The Official LG PJ350 Plasma Thread

Hi
I'm French and sorry for my poor english.

I bought a 42pj350 and it's a very beautifull plasma.
My firmware is 3.12 too but no divx and mkv.

I tried to change with ez adjust remote in tool3 usb : HD but nothing.

Hiro76, can u see the options in the ez adjust , please ?

Thanks

how do I access the settings u mention?

let me know so that I can check. :)

Just bought this tv and so far so good.. Just wondering if anyone any calibration settings for it yet... Thanks

I've done some digging on the internet for optimising the display settings for this, hope it helps, I'm going to try them out tonight too but if anyone has any advance on these then please let us all know...

Starting off under the assumption that 'Cinema' has been selected;

Contrast - 75
Brightness - 50
Sharpness - 30
Colour Temperature - Slightly Cool (?)
Colour Gamut - Wide
Dynamic Contrast - Low
Edge Enhancement - Off
Dynamic Colour - Off
Gamma - Medium

I don't quite know how some of the settings correlate with the options on the setup menu but I'm sure all will become apparent when I get back after work (or internet browsing as it more often ends up bein!) and I'll post my findings tomorrow.

interesting thread. I recently bought a LG42PJ350 and mine plays avi files but not MKVs, even though it states on LG's website that it plays MKVs.

This is a great TV my only gripe is that I've only had it for 3 weeks and I watch BBC World News on it for around an hour every morning - yesterday I discovered the BBC logo had burned-in to the screen. Pretty annoyed after only a few hours of use. I'm hoping it'll disappear over time, I'm now watching the BBC with brightness and contrast right down and zoomed in to avoid making it worse. Anyone else have experience of IR or Burn-in like this?

Also, to xVimfuegox - you say yours will play .AVI files but not .MKV - it's one more ability than mine has! What firmware version is yours running and what country was it bought in?

I've done some digging on the internet for optimising the display settings for this, hope it helps, I'm going to try them out tonight too but if anyone has any advance on these then please let us all know...

Starting off under the assumption that 'Cinema' has been selected;

Contrast - 75
Brightness - 50
Sharpness - 30
Colour Temperature - Slightly Cool (?)
Colour Gamut - Wide
Dynamic Contrast - Low
Edge Enhancement - Off
Dynamic Colour - Off
Gamma - Medium

I don't quite know how some of the settings correlate with the options on the setup menu but I'm sure all will become apparent when I get back after work (or internet browsing as it more often ends up bein!) and I'll post my findings tomorrow.

Without having anything to test them by they don't look good to me if you want to get in the right area for what you would achieve with calibration. Dynamic contrast should be off, and colour temperature should probably be on warm, they're the things which stand out most to me. Although I don't have a TV to test them on of course, it's just that all other TVs operate in that way! To me they look like the settings you would use if you wanted the brightest (ie bluest) and more overblown picture which is, in reality, miles away from the standards followed by the film and TV people.

@Monarch - You're probably right, he worked in an AV store somewhere and I suppose there they would be set up to be OTT. I'm going to have a proper play around with it tonight as not had chance since getting it. On a side note, and there's probably a thread about this already but is it worth a complete beginner at all this shelling out on one of these AVIA disks to set this TV up? Also, don't you need access to the service menu to get the most out of it and there was talk at the start of this thread that it had been locked on LGs 2010 range?

Muchos gracias amigo!

If you want to get the best out of your TV then you do need to calibrate it, although I believe that AVIA disks are aimed more at CRTs than the more modern types like plasma. There are several methods of doing it, and can cost as much as £300 or even more if you get a professional in to do it, ultimately if you have the main controls set correctly (which can be roughly done by eye) then the more advanced greyscale and colour controls wont change anything by a huge amount, it's more a case of taking it that extra little step which for some people just makes the whole experience complete, you can't do these things by eye, so I'm sure you can gather that the differences aren't huge. In order to fully do it all like that though you will need to buy disks with test patters and various bits of equipment to measure the various different levels to a high enough degree of accuracy, and overall you could easily end up spending well over £100-£150 on that kind of stuff.

You don't need to access the service menu to get all of this, LG provide all of these picture controls in the menus, unlike Panasonic who, although they've expanded a little on the higher end models, have kept these controls hidden in the service menu. The only way to get more out of an LG TV using the service menu is on the models where you don't get access to the USB features like divxHD playback, this can be unlocked in the service menu.

If you want me to go into more detail on calibration then I can, there is a forum with people more knowledgeable than me though, you'll be able to find it all in there somewhere - ISF Calibration Forum at AVForums.com

Thanks Monarch, I'll have a look at the threads there as a starting block and have a muck around tonight to try and get my head round the options and their effects first before besieging you with questions! To be honest though I'm not anal enough to care if adjustments aren't noticeable by eye so I'll not be throwing money at it, I've no doubt that it's possible to spend as much as the TV cost if absolute perfection was the goal!

It's completely understandable not to want to go through full calibration, it does take a lot of time and/or money to do properly. Does the PJ350 have a picture wizard feature? That's the best way to get the basic controls set correctly. I'm sure you could download the test patters used to set contrast, brightness, sharpness and colour correctly off the internet.

@Monarch - You're probably right, he worked in an AV store somewhere and I suppose there they would be set up to be OTT. I'm going to have a proper play around with it tonight as not had chance since getting it. On a side note, and there's probably a thread about this already but is it worth a complete beginner at all this shelling out on one of these AVIA disks to set this TV up? Also, don't you need access to the service menu to get the most out of it and there was talk at the start of this thread that it had been locked on LGs 2010 range?

Muchos gracias amigo!

Calibration is essential if you want to get the best, and if you want the best, yes, you will have to call in the experts who will then try to calibrate your TV and bring it as close as possible to the standards that are set. Notice I say "close as possible", because even a reference quality TV will fall short in some areas. The best a calibrator can hope for is to make a TV perform to the best of that TV's ability.
Is it worth £200? It is to some.
You ask about the hidden menus being locked. This is, in part, down to a lot of LG owners over the past couple of years delving into the service menus and ruining their TV's.
An ISF calibrator would be able to unlock the the hidden menus, work his/her magic, then lock the menus again. The ISF locking codes are trade secrets anyhow.

For the average home user, LG have provided the bulk of the controls in the main menus. It depends on the TV, but almost everything will be available to you, from backlight and brightness, to gamma curve and colour adjustments of all the primaries and secondaries. There may be more besides on the newer sets.

There are a few ways to calibrate. If your TV has it, you can follow the picture wizard. This is a series of small tests that should allow you to dial in your TV to give a more accurate picture with minimal fuss or know how.

Method 2 is another cheap and cheerful way that you could already be sitting on. If you own any THX certified DVD's, they probably have a series of test patterns. Just look for the THX button in the DVD menu screen. There are 2 drawbacks to this method. One is that each test may be designed to calibrate your TV for the particular film it came with, therefore, almost completely useless for general calibration. Second is that the THX test requires a blue filter (purchased separately) in order for you to correctly calibrate the colour of the TV.
So, not ideal.

Method 3. Calibration discs. The happy medium, by my reckoning. They don't cost as much as professional equipment or a calibrator, it's yours to keep, use at as often as you need to (you might buy a new TV or disc player one day, and they'll need calibrating too), and they say alot. I can't speak for Avia, but the DVE disc (HD Basics) has a whole narrative, explaining the disc, the different types of displays, and what calibration can do for your viewing. It's a bit of a nerd fest, but you don't have to sit through it, as the tests also come without narration, in their own little section. The disc will also come with blue, red and green filters.
It's certainly an eye opener, and TV's like an LG are made for it.
Worth it for an extra £20.00

Method 4 means taking it a step further and buying equipment and software that may set you back a bit. I'm curious about these devices (Xrite Eye One and Spyder), but like you, I'm not sure I want to spend so much. I wouldn't say no if it was a gift, though.

Method 5 is pro ISF calibration, as already mentioned.

I'm an advocate of calibration, and the I'm a disc user, and I say they are worth it. The difference between my calibrated settings and those of the TV left to it's own presets are a world apart. And of course, it's better than leaving it to my own eye. Anyone can set up a TV to their liking, and that's fine, if you like it that way. But the chances are, it will be a long way off what the standard is. Using a disc, or another method of home calibration may not be perfect, but it'll be closer to the standard, it will be noticeable, and it might just increase your viewing pleasure.

You don't need to access the service menu to get all of this, LG provide all of these picture controls in the menus, unlike Panasonic who, although they've expanded a little on the higher end models, have kept these controls hidden in the service menu. The only way to get more out of an LG TV using the service menu is on the models where you don't get access to the USB features like divxHD playback, this can be unlocked in the service menu.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/isf-calibration/

Monarch, you are getting on my nerves. There was no need to bring up the Panasonic models in this thread, as it is irrelevant, having not been asked about.
The panny models were asked about in the PK350 thread by forum Member Lee Trevis. Part of my answer to him is quoted below.

The other thing about last years Panasonic TV's - they weren't very easy to adjust. If you are the type who likes to calibrate their own TV, you'll be disappointed by the Panny. Their options are very limited, and many of the features that people want are buried within hidden menus that are intended for 'professional' use. Also read the recent reviews on AVForums about some of the current Panny issues.
LG, as you have probably seen, keep everything up front and make adjusting a TV quite easy to do, and relatively pain free experience.

Does it look familiar? It seems that anyone with an ounce of nouse on this forum is almost shadowed by you, and anything remotely likely or clever they might say could be noted and copied by you to use almost immediately later.
Please stop plagiarizing what myself or possibly others say in other threads, especially if you are passing it off as your own thoughts.
This isn't the first time you've done it.
If you want to be the big daddy of the forum and rush around, putting out all the fires, that's fine, but try and use your own brain instead of someone else's. Especially since you seem to be passing it off as your thoughts, trying grab all the glory like some bizarre form of validation.

I, for one, am sick and tired of you making out to be the golden boy on the back of other member's work. This might be an open forum, but credit where it's due, if it's due, and if someone has an original idea or thought, or a sudden epiphany, please have the common decency to not rip them off.

I didn't nick what you said, I also happen to follow what the other TV brands have been doing and have said many times before that the expert controls to calibrate the set with are hidden within the service menu and that LGs aren't, it's not exactly the most complex concept to get your head around. I'm not taking this any further though as filling up the thread with an argument is pointless and irrelevant, I don't go around the forums plagiarising what you or anyone else is saying, I answer the posts from my own head, it's inevitable that I'm going to go over the same topic that you've gone over in the past because these questions, especially ones about calibration, are thrown around quite regularly.

awittyusername (nice by the way :cool: ), if you have any further questions which haven't been answered already, ask away and someone will answer them :thumbsup:

believe it is firmware related. have u checked yours? think in ur country, lg wants you to buy the higher end version.
I'm in the UK and mine only has mp3 and jpegs - and firmware is 3.14.

I'd be interested if anyone manages to crack what seems to be European spec models.

tried but can't get into the service menu

Same here. I'd read elsewhere that doing the same with the menu buttons got into it on some LG TVs but had no luck with that either. Also I'd read on the forum associated with that site that people with the 42PJ350 who could get into the service menu had made the changes recommended and it didn't work anyway. Hopefully somebody with knowledge of these things will find a way to get around all this and let everyone else know.

And on the subject of calibrating the TV, I used Picture Wizard to set it up and the results have been very good. Although, the first area of calibration being brightness, at no point on the slider does the grey box at the top match the 'recommended' example below it. Has anybody else noticed this???

I use this plasma a lot in conjuncture with my pc to play whatever files necessary. Through Boxee & Windows Media Center. I have an average hdmi cable to hook them. My question is: where do i start to calibrate the signal from the vga? Do i play with settings from nvidia AND after with those on pj350? The other way around?

L.E. Is there a way to completely turn off this plasma other then plug it out?

Last edited:
Anyone know if if is mpeg4 compatible for Ireland?

Thanks

hi friends,
i newly bought an lg 50pj350 plasma,
i tested by my pc for dead pixel,
i noticed 1,its not seen when i watch tv,only test in blue and purple colors.
is it a reason to change tv with a new one?
its a good tv.

If it bugs you then change it, if it doesn't then you don't need to. It's a personal choice.

it dont bug me but even if i want it would be hard i think,
i heard some brands says it must be 3 at least.

Hello folks,
I tried to discover the pros and cons of this TV in my perspective of using it for the visual system of a flight simulation setup.
A) How does it handle the 4:3 to 16:9 conversion ?
I know other TVs have kind of a "zoom" system, that fits the vertical edges of the 1024x768 pc output and cut somewhat off the upper and lower edges, which is definite a minor problem for me ...
Does the LG PJ350 perform such operation ?
B) As for image retention ... though a 3 hr flying session could be considered "intense" gaming, it only displays a still picture during the pre-flight activity (refueling, boarding pax, etc.), which lasts approx 35/40 mins.
What's your comment about ?
C) Last, but not least: I read this TV produces lots of heat ... which could turn out into a quite a problem, having the pcs and crts of the simulator in the same room ... do you confirm ?
Thanks for helping and brgds,
EU

Hello guys....im first time here, so this is my 1st post ;)

Im interested did you guys try to put firmware 3.15 on your pj350....i read that it can be done on other models to open the usb for Mkv, Avi....etc.

I am owner of LG pj350, and im very pleased with performance, exepct mirror efect in lighter conditions.....i would like to try put 3.15 firmware on it, but im qouite scared :cool::rolleyes:

hi everyone,
i noticed a problem on my 50pj350,
for example on satellite broadcast when u change the channel the info box comes and the shadow appears to left and to right from the info box,
another example on the news the boxes of news threads,
u can see the shadow by 4:3 mode easliy,is there any way to solve that by a firmware?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom