The North Water (BBC/AMC) Colin Farrell

raigraphixs

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Directed by Andrew Haigh (Looking, The OA)

The four-part drama series stars Colin Farrell and Jack O’Connell as the leads.

Stephen Graham, Tom Courtenay, Peter Mullan, Sam Spruell, Roland Møller, Philip Hill-Pearson and Kieran Urquhart will co-star.
The North Water is set in the UK and the ice floes of the Arctic in the late 1850s and tells the story of Patrick Sumner (O’Connell), a disgraced ex-army surgeon who signs up as ship’s doctor on a whaling expedition to the Arctic. On board he meets Henry Drax (Farrell), the harpooner, a brutish killer whose amorality has been shaped to fit the harshness of his world. Hoping to escape the horrors of his past, Sumner finds himself on an ill-fated journey with a murderous psychopath. In search of redemption, his story becomes a harsh struggle for survival in the Arctic wasteland.”

Stephen Graham;
“Filming on the ship was an incredible experience and one that I will never forget,” “To be so privileged to see such beautiful animals like polar bears in their natural habitat – albeit it an ever changing one, sadly – was truly remarkable.”

Colin Farrell

colin-farrell-in-the-north-water-now-filming-for-bbc-two-tnw-nw-0310-ep4-7269-1573166098.jpg

Jack O’Connell
jack-o-connell-in-the-north-water-now-filming-for-bbc-two-tnw-nw-2709-ep1-5519-edit-1573166141.jpg

Stephen Graham
stephen-graham-in-the-north-water-now-filming-for-bbc-two-tnw-nw-1009-ep2-1168-1573166275.jpg

Sam Spruell
sam-spruell-in-the-north-water-now-filming-for-bbc-two-tnw-nw-0410-ep4-7920-1573166195.jpg

Book was very very good I’ve got high hopes for this.

I think someone mentioned this when we were talking about Farrell being the new Penguin.

The premise has me interested, and I like Graham and O'Connell as well. Should be a good one hopefully.

Location vibes is very AMC’s The Terror

Colin Farrell, Jack O’Connell

Not bad.

It's a BBC Studios commission btw, and they're the international distributors, so AMC just bought it off the shelf. Won't be on BBC2 until autumn.

@raigraphixs just noticed you had an earlier thread @
So probably worth merging @Garrett 🙏
(and then deleting this post)

@raigraphixs just noticed you had an earlier thread @
So probably worth merging @Garrett 🙏
(and then deleting this post)
:smashin:
merged

(US pace)

Watched the first 4 episodes with my brother in law, Interesting, bleak, Farrells’ Henry Drax is a conniving evil bastard. All the characters are good, like Jack O’Connell’s Patrick Sumner & Sam Spruell’s Cavendish. Final episode next week. Not as deep as AMC’s The Terror

Caught the first 4 too and it's a grower.
I gave up on The Terror, found it getting too hokey for its own good and killing the best stars.
Not a great fan of O'Connell but he is more balanced here and Spruell works well enough in another arsehole role.
Farrell, though, excels as the portly psychotic dirty ole bastard; that chooses to dispense his need to harm at his leisure, along with an alarmingly warped spoken sensibility of what it is to be human and just do what's natural. Stephen Graham and Roland Møller also play well here as captain and portentous deckhand, respectively.
The dark story of both conscience and consequence flows well and the ice laden setting is a marvel to behold at times.
Due to the nature of a whaling tale, those and theirs who can't take animal cruelty will either have to look away with fingers firmly pressed in ears or, avoid this. It also has adult language running through this, all the way up to the C-bomb.
If, however, you can take the content, I'd say it's one of the best of the year in a binged format.

#5: To Live is to Suffer

The final felt detached from previous episodes due to shift in location, So did not live up to expectations, Sumner has a big pair of bollocks

Well, he does now. Oi.
It's always good to have a bit of Peter Mullan but this then gives into expectation in the last half of the finale.
A little invention and this would've been upper tier from start to end but, that doesn't make it a wasted venture for a viewer by a long trek.

Based on Ian McGuire's novel of the same name (which I've not read).

"Henry Drax, a harpooner and brutish killer whose amorality has been shaped to fit the harshness of his world, who will set sail on a whaling expedition to the Arctic with Patrick Sumner, a disgraced ex-army surgeon who signs up as the ship’s doctor. Hoping to escape the horrors of his past, Sumner finds himself on an ill-fated journey with a murderous psychopath. In search of redemption, his story becomes a harsh struggle for survival in the Arctic wasteland."

Started on BBC last week, already aired on AMC I believe. Colin Farrell, Stephen Graham and Jack O'Connell lead.

Last edited:
Watched the first two episodes last night anyway.

Very good, very solid. Great cast, and a similar feel to the excellent The Terror.

All episodes are available on the iPlayer.

Is there? Did a search and couldn't find it. Cheers anyway.

@Garrett could you please sort?
Merged

You should know by now rai starts a thread on programs years before the idea comes into anyone's head to make it. :rolleyes: :rotfl:

Merged

You should know by now rai starts a thread on programs years before the idea comes into anyone's head to make it. :rolleyes: :rotfl:

I can see Krish also asked you to do the same further up :laugh:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom