The Official LG LH3000 LCD Thread

Discussion in 'LG TVs Forum' started by Member 300569, Jan 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AJV171

AJV171
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Bought one of these babies from my place of work (PC World) yesterday at £379 + 10% off. I am impressed to say the least, but I do notice, when I was playing MW2 on my PS3 earlier, some of the top and left of the screen is cut off. Where the radar is, some of it is missing, and when playing split screen, where it would say Winning or Losing, it instead reads inning or osing where the screen is cut off. I'm playing at 1080p through HDMI, and at 720p and 1080i, the problem persists. Any suggestions?

2. theronkinator

theronkinator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Try and turn it off and on? Reset the settings on the PS3? I've played MW2 on my PC on our 47LH3000 and it displayed everything on it fine @ 1920*1080.

3. Dibils

Dibils

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    need to change your aspect ratio to "Just Scan" on the TV

nothing to do with resolution

4. mastro59

mastro59
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, I have just bought a 47LH300, and it works.
    There is a little problem when connecting the TV to my AV receiver by the optical autio output of the TV: the sound has good quality, but is very very low (+- half). I have to turn the audio level up manually in the AV receiver.
    Anybody can tell me is is possible to elevate the audio level of the optical output of the TV?
    Audio analogic output by scart works. Also my AV receiver optical input and my optical cable works. They have been tested in a Sat receiver with an optical audio output.
    Thanks

5. espencer86

espencer86
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, long time lurker and now need a quick pointer from someone who may know what i'm doing wrong.

I've had the tv for 6 months but have recently given it to my parents and set it up with their Sky+, DVD-r and Wii.
    Sky+ is in Scart AV2, DVD in Scart AV1 RGB and when i try to put the Wii through the inputs to the left of the screen S-video and L&R speakers there is no wii sounds instead the sound that comes out is from the inbuilt tuner (either DVB or Analog tuner).

I am wondering if it is actually possible to use all three AV inputs at the same time as the input select from on screen doesn't allow you to select 3 AV inputs..... I'm tempted just to buy composite cables for the wii and be done with it but thought i'd ask your expertise first.

6. dawson258

dawson258
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it mite also be worth going into the settings on mw2, and doing your horizontal/vertial margins

7. iRED7i

iRED7i

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    having a look at this youtube video...

YouTube - Fallout 3 @ LG3000

There seems to be a motion blur issue. Thoughts? Or could it be a fault with his TV?

8. Dibils

Dibils

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    wrong model, LG3000 is different to LH3000

this is the LH thread and that video is from LG model

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  9. iRED7i

iRED7i

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    oh right, i though he forgot to mention the LH and just put the brand LG and 3000. bit of a wired video to ne honest.

Im going to order this TV is the 37" version. i hear about the sound problems but i'm going to be hooking up to a sony optical surround sound. Amazon are going them for £450, i think it's a pretty good price. :)

10. mighty35

mighty35
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all of you guys,

I read all 65 pages believe it or not. I need to buy new LCD to change my old 32inches Vivax. LH3000 is what I'm interested the most. I have doubt between 37" and 42" because price difference is 40EUR. However, most probaby 37" will fit the best in my room.

So, I have big question to all of you and I wanna get frank responses.

Should I buy 37LH3000???

My biggest concern is problem with speakers and noise which most of you encountered. Since you mentioned it's hardware fault I assume every model has it. All of you had same noise even after you change you LH3000 in store for new set.

Does all of you have that problem?

To repeat my question

Should I buy this model because of this hardware fault?
    That's my sole concern

btw, I'm from Serbia and exuse me if I made some errors since English is not my mother tongue

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  11. Dokko

Dokko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    How is this set for gaming? Read the Which review which suggests it's pretty poor especially for gaming; though I take what they say with a pinch of salt and I'd much rather ask owners of their honest opinions.

12. Monarch

Monarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,143
    At this price there isn’t really much better, I don’t know the prices off the top of my head but you can basically expect the equivalent Sonys and Samsungs to have better black levels, but probably worse input lag (maybe), and quite possibly worse motion handling, especially smearing problems in dark areas. The equivalent Panasonics normally share similar pros and cons with the LGs as well, other brands vary between the two depending on what technology they use (which quite often changes between models).

I would ignore everything Which? say to be honest, their testing methods have regularly been criticised and questioned by the qualified experts on here, and they’ve been very vague in explaining them. Coming from an owner of a different TV they tested the “recommended settings” for the set in question are also the opposite of what any viewer would want from a TV.

Generally though, the LG has good motion handling for an LCD, and low input lag (provided the extra processing stuff is turned off).

13. Dokko

Dokko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Thanks for the quick reply; is this the owners perspective as well (this thread) as 65 pages is a lot to go through.

Just been up to Comet, got it on reserve there for £360, the set itself looks amazing, compared to the Toshiba Rezga in the same price and spec bracket it stood out, even next to the new Samsung it held its own.

Unfortunately i couldn't test the sound but the picture was the best out of the lot on the row. It was on component 720p, but looked great. Only thing that put me off is the gaming lag comment from Which? You know what these purchases are like; hear a thousand good things and you are ready to buy, see one bad comment in a review and the deal is off.

The set is going to be a second set for the bedroom, it's main input is a PS3 for DVD/BR and light gaming when the misses has the main set downstairs watching rubbish makeover crud.

14. Monarch

Monarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,143
    Just to make clear I'm not an owner, but I do know someone who owns one (and uses it for gaming) so I'm commenting from that, as well as what I've picked up from the majority of the owners on here. Anyway, the lag is minimal on the LH3000 I'm sure, if you stick it in game mode and make sure all the extra processing bits and bobs are off then you should be sure of that.

15. Mccoy55

Mccoy55
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I have just bought one of these tvs. When I bought it the sales man tried to sell me a scart lead (as i use sky+) saying it would enhance the picture to near hd quality as it had a chip that tidy up the signal, he wanted £50 for it. I didnt buy it, but I noticed that the tv does not seem to have such a good picture as my old tv. I have not changed the settings from factory, it seems to be grainey. I am using the original scart from sky,any advise on the best settings? or leads? Thanks in advance.

16. Monarch

Monarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,143
    A change in SCART cable might make it a bit better, I'm not sure how good the ones supplied by sky normally are, but I'd guess that they are quite cheap. You don't need to spend £50 on one though I don't think, but you'd need to get someone else's advice on that as I don't know anything about it really.

17. Sockatume

Sockatume
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Some newbie questions, which I'm sure the manual could clear up if it didn't try to cover ever LG released in the past year:

1) What range of options are available in Expert mode? Is there full white balance for grey scale, and other colour management, like on the Samsung 5-series, or is it more limited, like on the Samsung 4-series?

2) Is there automatic backlight dimming, and can it be disabled?

3) What's the viewing angle, contrast, and black level like? I hear it has an IPS panel.

4) What's the input lag like? I hear low.

Thanks in advance!

18. Sockatume

Sockatume
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Really, as long as the lead's properly made and well-shielded, I don't think there's much more you can do with it. Certainly I can't imagine a chip being anything but voodoo, nothing's going to make those 576 interlaced lines carry 720 progressive lines worth of detail. Spend £15 on a good one with a nice, substantial cable and look after it.

Your best bet is to turn down the sharpness and disable edge enhancement. I'm on Virgin and doing that got rid a of a lot of the "grainy" look you're describing. It's a softer picture as a result, but that's to be expected with such a low-resolution signal spread over so many pixels. It's much nicer in the long run.

19. Monarch

Monarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,143
    1) From memory it’s a 10 point greyscale calibration system, and a 2D CMS, I’m not sure how that compared to the Samsungs, I’d imagine it compares well though.

2) Everything can be disabled as far as I’m aware, I don’t know of any dimming system which can’t be.

3) Viewing angle could be better, but isn’t the worst on an LCD TV, black levels aren’t as good as the Samsungs or Sony which is due to the IPS based panel, but motion handling and input lag is generally lower.

4) Input lag is low, keep it in game mode when gaming and make sure everything like dynamic colour/contrast is turned off though.

20. mighty35

mighty35
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi to all of you guys,

I read all 65 pages believe it or not. I need to buy new LCD to change my old 32inches Vivax. LH3000 is what I'm interested the most. I have doubt between 37" and 42" because price difference is 40EUR. However, most probaby 37" will fit the best in my room.

So, I have big question to all of you and I wanna get frank responses.

Should I buy 37LH3000???

My biggest concern is problem with speakers and noise which most of you encountered. Since you mentioned it's hardware fault I assume every model has it. All of you had same noise even after you change you LH3000 in store for new set.

Does all of you have that problem?

21. Sockatume

Sockatume
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Sounds great, especially the 10-point greyscale. I think the Samsung only does two-point and some tweaking via gamma. I think I might be willing to sacrifice some black level for better motion and game response. Is the black level quantified anywhere?

22. IcemanDUB

IcemanDUB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mighty 35.

I recently purchased the 42"version and i have no problems with noise from the backlight or the speakers, had to play around with sharpness etc as the picture looked grainy and the speakers are not great sounding but otherwise its a great value lcd.
    Mine was manufactured last month so maby they fixed the problem?
    No guarantess though mate.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  23. Monarch

Monarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,143
    You might want to get it checked that it’s 10 point, I might have made that up, although I’m sure I remember reading that it does

24. IcemanDUB

IcemanDUB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,
    I have an LG surround sound system DVD Player, i have read in some previous threads that labelling HDMI channels (HD-DVD-BlueRay etc) changes certain settings for that channel, should i just have dvd player labelled as dvd or hd-dvd as its upscaling, i have no idea, Thanks.

25. chantico

chantico
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just bought the lh3000 i wanted to check what panel it was but cant acess service menu 3.55 firmware is there another way i can check the panel i think i may have a AUO panel as the manufactured date says febuary 2010 also if any1 could recommend some settings for the ps3 thanks

26. Dibils

Dibils

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    yes there is a 10 point

anyone wanna give me setting for these colour management stuff? i would appreciate it

27. chantico

chantico
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just had to return my LH3000 as the freeview stopped working i can either get another one with the auo panel which im unsure of as i play games on the ps3 more than watch blu ray and will be using it as a monitor, or they offered me the samsung LE32B554M2WXXU for the same price but i cant find any reviews on the samsung so i dont know which is best since the LG changed to auo panels any help is greatly appreciated

28. iRED7i

iRED7i

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    i think i just made a BIIIG mistake, the LG panels are now using AUO, not IPS anymore, so NO good for gaming, input lag and motion blur. :(

29. thunderb0lt

thunderb0lt
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, I'm a newbie when it comes to TVs. I wanted to buy this the 32inch LH3000 for all round performance (Blu ray, dvd, xbox360 freeview) this seemed like the one for me.

The last ferw posts are saying that it no longer comes with IPS (I'm not really sure what this is but from what I understand IPS is better than AUO), so, is it really worthwhile me getting this. I was going to buy from Amazon. If not, what are the alternatives for this price range..

Thanks

30. Monarch

Monarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,143
    The alternatives in the price range mostly use AUO panels as well, even with the panel change this is as good as anything else you’ll get for the money as an all round performer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.