The Official LG LD690 LCD Thread

Some people use MAC address filtering on their routers that only allows specified addresses to connect to the router.

The MAC address and firmware version can be found by pressing Menu and then the red button.

David

Thanks David, thats exactly why I need it. Will try your suggestion later.

Does that mean I am at risk in some way?

Not neccesarily. If you are on a wired network and there is no means of anyone connecting to the network without your permission then you wont really need it but if you are on a wireless network it can add an extra level of security to the WPA encryption that everyone should be using already.

David

Well I finally decided to buy a 47LD690, purchased from my nearest Richer Sounds store yesterday tea-time, £659 including 5 year guarantee.

Just set it all up this morning and moved my heavyweight Toshiba 36 inch CRT to another room.
The thing was very heavy.

Haven't really adjusted or checked out the different settings yet, freeview channels are all programmed in and picture quality is excellent. I have a very good Panasonic DVD/VCR combi recorder that is HDMI compatible, picture excellent also though only tried one of my son's old video tapes at the moment. :)

Standard SKY looks good too, so doubt I will upgrade to SKY HD, my current box and dish are fairly new so that probably helps.

Really glad I chose the 47 inch as it fits nicely into a corner with a new stand I bought from NEXT.
The depth of my Toshiba took up a lot of room, so even with the large screen size of the LG it doesn't look too big which I am kind of relieved about.

Last edited:
Well I finally decided to buy an 47LD690, purchased from my nearest Richer Sounds store yesterday tea-time, £659 including 5 year guarantee.

Just set it all up this morning and moved my heavyweight Toshiba 36 inch CRT to another room.
The thing was very heavy.

Haven't really adjusted or checked out the different settings yet, freeview channels are all programmed in and picture quality is excellent. I have a very good Panasonic DVD/VCR combi recorder that is HDMI compatible, picture excellent also though only tried one of my son's old video tapes at the moment. :)

Standard SKY looks good too, so doubt I will upgrade to SKY HD, my current box and dish are fairly new so that probably helps.

Really glad I chose the 47 inch as it fits niceley into a corner with a new stand I bought from NEXT.
The depth of my Toshiba took up a lot of room, so even with the large screen size of the LG it doesn't look too big which I am kind of relieved about.

This is the exact one that's stayed on my shortlist the longest ;)
Nice to know that the Standard SKY seems acceptable :thumbsup:

This is the exact one that's stayed on my shortlist the longest ;)
Nice to know that the Standard SKY seems acceptable :thumbsup:

I was concerned it wouldn't be good enough but first impressions are positive. I pay enough each month for 2 SKY boxes as it is.

I was concerned it wouldn't be good enough but first impressions are positive. I pay enough each month for 2 SKY boxes as it is.

Just over a year ago I cancelled my sky and got myself a HUMAX FREESAT HD box, it's now paid for itself.

As I can select output as 720p or 1080i ( on SD channels) I've always wondered how it would compare to the TV's scaling....

Anyone know how to (or indeed whether the LG will) display subtitle streams embedded in the mkv container.
Subtitles show OK using VLC/Windows and XBMC direct to TV (hooray)
So far I have only managed to display hard subs on this TV.

Model: 47LD690-ZB
Software: 03.20.72

Subtitle stream info:
(MKVInfo) | + Track number: 3
(MKVInfo) | + Track UID: 2864556437
(MKVInfo) | + Track type: subtitles
(MKVInfo) | + Enabled: 1
(MKVInfo) | + Default flag: 1
(MKVInfo) | + Forced flag: 0
(MKVInfo) | + Lacing flag: 0
(MKVInfo) | + MinCache: 0
(MKVInfo) | + Timecode scale: 1
(MKVInfo) | + Max BlockAddition ID: 0
(MKVInfo) | + Codec ID: S_TEXT/UTF8
(MKVInfo) | + Codec decode all: 1
(MKVInfo) | + Language: eng
(MKVInfo) | + Name: English

I bought this TV last week and think it is fantastic. At the moment, I have the TV cabled back from the LAN socket to the BT Hub, with the PC running off the same hub. I can stream everything OK from the PC, but I have difficulty when trying to stream 1080P demos off the PC. It starts off OK, then 5 seconds in, it freezes with the loading icon, then plays for 2 seconds, the sticks on the loading icon.
Any ideas ? Wondering if the LAN sockets is 10/100 and cannot cope with streaming 1080P ?
I have used PS3 media Server, TVersity and the Nero software and it all has the same problem ?

At the moment, I have the TV cabled back from the LAN socket to the BT Hub, with the PC running off the same hub. I can stream everything OK from the PC, but I have difficulty when trying to stream 1080P demos off the PC. It starts off OK, then 5 seconds in, it freezes with the loading icon, then plays for 2 seconds, the sticks on the loading icon.
Any ideas ? Wondering if the LAN sockets is 10/100 and cannot cope with streaming 1080P ?
I have used PS3 media Server, TVersity and the Nero software and it all has the same problem ?
I'm serving 1080p to mine with no problem and network loading at 100 Mb is negligible. I would suspect conflicting activity on the server PC. Make sure it isn't virus scanning, windows updating or switching to low power while serving. You might wish to give priority to 'background services' in System Properties > Performance Options > Advanced. I have had best results with Twonky.
AMcK

Just got the 32in version of the LD LD690 and very pleased with it but I seem to be having a few problems with lip sync when watching Sky SD. Blue Ray seemed fine and very good quality. PS3 also seemed fine.

Anyone else had the same problem or got any ideas of how to handle it?

Thanks

I'm serving 1080p to mine with no problem and network loading at 100 Mb is negligible. I would suspect conflicting activity on the server PC. Make sure it isn't virus scanning, windows updating or switching to low power while serving. You might wish to give priority to 'background services' in System Properties > Performance Options > Advanced. I have had best results with Twonky.
AMcK

Hi, got a .mkv file working 1080p OK. Cant seem to stream a mpeg-ts file 1080p without it stopping with a 'loading' icon appearing every few seconds.
I have done what you said with the processing etc. All seems OK ?? Have you had any success streaming this kind of file ?

Just got the 32in version of the LD LD690 and very pleased with it but I seem to be having a few problems with lip sync when watching Sky SD. Blue Ray seemed fine and very good quality. PS3 also seemed fine.

Anyone else had the same problem or got any ideas of how to handle it?
Regrettably this TV has no audio stream delay adjustment, so unless the originating device has a delay adjustment (eg Humax) you are stuck with it.

Hi, just wondered if someone who has recently bought a 47ld690 could find time to post how it was wrapped + boxed when you unpacked it - thanks, just got one and am a little suspicious it has already been out of the box. Appreciate you taking the time.

I've had this TV for 4 months now and the worst thing about it is the lip-synching on the freeview channels, the Freeview HD channels don't seem to suffer however so this is not as bad as it could have been but still annoying.

Hi, just wondered if someone who has recently bought a 47ld690 could find time to post how it was wrapped + boxed when you unpacked it - thanks, just got one and am a little suspicious it has already been out of the box. Appreciate you taking the time.

big LG box with footballers bursting out the set

polystyrene packaging top and bottom in each corner, extra piece in one middle, remote/cables booklets etc all bagged and tagged neatly into the polystyrene

tv in that soft white foamy bubbly stuff

then on the tv itself stickers advertising the features in 2 corners

as far as i can remember - both mine were like this, and the second had two big finger prints on the screen ! so quality of packaging no guarantee of the contents :thumbsdow

AWESOME tv though, just paid an extra £120 for a 47" anti-glare tv screen protector, to avoid any worries with the 2 yr old damaging it :nono:

I've had this TV for 4 months now and the worst thing about it is the lip-synching on the freeview channels, the Freeview HD channels don't seem to suffer however so this is not as bad as it could have been but still annoying.

ive had this at various times, on hd films via usb too, especially if ive paused or rewind/FFwd them

ive found cycling through the picture presets using the AV MODE orange circle button at the top of the remote control, usually cures it 9 times out of 10 for me as it cuts out the audio as it changes the presets :smashin:

Last edited:
First time poster. Apologies if this issue has been dealt with previously.

Just bought 32ld690 and was wondering if anyone had any experience using it with a USB dongle.

My questions are
1. Do you have to use an LG dongle which I think is very expensive or can a cheaper type be used. If so any recommendations?

2. What is the streaming quality using a USB dongle?

Many thanks.

Last edited:
Your problem with a different WiFi dongle is going to be drivers. The TV is not a PC running Windows, it probably has Linux under the hood but there is no access to it (that I know of) to fiddle with anything and install any required software to support your dongle (and how many are supported in Linux anyway?).

Streaming over WiFi isn't really to be recommended unless you are sure nobody else is going to need any bandwidth at the same time, and that includes your neighbours. I use HomePlugAV power line networking.

Just bought 32ld690 and was wondering if anyone had any experience using it with a USB dongle.

My questions are
1. Do you have to use an LG dongle which I think is very expensive or can a cheaper type be used. If so any recommendations?

Many thanks.

1, Any USB 2.0 flash memory stick\dongle can be used, I use Sandisk & generic without fault.

I was talking about networking devices and thanks for the replies.

Another question.

Can I play files on an NTFS formatted hard drive or is it restricted to FAT32?

I'd like to play mkv files and some of those are too big for the FAT32 format. Is there a restriction on the size of files that can be played?

Thanks.

My questions are

Many thanks.

1. experience with other linux WiFi dongles e.g. Logik Internet radio is that if you can work out which chipset is in LG's dongle then any other dongle with same chipset will work.

2. experience with streaming video at 802.11g (54Mbs) and 802.11n (300Mbs) is don't rely on it. If you have to just drill holes in the wall and thread some Cat6 cable round the house.

AMcK

I was talking about networking devices and thanks for the replies.

Another question.

Can I play files on an NTFS formatted hard drive or is it restricted to FAT32?

I'd like to play mkv files and some of those are too big for the FAT32 format. Is there a restriction on the size of files that can be played?

Thanks.

I agree that the Fat32 restriction by Humax is a pain.
I think the LD690 allows NTFS USB and HD
mkvmerge gui has a max size file splitter function.
AMcK

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom