1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The nightmare continues

Discussion in 'TVs' started by ayrshiredude, Sep 4, 2004.

1. ayrshiredude

ayrshiredude
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I went out and bought a JVC 36P38 which Currys had on last weekend for £899. As I work for the group I also got my 10% discount so all in all I got the lot for £826 which I thought was a fantastic price for a 36"TV

Well it arrived Thursday and I set it all up and no matter how much I play with it unless the image is of a very high standard (DVD really) the picture is nothing short of crap. I have vcd's which I have downloaded from the net that look better on my old Panasonic 29" than pretty much all of sky and even some DVD's look on this.

One thing I notice is that text (especially on sky and it's information bar and menus) is very blurred. I ran the THX test disk through it and the alighnment page shows very poor convergence accross pretty much the whole screen. Obvious red leakage over the while lines. I am presuming this is why the text looks so blurred.

But generally the picture has huge amounts of digital artifacts and gennerally an over processed look to it. There is very little that doesn't seem to suffer from this. I have tried various settings and noting really helps that much.

I am affraid to go back to currys after all the problems with my Sony RPTV that I had and somehow doubt they will be happy to take it back or echange it.

I have kinda been thinking about the Panasonic PL32 which will cost me £100 more. Has anyone got this set who can tell me what it's like?

I just can't believe how hard it is to get a tv that has a good picture. My old 8 year old Panasonic 29" 4 X 3 set has a great picture but I want widescreen. I kinda think that all the digital processing of these newer high end TV's actually make things worse.

Anyway any comments or suggestions greatly appreciated.

:lease:

2. ayrshiredude

ayrshiredude
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh though 1 positive thing. The geometry is almost perfect. Every line is totally straight, no bends or bowing of the image at any point. Surely an unusual thing for a TV of this size.

3. ns1col

ns1col

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've the same tv from curry's and agree 100% with the tv picture. My sony DAVS888 home cinema in a box does progressive scan on R1 and only interlaced on R2, so dvd is very good. The freeview RGB picture on my tv has an over processed look to it and because of the good dvd picture, the tv picture doesn't look so good. Did you know that the tv will display a 525P, 625P and a 1080I picture?

4. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I had a Sony with similar problems, DVD looked great but everything was terrible. I never found out what was wrong as the engineer simply said it was faulty and I got my money back

5. techSi

techSi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, I've had mine a week now and can't get the terrestrial or cable tv picture to appear very well. Both appear blurred, especially text on the screen. It's not the convergence as teletext and DVD pictures are superb.

The picture improves with all the digital post processing turned off such as Digipure and VNR but is still very disappointing given the JVC sales documentation pushing digipure etc as producing excellent images.

Have contacted JVC, waiting for a response.
    Will contact the retailer and see if this is a common problem.

techSi

6. ns1col

ns1col

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Same here, the dvd picture is excellent though. I was actually thinking off changing the freeview box thinking that the box was rubbish.

7. techSi

techSi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    see my post under blurred text on digital TVs

I have found a combination of settings and picture setups that produce an excellent image with both DVD and my NTL pace box. See if they work for you. Even the text from the NTL box is now sharp. Can see digital artifacts if you sit too close though so you need to be at least 7 or 8 feet away from the screen.

techSi

8. Dunedin397

Dunedin397

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got a JVC 28R47SK (flat 28", Dolby Pro Logic 2, sub-woofer, surround speakers) from Comet earlier this year and I'm not 100% happy with it. I did have to change the default video settings as text was very blurry, especially with my Daewoo SV-900 Freeview VCR. However it's all working fine now with Freeview, DVDs and a PlayStation2 games.

My main issue with it is the geometry, particulary on the bottom 3rd of the screen. The picture bends upwards slightly in the middle and again at the very extreme edges of the sides. I did have to change the settings for all the picture modes (ie Full, Panoramic, etc) as the factory settings were terrible. The Panoramic settings are very good but I still need to tweak the Full mode settings.

It seems very difficult to get a CRT TV that doesn't have any niggles that 4:3 TV sets didn't seem to suffer from. Either that or we're better informed on what issues to look for. For me it's 2 things, flat screens and picture processing. I wouldn't have minded staying with curved screens with CRT sets and moving to flat when plasma and LCD are at current CRT prices.

Dunedin

9. techSi

techSi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm going to try some superior scart leads and see if it improves the 'halo' or blurring effect of the black lettering on a white background on DVD replay.
    Have been told that the TV alters its convergence depending on the quality of the input signal so this may explain the blurriness of the terrestrial and cable channels. The NTL pace box is restricted to only outputting composite or RGB on the scart and only one of the EXT inputs can accept an RGB signal and I use that for the DVD input.

techSi

10. ayrshiredude

ayrshiredude
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I had the Mastercare engineer round today to look at my TV. This guy is becoming like family he's been here so often lol. Anyway he conformed what I thought that the crap picture is just the TV as it is, not a fault. Luckily he saw the sound not working when I turned the TV on so that means it is faulty. SO I am back to square one.

Kinda wonder about the Panasonic 36PL32 which is about £100 more. Seems to have good writeups and doesn't have the picture enhancing/reducing processing so hopefully it might be better. Will take mt DVD player again and see what it looks like.

11. techSi

techSi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mmm, Well let us know how you get on.
    I am resigned to the fact that the picture isnt so good with anything but a DVD input. Like I said I am going to get some better quality leads and see if that improves it any. Basically I am happy with it for the price but it is a poor picture if you sit too close with anything but a perfect input.

12. ns1col

ns1col

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    That sum's up the my 36" tv. One of my thought's regarding the freeview picture was that we are seeing the limitation's of the freeview signal/compression on a screen so big. I've looked at some panasonic tv's in town with freeview being broadcast and could see the same jaggies only less on the smaller screen's.
    techSi, if you have the 36" JVC it will accept an rgb input on ext2 as per 3 post's up.
    All in all i'm happy enough apart from when watching dvd's, white's seem to be brilliant white and whatever I change in the setting's make's it either too dark or too light.

13. Digiman

Digiman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    ayrshiredude - if convergence is poor accross the screen, you give it a freeview feed, blow it up to 36" and throw in a bit of JVC processing, the results are going to be far from breathtaking. £899 is a great price for a 36" TV but I dont think you can expect too much. I can't put my finger on why my 32" JVC didn't leave me jaw-dropped but I think it was probably a mix of the above too. Pleased to hear you'll be getting your money back. Keep sending them back, you'll get there in the end - even when you have found the right model, you'll be lucky if you get a good one first time.

ns1col, have you used a set up disk like Digital Video Essentials. It sounds like your contrast setting may be out.

14. ayrshiredude

ayrshiredude
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well took my DVD player and some disks into Currys today and had a play with the Panasonic PL32 and I must say the picture was noticibly better then the JVC's. There was very little or none of the digital artifacts or picture noise that the JVC exhibits. Unfortunately they seem to be out of stock of them and according to the Manager they don't expect to be getting any more in. So it looks like it is discontinued.

While I can accept that £899 is a great price for a 36" TV this is reduced from the usual £1300 so really that is the level it should be compared to. And I kinda think that even if it were only £100 if the picture is no good then it is money poorly spent. Buts like all the rest of the problems, everyone has their own ideas about what is good and what is not good. SOme people might consider it a good buy and the picture to be fine but I am too much of a perfectionist I think lol.

Anyway one interesting thing I was told was that because I have a Returns Autherisation number from Mastercare then they will honour the refund/exchange of the TV anytime within the year. So he advised me to keep it at the moment and keep watching for special offers and if I see one I like then to arrange the exchange. If a few months down the line I see nothing then I can still get my money back. I thought this was an extraordinary thing to get from currys but he has written it on my receipt so I suspect they will honour it. So I think thats what I will do. Keep waiting and watching the website for specials.

15. ns1col

ns1col

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    All i have at the moment is thx disk's. As well as having a buzzing sound when in the freeview text when i go to the entertainment section, i now can see a light blue smudge in the middle of the screen when the screen is white.

update: called mastercare or whatever they call themselves and an engineer will be coming to see the set on monday.

16. ns1col

ns1col

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Mastercare guy has just left and the tv need's exchanged for a new one. When he phoned into the office the computer had crashed so I'll get a phone call later regarding stock for a new one. Broona had one on order that was cancelled because of nill stock. What are the chances of me getting a new one then?
    Ah well i'll wait and see.