The Office is 20 today

LexDiamond

Active Member
I just saw on BBC website that it aired exactly 20 years ago today.


This is probably my favourite tv show and I never watched it when it first aired but have watched it regularly ever since and it never gets old. I think some of the things they did in this show were genuine innovations and it’s influence has been vast.

My favourite thing about this show is how they made the characters interact with the camera. That whole ‘I know I’m being filmed’ aspect was both funny and clever. I was watching modern family for the first time earlier this year and it was great to see how they used that very thing throughout the show and how it added to the entertainment. Thinking about it 20 years ago, it was an incredible thing that they did with this show.
 

rustybin

Distinguished Member
One of the best comedies in the history of mankind, if not the best. I've watched it through countless times.

And it wouldn't get made today, at least by the BBC - which is very sad.
 

LexDiamond

Active Member
I have to agree. It’s a sad state of affairs with the way this has gone and how some shows might never get made if it was today. There is some great stuff around today too but it just seems ridiculous that political correctness would stop ground breaking tv from being made.

In this case part of the genius of this show was exactly that it made fun of Brent and it was the character sometimes that I laughed at rather than the joke. The Asian guy scene was just comic genius.
 

WarHog

Member
Love The Office.

Todays comedy just isn't the same. I can't name a single comedy programme/series in the last 12 months that is/was funny. Gone are the days of unique comedies such as The Office, League of Gentlemen, Phoenix Nights etc.
 

SyStemDeMoN

Well-known Member
Love The Office.

Todays comedy just isn't the same. I can't name a single comedy programme/series in the last 12 months that is/was funny. Gone are the days of unique comedies such as The Office, League of Gentlemen, Phoenix Nights etc.
Not even After life ? Rick and Morty ?
True most of the funniest stuff I find is now animated though
 

richp007

Distinguished Member
You simply can't get away these days with some of what you need to get away with. I even saw an episode of Only Fools and Horses not so long back, and there was one scene in the episode I thought they'd never get away with now.

Even some of the jokes in one of my favourites of more recent years Phoenix Nights, wouldn't be acceptable.

That Half-a-Shilling song from Tim Healy, "Send the buggers back", there'd be absolute carnage if they put that out now. Ofcom would have to open new premises :laugh:
 

WarHog

Member
Not even After life ? Rick and Morty ?
True most of the funniest stuff I find is now animated though
After Life is very good, but to me it's 'nice' good, not hilariously funny good.

I'll accept Curb Your Enthusiasm is still very very good, but that's American and a different type of humour.
 

Eliminator

Active Member
The Office at 20 - that makes me feel old 😣

Why do people think it wouldn't be made today though? Brent was odious of course, but just as so then as now surely?
 

LexDiamond

Active Member
Get. Their. Attention.

I reckon there's worse in other episodes.

'The other what?'

All sublime though.

‘The other what’ was one of my favourite moments of the show. It highlighted exactly why the creators had got it spot on in portraying Brent.
 

domtheone

Distinguished Member
One day we’ll care less about what the 10% think, and think more about the other 90%.

But aye, probably wouldn't be made today.

Awesome TV series. The Office Xmas specials were incredible.
 

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom