The Official LG PJ350 Plasma Thread

Anyone done some gaming on a 42PJ350?

Wanted to buy a 37LH2000 LCD for my PS3(and DiVX/dvd/satellite HD) since it seemed a good choice for low input lag, but since these plasmas aren't that much more expensive, might as well get me one of those.

However, I read yesterday that plasmas also can suffer from input lag... So I am having trouble deciding... :confused:

thnx

Hi all,

im a bit of a noob with plasma's- i usually work with LCD's.

One thing is- i just got this TV free with a sofa (yeah, i know), but it says its full HD 720p, but then in the full specs lists HDMI 1080p.

Can someone explain? Can i play blu-ray's and games in 1080?

Thanks

It can take a 1080p signal, like most 720p TVs can, but it can't display in 1080p because it doesn't have enough pixels, it'll downscale a 1080p signal to the resolution of the TV before displaying it. It's a pretty standard thing on TVs these days.

Hi

I've already got the LG 32PG6000 and found it to be a superb TV. Previously I had a 28" CRT so thought that a move to 32" would be fine.

However, I have got the bug and want a bigger TV for the lounge and have spotted that LG have brought out this 42PJ350 and it's available at just £399.99 at Argos.:thumbsup:

How do the TV's compare, I noticed the 42PJ has a 600hz refresh rate as compared with the 100hz on the 32PG. I watch mainly football and the good lady has her tennis, so I'm presuming it's even better. (By the way, my mother swears by Sony Bravia's and has a 50hz 32" which I find annoying when watching sport). Am I correct that 600hz is better and will the PJ350 be as good in all other departments.

I may visit my local Comet tomorrow to see if they'll price-match Argos as Argos appears to be only home-delivery at the moment, presumably until they get them out to their stores.

Any advice would be welcome, thanks

The 600Hz doesn't do a whole lot to the picture, it's not a motion enhancer or anything, it's actually just a refinement of a technology which has always been used in plasma to help with colour graduations in particular. But 100Hz on your PG6000 doesn't help motion either, that just doubles the frames up to reduce flicker, and that's what the 100Hz full refresh rate of the PJ650 will do as well.

That said, if you want a bigger TV and don't have more money to spend, you can't look anywhere else, and motion might be slightly improved over the PG6000.

Thanks for your reply Monarch. I read many of your posts regarding the 32PG6000 with geat interest, all confirming what a great TV I'd purchased.

I'd always thought though that 100hz made less motion blur for sport. My mother and some friends have 50hz Sony Bravia LCDs and I find it annoying watching the football. Why then do the Sony's have poor motion blur against my LG which is totally fine?

As far as the 32PG goes I find it a brilliant TV and plays blue-rays great as well, even though it's only 720p. I just want the same really only bigger and hopefully this will be as good. The 32 can go in my son's room to keep him happy.

Cheers

Anyone know if you can enable MKV on this. I've just bought another 26" LG and love the option.
Thanks

Thanks for your reply Monarch. I read many of your posts regarding the 32PG6000 with geat interest, all confirming what a great TV I'd purchased.

I'd always thought though that 100hz made less motion blur for sport. My mother and some friends have 50hz Sony Bravia LCDs and I find it annoying watching the football. Why then do the Sony's have poor motion blur against my LG which is totally fine?

As far as the 32PG goes I find it a brilliant TV and plays blue-rays great as well, even though it's only 720p. I just want the same really only bigger and hopefully this will be as good. The 32 can go in my son's room to keep him happy.

Cheers

On LCDs 100Hz systems do help with motion, but they're different to the ones on plasmas like the PG6000 or this one, and the reason for that is that LCD technology has a problem with displaying moving pictures, and the reason is that they were designed as PC monitors, where static images are needed and moving ones aren't (static images also cause problems on the traditional CRT and newer plasma techs as well, which made LCDs ideal for it).

The human eye can supposedly recognize flicker up to around 60Hz, TV is broadcast in 50Hz, so technically you should be able to see the flicker, and after moving to a 100Hz plasma I can on my old 50Hz CRT, so plasmas have added 100Hz to reduce that flicker. It's nowhere near as complicated as the interpolation systems used on LCDs which add frames inbetween existing frames (which introduces unwanted artefacts), plasma 100Hz just displays each frame twice. LCDs don't have a flicker problem because they don't 'flash' like CRTs and plasmas, they constantly have an image on screen (which also contributes to their motion problems).

Anyway, I'm glad you like the PG6000, I'm still enjoying mine, and hopefully you'll enjoy this one if you end up with it.

No video playback via the USB on this particular model I am afraid.;)

I assume by this you mean it can't be 'hacked' or altered in the service menu to do this ?

EDIT Just recieved this reply from the LG customer services.

"Thank you for your email.

The USB port will work with digital photos, MP3 tunes and DivX movies.

Best regards,
LG Electronics UK Helpdesk
"

I'm confused now. Looks like I'm going to have to track one down in the flesh and check it out.

Last edited:
Bit of confusion as the LG website say's photos and music only but on Amazon it says HD Divx
Tbh I would feel slightly surprised by this as previous models only play standard divx files

If this is the case it does suggest that the function may be able to be enabled somehow.....

It was in the 2009 models so I don't see why not, although access to the service menu was locked in the middle of 2009 in the newer firmware versions, you could downgrade the firmware to access it, but if LG decide to lock the service menu from the start this year then you wont be able to.

After weighing up the pros and cons and the fact that Argos were offering the 42 PJ350 at “home-delivery only” at £399.99, I ventured into Comet, who were the only local retailers with the TV actually in-stock. They instantly did their “price-match” guarantee and an hour later I was watching the new set for under £400 which I feel is a great result.
<O:p</O:p
The 42PJ350 is every bit as good as my 32PG6000 but bigger. I have Virgin+HD and simply had to set the TV to “Cinema” mode to get what I regard as a stunning picture. No other settings were changed, the rest are just the original default settings. I do feel though that if I was to use the TV through its own freeview I would need to do a bit more tweaking.

I watched Blackburn vs. Arsenal on ESPN HD and the quality was exceptional with no motion blur. Later I tried my daughter’s Avatar blu-ray and the quality was the best I’ve seen on any TV.

The 32PG6000 has now been used in another room to replace a good but cumbersome Philips 28” Digital CRT which I was fortunate to sell on at work for £50. So all in all it’s cost me net £350 which I’m extremely pleased about.
I read the owners thread in great detail for quite a while before buying the 32PG6000 and took on board the basic recommendation that it was an exceptional TV. There isn’t much on the net about this new 42PJ350 but based on my previous experience with LG I have taken the plunge earlier this time. I’m not into techie stuff I just want a TV with a great picture (and sound by the way) and if you are reading this with a view to buying this set I cannot recommend it highly enough and at £399.99 its brilliant value.

Good job! Glad you like it!

Could you do a bit of direct comparison to the PG6000? I wont ask you to go into the greatest detail or anything, but a basic comparison of black levels, colour, motion, image retention, general picture quality and stuff like that would be good :thumbsup:

And of course if you have any questions fire away and I'll try and answer, although I'm still getting to know these new models myself, or more likely I'll be asking you questions to get to know it so I can answer them in future!

It was in the 2009 models so I don't see why not, although access to the service menu was locked in the middle of 2009 in the newer firmware versions, you could downgrade the firmware to access it, but if LG decide to lock the service menu from the start this year then you wont be able to.

Thanks for the info.
An Service menu hack is one thing, downgrading firmware after spending £400 ... is quite another !!!

After weighing up the pros and cons and the fact that Argos were offering the 42 PJ350 at “home-delivery only” at £399.99, I ventured into Comet, who were the only local retailers with the TV actually in-stock. They instantly did their “price-match” guarantee and an hour later I was watching the new set for under £400 which I feel is a great result.
The 42PJ350 is every bit as good as my 32PG6000 but bigger. I have Virgin+HD and simply had to set the TV to “Cinema” mode to get what I regard as a stunning picture. No other settings were changed, the rest are just the original default settings. I do feel though that if I was to use the TV through its own freeview I would need to do a bit more tweaking.

I watched Blackburn vs. Arsenal on ESPN HD and the quality was exceptional with no motion blur. Later I tried my daughter’s Avatar blu-ray and the quality was the best I’ve seen on any TV.

The 32PG6000 has now been used in another room to replace a good but cumbersome Philips 28” Digital CRT which I was fortunate to sell on at work for £50. So all in all it’s cost me net £350 which I’m extremely pleased about.
I read the owners thread in great detail for quite a while before buying the 32PG6000 and took on board the basic recommendation that it was an exceptional TV. There isn’t much on the net about this new 42PJ350 but based on my previous experience with LG I have taken the plunge earlier this time. I’m not into techie stuff I just want a TV with a great picture (and sound by the way) and if you are reading this with a view to buying this set I cannot recommend it highly enough and at £399.99 its brilliant value.

Hi I am looking at this model mainly as a stop-gap until next year. I have noticed a few reviews on the LG's and all are very favourable with the only point that has worried me is that a few have mentioned the Freeview tuners might not be the most sensitive in these 2010 models - so can you tell me if the freeview tuner finds all the channels please and if they are strong and stable.:thumbsup:

Spent this morning researching and reading reviews here so decide to get it. Went to Argos site just now - came up as £399, but when I tried to order it says purchase price is £569.99. Refreshed page and now says price is £569.99.

Looks like the Argos deal was too good to last - also see that Amazon is now £449 :(

Hi I am looking at this model mainly as a stop-gap until next year. I have noticed a few reviews on the LG's and all are very favourable with the only point that has worried me is that a few have mentioned the Freeview tuners might not be the most sensitive in these 2010 models - so can you tell me if the freeview tuner finds all the channels please and if they are strong and stable.:thumbsup:

Hi

All is fine and tuned in OK easily - no different from my previous LG. Got all the channels and not noticed anything untoward. I live near Manchester and we've got a good strong signal here.

As I said before I'm with Virgin+HD and the settings on Cinema give a perfect picture. However, if I was to use the Freeview Tuner I'd have to do some more adjustments as for me the factory defaults aren't as sharp as I would like and the colours are a bit dull IMHO. I think I've been spoiled with Virgin's quality though and haven't needed to play with the freeview settings.

I'd definitely recommend this set to anyone. My 73yr old mother bought a Sony KDL40ex403 1080p on the same day (she wants HD but doesn't want any subscriptions) so having always had Sony's this was ideal. I must admit that the LG picture beats it hands down again IMHO, even though the LG is only 720p.

Hi

All is fine and tuned in OK easily - no different from my previous LG. Got all the channels and not noticed anything untoward. I live near Manchester and we've got a good strong signal here.

As I said before I'm with Virgin+HD and the settings on Cinema give a perfect picture. However, if I was to use the Freeview Tuner I'd have to do some more adjustments as for me the factory defaults aren't as sharp as I would like and the colours are a bit dull IMHO. I think I've been spoiled with Virgin's quality though and haven't needed to play with the freeview settings.

I'd definitely recommend this set to anyone. My 73yr old mother bought a Sony KDL40ex403 1080p on the same day (she wants HD but doesn't want any subscriptions) so having always had Sony's this was ideal. I must admit that the LG picture beats it hands down again IMHO, even though the LG is only 720p.

Thanks for the input. I don't suppose you'd have a few minutes to ram a usb stick in the back and tell us once and for all what it will play ? Avi, mp3, divx or even MKV ?

Thanks in advance ...

Spent this morning researching and reading reviews here so decide to get it. Went to Argos site just now - came up as £399, but when I tried to order it says purchase price is £569.99. Refreshed page and now says price is £569.99.

Looks like the Argos deal was too good to last - also see that Amazon is now £449 :(

Get in quick, Dixons pricematched it a few days ago & it still stands....
LG 42PJ350 42" HD Ready Plasma TV at low prices | Dixons

I'm dithering here......
I'm sure they'll be good deals up to the World Cup.....Hmmnnnnn

Couldn't believe what you were saying so just checked the argos website and there it is £569.99

I am the worst for doing research before I buy and can take ages to buy stuff. My last Lg32PG6000 was bought after reading the comments of Mr Monarch and his friends for ages before plunging in with my cash. I bought this PJ350 on Monday at Comet by showing them a printed copy of the Argos deal at £399.99. They price matched without any hassle. I'd only seen the Argos advert in a weekend newspaper and for me to make my mind up within 24hours truly shocked my good lady.

Finding hardly any comments on the internet I based my assumption on the quality of my LG32, if it was anywhere near as good it would do me. I've not been dissapointed, it's a great TV. On the same day my mother paid £549 for a Sony KDL40ex403 1080p Freeview HD and to be honest I'd still prefer to pay £569 for this LG. I've nothing against Sony as all my audio hifi stuff is theirs, its just me and also my family's views about the two TVs.

Thanks for the input. I don't suppose you'd have a few minutes to ram a usb stick in the back and tell us once and for all what it will play ? Avi, mp3, divx or even MKV ?

Thanks in advance ...

Hi surfer

Would like to help if I could, but I'm at work in my dinner hour at the moment and when I leave at 5 tonight I'm grabbing a suitcase and going away until Sunday, so won't be able to test anything in the near future.
Also in previous posts I've said I'm not great on techie stuff so I don't know what Avi or MKV is or what I could use to test it!! I'll google the internet to see what they are or can you let me know.

Hi surfer

Would like to help if I could, but I'm at work in my dinner hour at the moment and when I leave at 5 tonight I'm grabbing a suitcase and going away until Sunday, so won't be able to test anything in the near future.
Also in previous posts I've said I'm not great on techie stuff so I don't know what Avi or MKV is or what I could use to test it!! I'll google the internet to see what they are or can you let me know.

taken our chat to PM. Check Inbox.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom