1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The NW-HD5 won't play gapless!!??

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by johann1979, Jun 8, 2005.

1. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is 4am and I have been sitting in front of the computer for 8 hours - I am absolutely livid with Sony. I've just recorded a cd that is smoothly mixed in and every time it ticks over from one track to another it leaves a noticable gap. I would never have bought the player if I knew it was so backwards. My vaio pocket had the same problem, but a firmware fix sorted it out 2 months later - I assumed Sony would have learnt a lesson and that all new players would have gapless playback as standard, but I was so wrong. Has anybody experienced the same problem? Is there at all anything I can do?

And there I was ranting about the Toshiba that doesn't have gapless playback!!!! Thanks guys... :mad:

2. caaralagueva

caaralagueva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have quite a few albums in which the songs run into each other and I've just tested all of these on my NW-HD5 after reading your thread and they all play without gaps. I've recorded them in ATRAC+ 256kpbs. Are you sure you've got ATRAC selected as your default to record when burning a CD? I don't think the NW-HD5 can play gapless mp3s, but I confirm it can definitely play gapless ATRAC files.

3. caaralagueva

caaralagueva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    p.s. go to bed johann!! i know you're in love with your new toy but 4am!!! The reason I'm still up is because it's only 11:30pm in my time zone!

maybe not so in love with your new toy, I just saw your post on the other thread!

4. sxc

sxc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yes - when ripping the CD, make sure it is ripping in Atrac format and I think you'll find it is gapless.

If you load in existing MP3s, they will not play gapless, but as I understand it, no other MP3 player will play MP3s gapless except Rio players.

5. joe2snj

joe2snj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Got my HD5 and im really happy with it.. Rip all your cds into atrac at around 256 bit rate and you will have gapless play back. The good thing about atrac aswell is that the you can chane the EQ settings to suit the type of music.

Ive a fair bit of Hed Kandi on mine and tweaking the settings makes a huge difference IMO. :cool:

6. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right guys, some of the most important cd's in question are already on my computer in mp3 format - as they were promotional and sometimes passed on to friends, I don't have the actual cd anymore - do I just go and convert them in Atrac 256kbps then?

My vaio pocket can play the same sequence of files without any noticable gap at all! So it is definitely not just the Rio. I'll do that now and report back - your help is so much appreciated!! :)

7. sxc

sxc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Unfortunately I don't think that will work, assuming that HD5 works the same as Minidisc. I think you will need to get the original CDs back. If I had a Ministry of Sound or similar set of MP3s, MD always would leave the gap there after converting to atrac.

8. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't help but feel so disappointed - I gave my vaio pocket away thinking that I am *upgrading* to something better but this HD5 has just given me one headache after the other. Let's suppose I get the cd's back, what do I do then? Do I just put them directly on the player in atrac format? thanks guys...

9. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
  10. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sorry to be a pain, but can somebody explain why I would have to get the cd's back? I just tried converting it to Atrac 256 and the gap is even more noticable now! How would the player respond differently to the files if I rip them from a cd again?

I really don't mean to sound stupid but I just feel so much more confused, wouldn't I end up with exactely the same set of files if I rip the cd all over?

11. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    Johann I think it is because they being converted from MP3. As McFarfs says, generally MP3's do not play gapless. If you convert to Atrac from the original CD, it should solve the issue.

12. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MrTbag, I'm burning the files back to a cd now (for testing purposes) in just a normal audio cd format, do you think that would work? I will of course get the original back later, so you guys have all done this and you are sure it will play without any gaps? At this point it is leaving a gap only a fraction of a second - but it is enough to ruin the mixed cd :( This is my punishment for ranting on about the Toshiba - you know, it has been slated so many times but the Vaio Pocket plays gapless between the same set of mp3's - and I am convinced the sound was purer with *NO* hiss at all, ever - and there I was thinking I was upgrading.. :confused: :)

I've made an important discovery just there - see, I can't even get it to play gapless in SonicStage, nevermind the player - but SonicStage 2.3 played the same set of files without gaps - is it just me or are you guys also unhappy with SonicStage 3.1?

13. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,852
    That would be my gut feeling on this as well.

14. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aaaaaw guys I can't thank you enough! It does work!! Yeah!!! I was so angry I nearly didn't want my cute new player anymore! As I only use my player for funky house (it's all I get time to listen to) gapless playback is a TOP priority!! he he! :)

15. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    What did you do to make it work? did u rip it from the original CD in atrac?

16. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well, for testing purposes I burnt the mp3's back to a cd in normal audio format. I then tested it quickly by listening to the joints and it was smooth - then ripped it back to my library, but storing them in Atrac 132kbps - it ticked over smoothly! Makes all the difference! At least it can play gapless...

Now I'm just still struggling with SonicStage... Sony is trying every trick in the book to make you use their Atrac compression (stopping you from playing MP3's back directly from the device, equalizers not working with MP3's - yet, they are making it nearly impossible to use Atrac in some circumstances - let me explain - I have ticked the box 'Specified Bit Rate Transfer Mode' to Atrac 132kbps and it still transfers some files directly to the device without converison.

Even after right clicking on the file, converting it manually and then selecting the Atrac file under File Info - it still copies the MP3. It seems as if when SonicStage first performed one action, it will repeat that action until the actual file is deleted and imported again. Why so longwinded? The bottom line is, I would very much prefer my whole collection sit on my player in Atrac format and I know the people at Sony would too - but SonicStage is just not co-operating... oh yeah, and thank you so much mcfarfs for dealing with my problem :)

17. wilto

wilto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    its all that pink floyd your listening to isn't it johann.

18. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hehe - no my taste isn't really that refined - I love rare funky and tech house compilations...

19. exalnt

exalnt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you can covert the MP3 to ATRAC without the original CD!!!!

In sonic stage, highlight the tracks in your library that you want as ATRAC and go to

Tools>Convert Format and any MP3 files should come up and be able to be transferred... this wont work for WMAs tho.

This is also handy if you have a copy protected CD, rip it as a 320kb MP3 in Media Player 10 then convert the MP3's to ATRAC3plus 256kb as described above and then sonic stage will let you import them.