The Offer (Paramount+) Premiere TV Show Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Forgot about this...my brother has seen it and told me to watch it. Thanks for the review, deffo on the list to watch asap.

The Godfather trilogy of films are my favourite, second only to It's a Wonderful Life. I hope it doesn't ruin my fondness for them...

I'll add this to my watch list, cheers @Casimir Harlow .

7 episodes in and it’s an absolutely blast so far - and so much fun. I think it smartly opts not to strive to be ‘prestige’ and solemnly reverent to the whole thing , instead opting to have fun with the whole premise by almost being a caper of sorts.

Making Ruddy into some sort of maverick badass is clearly hugely self serving but ensures the narrative has some punch but the supporting cast does it for me… surprisingly liked Fogler as Coppola and I think Goode and Gorman seem to be having the time of their lives as Evans & Bludhorn...

I‘m sure I’ll watch ‘better‘ TV this year but I doubt it’ll near as enjoyable as this.

This was excellent. The cast were perfect as well. Loved how the relationship between Coppola & Puzo was portrayed. And Miles Teller and Juno Temple were also brilliant.

Binge Watched 5 episodes and love it, can't wait to see the next one , Best show of the year so far for me 9/10

This starts off ok and fades massively towards the end.

We all know how successful The Godfather was, hence the lack of dramatic tension once the production is established.

The highlight was the guy playing Bob Evans

I enjoyed this until i began noticing the injection of "the message" so much so, it got really distracting..
Not a single episode without female characters "educating" us how a skirt is limiting, how you are not allowed to open the door for a woman, how a woman does not work UNDER/FOR a man,but WITH a man,and on and on and on.. This is supposed to take place in 1970+, not 2022..

And of course, the "piece de resistance", according to this show, there would be no Godfather were it not for Bettye... I call bullcrap...

The old saying "Ignorance is bliss" is really true sometimes.. I wish i didn't notice these things, but when it gets shoved this hard in your face, i gets distracting from the story..

Also Dan Fogler and his whiny over the top "performance" is so miscast as Coppola..

I agree with previous comment though, the guy playing Evans was phenomenal,and he was the ONLY reason i kept watching even though i had to fast forward past most of Juno Temples scenes.

I really enjoyed it, but it’s a piece of fiction.

I enjoyed this until i began noticing the injection of "the message" so much so, it got really distracting..
Not a single episode without female characters "educating" us how a skirt is limiting, how you are not allowed to open the door for a woman, how a woman does not work UNDER/FOR a man,but WITH a man,and on and on and on.. This is supposed to take place in 1970+, not 2022..

And of course, the "piece de resistance", according to this show, there would be no Godfather were it not for Bettye... I call bullcrap...

The old saying "Ignorance is bliss" is really true sometimes.. I wish i didn't notice these things, but when it gets shoved this hard in your face, i gets distracting from the story..

Also Dan Fogler and his whiny over the top "performance" is so miscast as Coppola..

I agree with previous comment though, the guy playing Evans was phenomenal,and he was the ONLY reason i kept watching even though i had to fast forward past most of Juno Temples scenes.

The real life Betty did go on to be a successful agent, so she obviously knows her stuff. But who knows how much was true to real life and how much was added for "diversity" sake. It's just a fact of Hollywood that we have to endure added woke stuff.

I thought the guy playing Coppola looked almost identical to the real FFC. No comments on his performance

The real life Betty did go on to be a successful agent, so she obviously knows her stuff. But who knows how much was true to real life and how much was added for "diversity" sake. It's just a fact of Hollywood that we have to endure added woke stuff.

I thought the guy playing Coppola looked almost identical to the real FFC. No comments on his performance
I know she became an agent, but the scenes of her going to see Joe Colombo was pure fiction, and only added so a woman could save the day, nothing else. Same with the golf cart scene, only added to lecture the audience. And i don't know about you, but i don't want to be lectured when watching a tv show, i want to be entertained.

And no, we don't have to endure anything, we can chose if we want to watch this crap, i made a choice to finish it only because i enjoyed the Bob Evans performance. Make no mistake, i mostly elect NOT to watch anything with injected modern sensibilities,which means i watch fewer and fewer new films and shows, but that is OK because we have films like The Godfather!

Started watching this yesterday and I'm quite enjoying it. No idea about the factuality, but it comes over as being a weird combination of Mad Men crossed with Once Upon A Time in Hollywood.

Enjoyed this immensely. Last episode was a little dull, but did close everything off neatly so no real gripes. Very enjoyable.

Starts off slow but clicks into gear and really enjoyed it, Ribisi broke the mold as mob boss Joe Columbo!

Watched it all now and thoroughly enjoyed it, even if it did start to run out of steam. No idea how much of it was fiction (I suspect a lot) but I loved the way to put famous Godfather quotes and events into the show. Matthew Goode was fantastic as was Ribisi. I don't usually like Miles Teller, but here he was superb...in fact all the cast were great and really helped to sell the idea of this being the 70s, but I do agree that there was some modern "messaging" added in which probably wasn't there in the 70s.

I can't wait to watch the Godfather again !

^ I think I read somewhere Al Ruddy's book that it's based on was only about 20% true, the rest was heavily embellished or completely made up. In the show he doesn't seem like the kind of guy that'd ever let the truth get in the way of what he wants to do, so I find that percentage pretty believable

Can’t understand how this be a ‘7’, with almost every Marvel drivel getting at least an 8… a solid 9 in my book, required viewing for any film buff, great performances all around, especially from supporting cast.

Yep a hugely enjoyable show and definitely deserves more than a 7, Matthew Goode was particularly superb. I recommend Feud: Bette and Joan if you want to watch a another great show which also features loads of fictionalised Hollywood movie-making goodness.

Wasn't sold on the first episode but by the end it became the best thing I've seen all year.
That’s good to know.

Watched the first episode last night and struggled with it a bit, seemed really slow.

Will stick with it.

I just got round to watching this on the strength of recommendations from my daughter’s partner and this thread and 7 episodes in I'm enjoying it immensely.
Watching via Paramount+

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom