer off a new car:nono:;)

tausifs

I note that the AVForums review of this TV is once again awaited.

It seems hardly anywhere is selling this now though, anyway. Is it discontinued ?

LFC4LIFE1

Novice Member
Hi
Need some help here,
I have the 50PK790,
Only had it for a couple of weeks,
2day after watching a documentary I switch channels and notice the channel logo was still there after changing channels,
Luckly the screen-burn isn't that bad and after running the colour wash it has reduce the screen burn to point that it is completely gone,
After seeing this, kind of worried,
My setting were really high so now have set too,
Contrast 80
Brightness 50
Is that ok,
Or his there some thing else I could do to reduce anychance of future screen burns,

Also with the faint screen burn should I just leave it on colour wash for a few hours???

Cheers

Monarch

Distinguished Member
Hi
Need some help here,
I have the 50PK790,
Only had it for a couple of weeks,
2day after watching a documentary I switch channels and notice the channel logo was still there after changing channels,
Luckly the screen-burn isn't that bad and after running the colour wash it has reduce the screen burn to point that it is completely gone,
After seeing this, kind of worried,
My setting were really high so now have set too,
Contrast 80
Brightness 50
Is that ok,
Or his there some thing else I could do to reduce anychance of future screen burns,

Also with the faint screen burn should I just leave it on colour wash for a few hours???

Cheers

Are you sure you weren't on that channel again more recently? (unless the TV was off in those 2 days?). I'd expect a small amount of image retention from a channel logo, but I wouldn't expect it to last a couple of days (unless you were on that channel all day,or a lot of time before that), and if it was on there for a couple of days then it seems very coincidental that it should go so quickly after you discovering it :laugh:

LFC4LIFE1

Novice Member
Sorry I meant 2day as today,
The tv had been on for most of the day watch 4 football matches,
And then BBC iplayer and one other program so was on that channel for 2 or more hrs which cased the slight screen burn,
But running the colour wash for 1hr last night,
This morning before I left I checked and it was gone,
Stress free again,
Think this was due to the contrast being at 95 which is what I got using the picture wizard,
Dropped it to 80 now,
First ever plasma so still learning,
But it has been the perfect upgrade so far from my previous which started getting flashing pixels...

What are the recommended picture settings,
Cheers for the help...

mjbtin

Sorry I meant 2day as today,
The tv had been on for most of the day watch 4 football matches,
And then BBC iplayer and one other program so was on that channel for 2 or more hrs which cased the slight screen burn,
But running the colour wash for 1hr last night,
This morning before I left I checked and it was gone,
Stress free again,
Think this was due to the contrast being at 95 which is what I got using the picture wizard,
Dropped it to 80 now,
First ever plasma so still learning,
But it has been the perfect upgrade so far from my previous which started getting flashing pixels...

What are the recommended picture settings,
Cheers for the help...

Top advice here.

Plasma Screen Burn Prevention

Regards Martin

vinter

Standard Member
Hey I've been searching for a post with some good settings for this tv? Can't find it.. Does anyone know what settings "people use"

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on UK streaming services for December 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Best Projectors of 2021 - Editor's Choice Awards
  • By Steve Withers
  • Published
Black Friday 2021: What you need to know
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Blu-ray Special - The Cinema of Zhang Yimou & Gong Li