The Official LW650T LED Cinema 3D TV Thread *Part 3*

Status
Not open for further replies.

RottenFox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Discussion continued from here!

Well I successfully enabled THX using my Phat PSP (1000 model) with IRshell and it looks amazing!!
Still need to test some Blu-Ray's but I watched Black Mirror - 15 Mil' Merits on Sky+ HD last night and the colours were SOOO rich...... I just got Legend of the Guardians 3D so ill watch that later!

How do you tell if the box has been opened? The two I have had just have plastic clips (x4) holding the box to the base. Easy to put them back in as I did this to store the box.

Got a third screen coming now so just wondering if you can tell on the outside. Neither boxes had seal stickers!

So annoying the banding, after calibration the picture is extremely good, except the pan contrast banding. Some shots which you would assume to contain banding dont, then others it does. The sky panasonic film into thingy (not the xmas version) is bad on mine current one.

We took delivery of our 47LW650T at the weekend and overall are very happy with both the TV and the Home Cinema System (806SH) we purchased alongisde.

It's setup with the Sky HD box (DRX890-Z) and Home Cinema each connected via HDMI to the TV....and the Sky HD box and Home Cinema connected via Optical Cable (assume this is right - Currys seemed to suggest the Optical could also go between the TV and the Home Cinema system?)

Anyhow, everything appears to be fine apart from the volume on Sky HD channels seemingly being much louder than standard channels.

Has anyone else come across this before and is it 'normal'? It's just a bit of a pain to have to keep changing volume levels.

Any advice gratefully received from other owners who have experience this problem also.

Thanks

Pete

HD channels output proper Dolby Digital whilst the others are just pro-logic. So yeah, volume levels will differ because of the source material.

How do you tell if the box has been opened? The two I have had just have plastic clips (x4) holding the box to the base. Easy to put them back in as I did this to store the box.

Got a third screen coming now so just wondering if you can tell on the outside. Neither boxes had seal stickers!

So annoying the banding, after calibration the picture is extremely good, except the pan contrast banding. Some shots which you would assume to contain banding dont, then others it does. The sky panasonic film into thingy (not the xmas version) is bad on mine current one.

Previously opened boxes will have a run of clear parcel tape over the original seal, the boxes we encountered had the tape cut very much to the exact length.

Previously opened boxes will have a run of clear parcel tape over the original seal, the boxes we encountered had the tape cut very much to the exact length.

Where is the seal? Sorry for sounding stupid but the only tape I've seen is across the top of the box, but you don't open the box just take the four plastic clips out and lift the sealed box off the base. Is there meant to be a seal @ the bottom of the base between the lid.

Has anyone got a banding free TV when watching HD football that previously had banding of the same materal on a previous set?

According to some technical reports LCD's all suffer from this problem esp. IPS panels!! Will look for the link explaining this.

I've enabled thx on my 55lw650t tonight and the colours are definitely better than before. However, the picture still looks a little soft and slightly washed out. Can anyone post their thx settings for bright and dark room? Much appreciated! I've also noticed that the 3d doesn't look quite as deep on thx as it does on standard.

speedymct said:
I've enabled thx on my 55lw650t tonight and the colours are definitely better than before. However, the picture still looks a little soft and slightly washed out. Can anyone post their thx settings for bright and dark room? Much appreciated! I've also noticed that the 3d doesn't look quite as deep on thx as it does on standard.

Looking at the THX settings that have been posted elsewhere on the net, the reason the 3D doesn't look as deep, is that standard uses some of the processing functions of the TV and increased sharpness. So with the THX settings you are getting a more natural picture but it will look a little different to the standard preset (this is to try and artificially make the image look better) Also you need to calibrate the THX settings on a set by set basis to get the actual desired results. There is no way without any greyscale correction you can get within the THX required dE of less than 3 without this.

Looking at the THX settings that have been posted elsewhere on the net, the reason the 3D doesn't look as deep, is that standard uses some of the processing functions of the TV and increased sharpness. So with the THX settings you are getting a more natural picture but it will look a little different to the standard preset (this is to try and artificially make the image look better) Also you need to calibrate the THX settings on a set by set basis to get the actual desired results. There is no way without any greyscale correction you can get within the THX required dE of less than 3 without this.

Thanks for the reply. Is there a calibration guide on here? I have searched but seem to be going round in circles!!

Hi guys. I purchased a 650T a couple of weeks back from Currys. Must admit, pretty happy with it although if there was more in the way of competition for passive 3D I'm not sure if I'd still have purchased it.

Anyway - I have read pretty much every post on part 1 & 2 of this dedicated forum and have taken the advice in relation to setting up an Xbox on this TV - All is working well and has fixed the AV Sync issues. Thanks

The issue I am still experiencing is Lip-Sync with the Sky input - As i dont want to sabotage this forum for this specific issue I created a post which details current setup and connectivity issues I'm having. As there's a vast knowledge of LG products on this forum I'm hoping that someone here may be able to help

Here's the thread i created - http://www.avforums.com/forums/av-a...up-questions-hdmi-optical-inputs-outputs.html

Thanks in advance. And good luck to all those awaiting replacement TV's!

James

THX is soft and dark for my viewing, well for TV anyway. I like the backlight upto 50+ and local dimming low. I also up the sharpness to 65 and add some red. ISF or Standard get great results so I don't use THX anymore.

3D THX is way dull!

Each set will vary, so best just keep adjusting until your eyes like it. Picture can get stunning when you get it right, just the vertical banding letting it down TBH.

I am getting my set today :D. The set was cheaper then the 550 in the same size and even has a 100 euro cashback so the choice was a no brainer :).
I can't wait for it to arrive :D.

3D THX is way dull!

That's exactly what I thought!! I have turned up the backlight to 50 and the sharpness to 70 on the normal THX bright setting and it seems better.

I haven't changed the THX 3D setting yet as I didn't realise it was different to the other THX setting, so I'll have a go later.

just the vertical banding letting it down TBH.

Must admit I didn't notice to begin with, but after fiddling with the settings it's getting on my nerves a bit. Like someone else posted it's almost like having OCD trying to tweak all the settings to get rid of banding etc...:facepalm:

Also... Is it possible to connect a keyboard? When in smart mode it's quite tedious using the on screen keyboard (slightly better with the remote iPhone app). Just wondered if it was possible to connect one of if LG make a keyboard?

So my new set has just arrived and I am stunned with the picture quality :D.

I come from a LG42PG6000 (which I still think has a fantastic picture) and though my new 46LW650 is not that much bigger I do feel as if it is a lot bigger.

The set has a bit of light bleeding on the lower left corner but has no problems until now with any DSE.
Like many I have played the Tangled blu-ray and with the clip on glasses (AG-F220) I had some cross talk along the edges of the screen but that can partially because of the floating window 3D system that Disney uses for their movies. However, when I put on my Polaroid 3D glasses I have absolutely no crosstalk :).

I also played a bit of Uncharted 2 to try some gaming which went also really well after I changed HDMI1 to PC and the screen settings to Game Mode.

The firmware is 03.06.50 at the moment, will update it later :), for now it is working like a charm :D

I was having doubts first and was thinking of getting a plasma instead of this one but I am really happy that I went for this set.

The tv is build btw in September.

Peeps, I have another set coming on Sunday which is worrying me because:

1) Generally the picture is great, only the thin vertical banding lines say about 20 of them across the screen!
2) no black/light issues etc.

These bands are mostly hidden, but always visable on panning long shots on football.

My question is does anyone have a vertical banding free set on football? It would be easy to answer that you don't have any banding as generally I can NOT see any. Anyone had this issue, swapped the set out and got a better one? I have read on this thread people have eventually got a perfect or better one, but just asking directly on football.

Just watched Megamind 3D, Eastenders skyHD and great picture with not visable issues!!

Please someone as I'm not sure whether just to keep the one I have as this will be screen 3!!!

P.S. I have read technical reports that this style of panel will always have these thin vertical bands, so am I looking for something I can't have?

Can anyone verify if the optical out distributes sound from all sources (including the Smart apps, youtube etc...) I've got the sound to my stereo from the AV1 dongle at the moment and it only outputs sound from the Freeview channels.

vectrasri99 said:
Peeps, I have another set coming on Sunday which is worrying me because:

1) Generally the picture is great, only the thin vertical banding lines say about 20 of them across the screen!
2) no black/light issues etc.

These bands are mostly hidden, but always visable on panning long shots on football.

My question is does anyone have a vertical banding free set on football? It would be easy to answer that you don't have any banding as generally I can NOT see any. Anyone had this issue, swapped the set out and got a better one? I have read on this thread people have eventually got a perfect or better one, but just asking directly on football.

Just watched Megamind 3D, Eastenders skyHD and great picture with not visable issues!!

Please someone as I'm not sure whether just to keep the one I have as this will be screen 3!!!

P.S. I have read technical reports that this style of panel will always have these thin vertical bands, so am I looking for something I can't have?

I had 3 650t and all had vertical DSE when panning eg watching footy. It's a common fault with led sets and I honestly don't believe there are any without this issue, but it is less evident on some sets.
If you have one with no light bleed or other problems my advice would be keep it.
I have kept mine and to be honest I don't notice the DSE now or I have learnt to ignore it as the picture quality is excellent .

I have demo this set and am very close to taking the plunge. The only issue is I am an avid gamer and have read issues with input lag.

Has this been solved via firmware update or is it in the pipeline.

As someone by any chance find perfect settings which get rid of the problem, I don't understand why this tv has the issue much worse than any other (according to articles I have read).

Rename the input to PC and set the picture settings to Game, that fixes the worst part of lag. Fixed it for me at least, works like a charm I would say. At least it does not bother me that much.

55"650

Set number 3 turned up (must say Currys have been excellent in all this TBH and would use them again), November build (don't think this means anything) and it was un-opened

Colour out the box was better then the oct build I had (wife said it straight away), not sure about the other Nov as it was a brief encounter.

The red is better as I needed to run +15 on red tint before, but not on this set. Not that the Oct was worse, it just needed abit more work to sort the red.

Banding!!!!! It still has vertical banding, but it is alot better then the other two (Oct,Nov). Instead of having 15-20 thin vertical bands it has a few wider ones. These are less noticable TBH and I will probably keep this set, don't want to risk it again. I also feel sorry for Currys having to deal with LG's issues, but they assure me they go back to LG for replacement NOT back into circulation. I think LG might be dressing them and sending them back to Currys etc.

Light bleed is fine as it was on all 3.

I checked my mums two Sony (non led) tv's on the football @ lunch and they both had banding, so feel you have to be very luck to get a perfect one esp. on 55".

Could be wrong, but I'm sure this set has a tad more colour depth, this maybe associated with the fact that the RED tint is different so maybe something is!!!! Both running 5???? software and my wife (who doesn't normally get involved) just said she thinks the picture is better. I'm seeing better purple colour and deep, deep colours.

Very impressive screen, if you can handle vertical banding (some more some less) which if you can't you need to go or stay plasma.

The 1920x1080 strickly final (all others were 1440x1080) looks amazing - cant wait for OLED.

Ok I now have had more time with my third 55" 650.

Colour is better, out the box for sure, infact I would say it has better colour period as needs minor adjustments and looks simply brilliant (deeper). Wife reckons too!!!

Watching Avatar which suits tru-motion IMO and it wasn't working!!!! The smoothing was not working and had movement errors in small moving details errors (last panel was perfect on the film on blu-ray). If de-judder was 10 it sort of worked but stuttered every second. Seriously *ed off as I do like tru-motion on some films.

Anyway I was about to throw this TV off the wall and get another one when I by chance noticed the TV info button (was checking for 24Hz) stated HDMI3 when the old one was plugged into '2'. Anyway I swapped the inputs over so now the blu-ray is on HDMI2 and it is as smooth as silk with ZERO errors. It makes no difference what settings you use just that it needed to be in HDMI2. I might check 1 & 4 to see whats going on.

Basically if you have movement errors try a different port, sounds stupid but just do it!!!

Note: I had not labelled the inputs so it wasn't in pc mode etc etc it just doesn't work on HDMI3!

Can you use the andriod app to setup/unlock the thx option?

Would be great if someone could give me a quick run down how to do it preferably using the andriod app as I haven't got the magic remote.

does the 650 have less input lag than the 450?, and is the pic quality any better other than the higher contrast ratio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom