The Official LG LW980T Full LED NANO 3DTV Thread Part 6

Discussion in 'LG TVs Forum' started by RottenFox, Dec 31, 2011.

1. RottenFox

RottenFox
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,289
    Continued from here!

2. Crunchie

Crunchie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    Does anyone know yet how this set compares to the new LM9600/LM960T?

3. HaRd2BeAr

HaRd2BeAr
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,491
    Isn't it a bit early to tell?

CES 2012 round the corner. :eek:

4. Crunchie

Crunchie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    LOL - I guess I'm impatient that's all :)

9 days to CES......

5. panman40

panman40
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,010
    I wouldn't expect it until late sept 2012 :laugh:

6. apj30

apj30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    OK I hereby join Outfoxed Ya and NEOSJW as the latest member of the LW980 fanboy club :)

Took delivery of my 55LW980S today and oh my goodness. Words almost fail me in describing how impressed I am with this kit - I hadn't actually seen one in the flesh until today!

Replaces my trusty but now four year old Sony KDL-46x3500 which was showing its age. In terms of wallspace the 980 actually occupies the same area despite the screen being 9" larger due to the Sony's unnecessary metal / glass frames, speakers etc.

The picture was somewhat washed out with the default factory settings so my grateful thanks to NEOSJW for posting his detailed calibration settings. The only tweaks I made were to keep Energy Saving off, TruMotion low and Local Dimming off.

The DLNA interface isn't the best or the fastest so I will continue to use my PS3 for media streaming.

Haven't even got around to playing with the 3D yet; it wasn't really the main purpose of me purchasing this set but looking forward to the results.

This picture taken in artificial light with my iPhone camera doesn't really do it justice Imageshack - img1293wg.jpg and please excuse the hanging wires; I'll be tucking them away into the trunking tomorrow after I get it off the wall one last time.

Picture quality from both Sky HD and Bluray the best I have ever seen although I do find the Home Menu irritating as it seems to go super bright for some reason whenever it's loaded.

Icing on the cake for me is the iPhone application - I don't expect ever to be using either of the delivered remotes.

Build date is December 2011 by the way (in Poland) so doesn't get any more recent than that. I had originally ordered one back in October but cancelled due to all the negativity on this forum. But my favourite supplier (Elektronik, Unterhaltungselektronik günstig | redcoon Deutschland) here in Germany just recently got them in stock and with a 14 day no-quibble money back guarantee I decided I had nothing to lose.

But frankly, even after just one day, I know I will be keeping this set.

Guess this makes a grand total of three satisfied owners on a topic spanning 6 threads and thousands of posts :)

7. roguejackal

roguejackal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    This is good to hear, I am biding my time and will wait for prices to fall in the UK will either be a 650 or a 980 if i can afford it,

I have had a demo of a 650 to see if the wife and I experienced any problems with cross talk etc after the terrible problems we experienced while demoing a Panasonic and was overwhelmed how good the 2D picture was let alone the 3D picture, no eye strain, perfect picture so it will be a passive tv for sure , the only other tv that interests me is a Phillips 21:9 but again prices will drop in the next 4-12 weeks so I will wait.

8. riksteeler

riksteeler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    OK guys, not been on this forum for a loooong time! Probably after all the LW550 and 650 knocking - of which I got really sick of reading about. Anyway, I am more than happy with my 42 550T and was thinking about going larger. I was going to look at a PJ but of course they are all active 3D so that was really a big no no for me. The next option is a 55" passive. I was looking at a 55" 550 or 650 until I spotted the 980T.

I have read all the threads on this TV on AVF and the general concensus was that this TV was a no go (mainly due to the haloing etc and LG "lying" about the non existent 288 zones). However, reading into Thread Part 6, general opinions appear to have changed and most owners appear to be over the moon with the TV! What has changed guys in such a short space of time? Why now the glowing reviews?

If I am gonna spend good money on a 55" set, I need to know if I am doing the right thing :smashin:

9. Ceathan

Ceathan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    @APJ30, Hi, just a quickie, Does this newer build still only have the 96 backlit zones?

10. Smith2004

Smith2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    Four satisfied owners, I'm well pleased with the 47in version!

11. booyoo

booyoo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I also got a 55er year-end and feel any cons are outweighed by the pros.

Living in Switzerland, I got an Oct 2011 build. Paid for it 2399 chf which today equals 1639 pounds - that I find a good value for this set.

For my viewing environment / preferences, viewing point at 336 cm, low lighting behind/around - which I'm used to+like as this replaces my ambilight equipped 32" philips 9830 and having the right settings makes the issues negligible and practically unnoticed.

After a few days of using the set for watching blurays / HD sources and stopping the quest for faults, I find the detail & coloring fantastic and the experience very joyful.

If you are a super videophile and your viewing environment is total darkness there is no LED set that will give you 100% fault free result anyway.

My 2 cents...

Happy New Year to everyone!

12. Ceathan

Ceathan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Booyoo, sounds like youre happy enough, did you shop around and look at other options?
    I am also wanting to buy this unit but due to adverse forum feedback I am also considering the Samsung UE55D8000 LED HD,
    However having also trawled the samsung thread it seems there are as many issues with this model, did you consider anything else.
    Happy New Year from London:smashin:

13. booyoo

booyoo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sure did. Here I'll try to summarize my decision making process, which might help you and others.

Main requirements I had:

1. experience some latest technology
    2. mid-high picture quality
    3. 3d
    4. waf
    5. value

So:

1. For my older Philips set from 2006 I felt its time, and been following the idea of LED + local dimming for a while. Given manufacturers are playing in & out with this technology, its clearly for me a 'hobby' grade for seeing what its about.

2. I only read positives re pic quality for this set, the entire discussion is around black levels which albeit related to pic quality, is very manageable.

And I tell you, already back in end 2005 when my Philips came out, there was a huge thread re haloing issues from the pixel plus processing/interpolation (equivalent to the LG TruMotion), which are huge compared to what has been going on here nowadays.

3. I don't like the active shutter 3d technology at all & find the polarized solution more comfortable and equally enjoyable / immersive. They are both emerging technologies as I see it.

4. Samsung D7/D8 series or LG nano only pass this one I'm afraid...

5. As mentioned price was right for the size.

Obviously considering point 3, it left me with only the LG & Philips options and ruled out the Samsung (current range anyway).

The premium I paid for the LG vs Philips 7606K (~600 pounds) adds for me experiencing the included 'asian gadgetry' ie more active firmware updates, magic remote, skype, more varied smart tv apps, online gizmo's etc ;-) and any other benefit that might come from the local dimming support..

I think one thing LG should do which they can in firmware - hopefully dave is reading this, is to change that the tv does not start up in full blown backlight/brightness/contrast. Its like a dumb reminder to the owner that shows the limitations of LED panel manufacturing, just to find it all settles to your preferred nice settings 10 seconds later..

14. apj30

apj30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hello, yes I think it does have 96 zones.

The most important thing with this TV is to get it calibrated! I closely followed NEOSJW's recommendations as the pre-set configuration are just disastrous and do the set no justice whatsoever. The "intelligent sensor" is nothing of the sort!

You will need separate Day and Night settings. And you will need to set these up for for each viewing mode i.e. Digital TV, Satellite TV and 3DTV so six sets of config in total!

But it's worth it. The design is like nothing I have ever seen, really up there with the Sony Monolithic sets. Hangs on the wall like an oil painting, I recommend getting a very thin bracket - all the ports are at the side so no cabling issues here.

Is it perfect? No of course not. But I knew that when I bought it. The top-range Sony Monolithic model from last year was plagued by a creasing issue and I just don't think the technology is there yet.

But as Booyoo said the pros certainly outweight the cons, despite some small irritation regarding the banding and having to store so many presets my jaw has literally dropped to the floor regarding the quality of HD, iPhone control, passive 3D, internet & wireless capability, app store, etc.

Hopefully LG will remain committed to this model and with few more firmware revisions I think it will be well worth the investment. It will probably be a good six months before we see the new models hitting the shops and to be honest I don't think they look that spectactular.

Regarding the dimming zones, I do have it now turned on and set to Low. Really makes a big difference and there are very few halos. Without it, and if the set is too bright, you will see some light inconsistencies around the borders of the screen. LD set to low completely eliminates that on my model.

15. apj30

apj30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    And just picking up on Riksteeler's point, hopefully we will see Part 6 of this thread evolve into a much more constructive discussion reserved for either owners of the set or those with a genuine interest in purchasing.

And that the moderators will keep any non-constructive negativity to a sensible minimum.

And that the likes of Outfoxed Ya, NEOSJW and even LG Dave will make a reappearance :)

16. Crunchie

Crunchie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    When I owned this set I actually thought that the Standard Preset was pretty much spot-on to my eyes. As readers of this thread may know, I had terrible juddering with news channel's scrolling text whenever I activated TruMotion so I replaced this set with the cheaper 47LW550T. But, good though the 550T is, it's picture quality isn't as "WOW" as the 980T was.

LG's new 2012 flagship model LM9600 (LM960T?) debuts at the CES in 4 days time and, from pictures I've seen, looks like it could turn out to deliver everything that the 980T had promised. The frameless design and the funky stand look excellent to me. Assuming reviews are favourable, and I can demo this set at Currys/Comet/PCWorld etc, then I'll be getting one for sure (unless the screen is very reflective and the TruMotion still juddery.....in that case I'll be auditioning other brands).

17. Ceathan

Ceathan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    @apj30, many thanks for the informative and positive reply, Im not sure if I am dedicated enough to tune six modes and change them around to suit ambient light, Im a plug and play simplton, I am also a perfectionist and wont fork out for unfinished technology I am now going to hang on for CES and see if there is a new better populated backlit Nano on the offing, fingers crossed, if not Im still swithering D8000 or 980T:facepalm:
    Ah well its an nice problem to have for a week or two......just love the prebuy hype:)

18. Craiga1993

Craiga1993

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi :)

After reading through the 6 threads about this tv I've pretty much made up my mind. I was originally set on a Samsung D7000 but even with the haloing problems I think this is the tv for me.

I might still wait until CES and see what the LM9600's are like. I wouldn't really be prepared to spend anymore than the current price of the 980t. The cheapest I could find was £1799. If the 9600's are that price when they come out I would probably buy one and hope that the haloing has been fixed.

I just have a question for you owners, have you been able to get rid of the haloing or is it still there? Has firmware updates changed anything? I just think it's strange that Outfoxed Ya's looks so great and I'm afraid that if I buy one it'll end up a bad one.

Thanks in advance, Craig :D

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  19. booyoo

booyoo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I doubt there is such a thing as "a bad one" related to all the issues discussed here.
    If there is excessive light leaks from the frame edges (mind you its practically impossible to get a perfect symetry at this price range) then its transport damage that warped the casing and should be exchanged.

Other than that its all about people's settings, viewing environment and picture taking variables.

The image manipulation algorithms which can be different for each firmware release can affect all those visible nuances. Unfortunately we never see any release notes, so the 'best' firmware version would be up to us users to identify :smashin:

20. Blueearthling

Blueearthling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have the 47" version and I have been experiencing light and dark bands approx 2" wide from top to bottom and left to right on the screen when watching football and the camera pans across the pitch. (I think its sort of between the players).

Also when watching football in 3D I sometimes get the effect that there are 3 footballs - the ball and a bit of the ball in front of it and behind it.

LG have said it isnt right and were going to send an engineer out to replace the screen and mother board. They have now sent me a credit note thing to give to my retailer to exchange or get credit.

I like this TV for a lot of things and I dont know what I should do.

Any advice appreciated

21. apj30

apj30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    My screen is completely free from light leaks around the edges since I calibrated it.

These appear to be a normal feature of the screen when it set to a high brightness i.e. the Welcome screen and home screens. However following calibration (backlight, contrast & brightness set to suitable values and especially LD set to Low) the leaks disappeared completely, even in a pitch dark room.

Haloing is barely noticeable on my set at all. And I also don't think it's because I have one of the "good" ones - I think it's all down to calibration.

Once you calibrated it according to NEOSJW'S settings on Page 29 of Part 5 of this thread you will see what I mean.

I also thought the factory presets were adequate until I calibrated it and now when I put the presets on it's like the difference between natural daylight and stark fluorescent light.

Definitely NOT a plug and play out-of-the-box TV. But with a bit of patience and the right settings I think you can get the right result.

Fortunately I don't watch much football but it's certainly the only aspect of view that let's the set down. Very bizarre banding phenomenon on the pitch as the camera pans left and right.

Would love to know if this is something LG are aware of and actually doing something about..?

And also if it manifests on the forthcoming models.

22. Blueearthling

Blueearthling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the reply, do you see the same sort of banding on your set? I have tried different settings and it has reduced the problem but once I see it, I can't stop seeing it which ruins the viewing experience.

As LG have given me the credit note, should I try a 2nd 980T or get a refund and go for something else?

Cheers.

23. Ceathan

Ceathan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    @ Blueearthling, lots of questions on your last post,
    Did you have a battle with LG or did they stump up a credit note graciously?
    If its the latter they really are admitting that there is a serious problem with the banding, and amounts to an admission that no amount of tweaking is going to fix the problem otherwise they would send out an engineer to calibrate the set on site.
    Where do you have to return the set to, the dealer or LG and does the credit note allow you to buy what you like or only another LG product?

I really want to buy into the passive 3d world, its the only reason I am still trying to justify this model:rolleyes:
    cheers
    S.

24. Blueearthling

Blueearthling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    When I called LG customer support regarding the problem I had to try a few bits over the phone. After I tried the bits and the problem was still there they said they would get an Engineer out.

I got a call saying that they would have to replace the screen and the mother board and they have put an order in for the parts (this was before Christmas).

I then got a call from LG CS a couple of days back saying they had problems sourcing the spares and it would take a long time to get them.

Due to this they said I could have this cover note that I would have to go back to my retailer with. I dont have the note with me so I cant be specific about the detail but it mentioned credit or exchange (or something along those lines).

LG CS said if I had any problem with the retailer to call them back.

All very helpful.

25. Crunchie

Crunchie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    Sounds to me like they've stopped making this set?! How can they not have spares instantly available for their flagship 2011 model?!

26. Mrb1972

Mrb1972

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +385
    Sounds like banding to me, I assume this happens with local dimming on and goes away with it off

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  27. Craiga1993

Craiga1993

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I know and why does only 4 places online have it in stock. Plus you can only see it on the Currys website if you search for it :rolleyes:

28. Ceathan

Ceathan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
  29. Edwe

Edwe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: