The Nostalgia/Retro thread!

Azlan82

Standard Member
Anybody else love oldish stuff from their youth? Im huge on 80's toys and 80's/90's video games, so I thought I would throw up a nostalgia thread for people to join in with, maybe bring back some memories... I'll start.....

Boglins

Boglins.png

I had two of these as a kid never realised there were so many different variations....

Boglins

Also loved this, BraveStarr...didnt have many toys but I loved the cartoon.

Bravestarr-Toys.jpg

rousetafarian

Oddly enough I was reminiscing today about old toys of mine from the mid 70's and in particular a steel Tonka Fire Engine FXR-101. Out of curiosity I had a mooch on eBay and they are selling for £50.00+, time to raid the folk's attic for my mint-ish one :)

Koeman2021

Banned
Right on the money for me. Big fan of boglins when I was little

Bravestarr was decent as well, I only had toys never really watched the show.

Other stuff I played with was Thundercats, masters of the universe, defenders of the earth, manta force, mask, gi Joe...

I have quite a range of retro games too,in fact I've just been moving them inside as my man cave seems to be letting in some damp in this weather.

Currently have NES, SNES and N64 setup in my back lounge.

addyb

Distinguished Member

It is the 16th century. From all over Europe great s***ps sale west to conquer the new world, the Americas. These men eager to seek their fortune, to find new adventures in new lands. They long to cross uncharted seas and discover unknown countries. To find secret gold on a mountain trail high in the Andes. They dream of following the path of the setting sun that leads to Eldorado, and the Mysterious Cities Of Gold.

Children of the Sun, see your time has just begun,
Searching for your way through Adventures every day.

Every day and night with the condor in flight
With all your friends in tow we search for the Cities of Gold

CHORUS:
(Ahhhh-ah-ah-ah) Wishing for the Cities of Gold
(Ahhh-ah-ah-ah) Someday we will find the Cities of Gold!

(Doo doo doo do doo - Ahh-ah-ah - Doo doo doo do doo) Cities of Gold

Children of the Sun, someday soon you're gonna find
That your destiny holds the secret, holds the key

CHORUS

(Doo doo doo do doo - Ahh-ah-ah)
(Doo doo doo do doo) Cities of Gold

(Doo doo doo do doo) Cities of Gold
(Ahhh-ah-ah-ah) Someday we will find the Cities of Gold!

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
80's/90's video games

I remember the Under a Killing Moon demo floppy kicking about when I was young but I never got around to playing it. I recently bought the full game and it's amazing how bad 80s/90s game design was.

For example I was searching a crimelord's flat on day two after having got into one room by slicing through the window. I'd examined the next room and found the front door. I then opened the next unopened door in the place. Bang! Game over, reload from save.

Apparently this posh flat consisting of just two rooms had two front doors.

Today's gaming industry has it's share of problems, many of which didn't exist back then, but game design has definitely improved.

alan280170

Distinguished Member
Ah - I really miss white dog poo posts. We always used to come in from school, fire up the modem and discuss our white poo sightings on the bbs. We used to do it until mum yelled at us to get off the phone as she was expecting a call from aunt Gertrude.

We used to go get coal for the fire, then in our very early teens, I would flash up the sinclair spectrum and make naughty words go round and round the screen until manic miner came along.

Switch625

Along with the usual Transformers/Thundercats love, I loved M.A.S.K. In fact I went through and watched the complete DVD collection last year and it brought back a lot of memories. I have the Switchblade toy somewhere.

Mr_Wistles

Distinguished Member
Huge retro fan here. My house is a shrine to the 80s (much to the wife’s chagrin).

I regularly workout to theme tunes from old school cartoons. Got a funny look the other day when the gym was changing the cd and my headphones were blaring out the music to Ulysses 31! They don’t make them like that anymore!

Up until 4 months ago I had every retro Sega game ever. 1983 until 2005 until the afore mentioned wife made me sell them all!

Up until 4 months ago I had every retro Sega game ever. 1983 until 2005 until the afore mentioned wife made me sell them all!

Giving up my consoles was a huge blow but TBH, I'm happier now with emulators and having a lot more free space in the house. Only console I kept was my original 1979 Atari 2600. At this point, I just want to see how long that sucka will keep on trucking.

The sweetener to switching to emulators is when you realise you can download a system;s entire game library to instantly access without a nest of wires everywhere or spending 15minutes cleaning grime off cartridge contacts with a cotton bud before you can fire it up.

Mr_Wistles

Distinguished Member
I have them all on an arcade machine along with a Retron 5. There was something about having them all on the shelves though.

Mr_Wistles

Distinguished Member
They were a good investment (weren't intended to be) and paid for all of our moving costs and contributed to some of the improvements.

Seeing my kids playing retro with their friends at the weekend though made me want to get them back though. Far too expensive to do that now.

4B9E02B7-0CCB-4478-A4DF-04E141A9348E_zpsxd65jwl8.jpg

Last edited:

Koeman2021

Banned
Huge retro fan here. My house is a shrine to the 80s (much to the wife’s chagrin).

I regularly workout to theme tunes from old school cartoons. Got a funny look the other day when the gym was changing the cd and my headphones were blaring out the music to Ulysses 31! They don’t make them like that anymore!

There's no better work out cd than the Rocky IV sound track. Fact.

Mr_Wistles

Distinguished Member
There's no better work out cd than the Rocky IV sound track. Fact.

I totally agree, search my old posts, I have been saying that for years!

I suggested to my boss that if we were able to pump that through the office speakers productivity would increase 200%.

Sandman

Distinguished Member
I have a bunch of old Tamiya rc cars from the 80's. I currently have:

Holiday Buggy
Hotshot
Boomerang
Clodbuster
Blackfoot
Monster Beetle
Lunchbox

I also search eBay on a regular basis for other models to add to the collection

I have a bunch of old Tamiya rc cars from the 80's. I currently have:

Holiday Buggy
Hotshot
Boomerang
Clodbuster
Blackfoot
Monster Beetle
Lunchbox

I also search eBay on a regular basis for other models to add to the collection

Is there new battery tech you can add to these are is it still like a 12 hour charge for 10mins of driving?

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky set to launch its plug-and-play Sky Stream solution
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Movies Podcast: 26th September 2022