The NFL thread

Discussion in 'Sport' started by odd1ne, Jul 28, 2012.

1. odd1ne

odd1ne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    I'm sure there has to be some NFL fans on here, season starting in just over a month any thoughts on the season ahead. The old thread is a little old now so guess to start a new one.

P.S I know everytime NFL gets talked about there is a lot of haters so please dont post unless you are interested in this great sport.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  2. wbabbington

wbabbington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    Big Giants fan here. I think it's going to be an interesting season for us. We drafted very well to cover our losses (couldn't believe Randall was still available) and we have still have arguably the strongest D line in the entire NFL. But we've got a very tough schedule coupled with the fact that the NFC East is the toughest division. If Manning can regain last seasons form we should make the play offs and then you never know!

3. odd1ne

odd1ne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    Think Osi will finally be happy now he got a new contact. Giants have been quite quiet, only thing you ever see in new York is Sanchez or Tebow, that really interests me. Do you think Moss will be Mega this year, a lot of reports saying how good he looks. I hope he does well just see if he has a paddy as i dont think the 9ers will be throwing as much as he likes especially with a beast like Gore.

4. wbabbington

wbabbington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    Yeah for me resigning Osi was huge, as he compliments Tuck and Pierre Paul so well. Although the flip side of that was the whole Ballard mess, he was always going to snapped up. God knows what's going to happen at the Jets, but if it takes the NY press' eye off Giants that's a very good thing! The moment Sanchez makes a mistake that will probably be his season done and they can out Tebow in to continue to mess things up.

As for Moss, given his track record I doubt he will be there at the end of the season. I don't really understand his signing anyway (and to a lesser extent their signing of Manningham). Smith just doesn't have the arm strength to be effective when going deep and Moss' strength is his speed in those situations. And as you said Gore has been running well and with the acquisition of Jacobs they have a good running base.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  5. odd1ne

odd1ne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    That line is scary, I always liked tuck.

Tebow mania will be to much this year for me haha, kinda feel for Sanchez but Tebow is such a poor passer but he can win so its a double edge sword I suppose.

I always liked Smith, Manningham is a better signing turn Moss, just wondering if he can still play he has been of for a year and a half . Will you miss Jacobs, cannot imagine Gore sharing much, remember he bearly let Westbrook have a touch.

6. wbabbington

wbabbington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    Tuck is one of my favourites as well. (I made a point of getting his jersey when i was in NY last year)

I'm not sure if we will miss Jacobs. Our running game was very poor last year (in terms of yardage anyway) but I felt that it gave Manning his edge and kept the other teams D honest. We've still got Bradshaw who fingers crossed will have a better season but the fact we don't have anyone who can just repeatedly pound it in in short yardage situations is a worry. Hopefully we might pick someone up in pre season.

I guess Jacobs is such a different style of RB to Gore that they shouldn't really get in each others way. If the 49ers use him like the Giants did and Gore understands he's not being replaced just added too then they could make a very damaging duo.

7. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,045
    Going to try and follow it more this season. If coverage is still on terrestrial tv. Hopefully still on 4/5.

8. wbabbington

wbabbington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    Should be on channel 4 again. Although AFAIK a new contract still hasn't been confirmed with Sky so you might have to buy NFL game pass if you a fully want to see any games!

9. odd1ne

odd1ne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    I would of thought sky would keep the NFL well I would hope so anyway. Do you think RG3 will play as well as Cam did I don't think he will, seems everything the skins do never work.

10. wbabbington

wbabbington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    I'm the same as you I don't think he will have the same rookie success as Newton. Although that may partly be down to the fact that Washington don't have the same receiving options as the Panthers do. However it does look like the Redskins might be thinking the same thing as they drafted another QB and have kept Grossman.

RG3 is certainly talented but I don't think he will set the world on fire playing in Washington. You never know if Romo has another bad season he may end up at the Cowboys!

11. DrWise

DrWise
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,057
    Nfl fan here, been to the last few superbash here in london been quality like minded people and whatnot :) but this season i am going to try getting tickets for the actual superbowl can't wait
    and can't wait for the new NFL season to start, gonna be awesome :)

12. andyparksy

andyparksy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +543
    Well good luck with that one....!

Normally go to the super bash things as well, always really enjoyed them but for some reason always end up drinking too much....... Oh well

Really looking forward to kick off. Am a fins fan and really want them to start with tannehill and see what he can do- not so much that I think he is going to be exceptional (although some potential) more that we have an embarrassment of "adequate" with the alternatives, and have no interest in them.

If they all do start, will be interesting to see how the season pans out for luck, rg3 and tannehill. Very different rookies and I don't think it's obvious in the short term who is going to have the biggest impact.

Bring it on though, Sunday nights have been far too dull..........

13. DrWise

DrWise
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,057
    i did have an option of going to the last superbowl but pulled out at the 90th minute, but next year i am there for sure :)
    yeah superbash is crazy, cheerleaders, coors, and some lovely food, for half time, as i usually do Nandos prior to it

14. IL Cattivo

IL Cattivo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    Lots to look forward to for me this up and coming season.

Firstly, I hope all you chaps have got your NFL Game Pass subscriptions sorted ready for the start of pre-season games in a couple of weeks. Have subscribed to this service for the last few years now and find it to be absolutely superb for watching the team you follow live on game days. :thumbsup:

I'm a St Louis Rams fan, so for someone like me things really can't get any worse than the past 5-6 seasons of football. We have a new coach in Jeff Fisher, new GM in Les Snead and had an abundance of talent selected early on in the draft this year which should really help us move forward towards those once play-off bound seasons of 1999-2003.

Have got my tickets sorted for the London game this year on the 28th Oct. Rams v Patriots. Making a big weekend of it in London and should be going to the superbash party in Trafalgar Sq too.

Look out for Janoris Jenkins this season folks... He's had off field issues in his college days (some NFL pundits had him going top 10 in the draft if it weren't for the issues), but there's no doubting his on field talent is something pretty special. The Rams D this year will be a tough unit to get past. :D

Roll on Aug 12th.... :)

15. wbabbington

wbabbington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    As much as I want to get the game pass don't think I'm going too this year. Going to be away from the internet for nearly 4 weeks in Sep/Oct and on most Sunday nights I've got NASCAR to watch (which takes precedence for me at the moment as I writer articles on it). But it's a great price at the moment and may pick it up next year (or when NASCAR has finished) and depending on how well the Giants do I can just rewatch all the games!

16. IL Cattivo

IL Cattivo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    If memory serves correct wb, they often do a cracking half season deal for Game Pass which might fit your needs during the 2012 season, around end of Oct early Nov time I believe :smashin:

17. odd1ne

odd1ne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    What you think of the Chad Johnson signing now then? I was so disapointed with him last year, made some nice catches though he still has a good pair of hands.

18. andyparksy

andyparksy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +543
    Could be a bit of a carnival ( some people were saying they only signed him as they have signed up to do the behind the scenes reality show "hard knocks" and will def give them ratings) but as you say there is definitely still a lot he can give. ,if he is up for it and put last season down to a blip he could really help the QB, and they are going to need all the help they can get. Just hope it is not a complete freak show though..........

19. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +898
    dolphins fan here can't quite understand our move to a 4-3 from a 3-4 as we have perfect players to fit a 3-4 defence

20. andyparksy

andyparksy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +543
    Not sure where it is going to leave soliai, prob as a free agent which would be criminal, and I know a lot are saying the front 7 were prob the only area of the team that did not need changing but there might be some positives...... Wake is going to be a great DE I think, would expect a lot from him there but more importantly (and I dont know enough to have too much of an opinion) have heard mentioned that the "standard" 4-3 makes the safeties job a little more straightforward, and I think they need all the help they can get.......

21. odd1ne

odd1ne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    I thought that about the pats last year but it turned out ok, couldn't of been worse in a 3-4

22. IL Cattivo

IL Cattivo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    Got yer tickets for Wembley this year then tompop? :D

Bet you Pats fans are licking your lips over that match-up. Don't think it's going to be as easy as you think though. ;)

Rams have the 4th toughest schedule this season out of all 32 teams. Just need the Redskins to have a horrific season and we could have 2 top 10 picks in the draft next year.... :clap:

23. odd1ne

odd1ne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    Nah I could never afford it, when they first come over Mrs was pregent and this time she is due again in Feb so not really got the cash. Would be wonderful to go but carnt. Looking forward to the game the rams should be improved this year.

24. IL Cattivo

IL Cattivo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    That's a shame pal... The wife and I had our 1st born in April of this year but made sure that I marked every Sunday & Monday evening from 5pm- 3am in our calendar as 'My NFL Time - Do Not Disturb'. She's not best pleased, but she'll live. :D

25. odd1ne

odd1ne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    Haha I sometimes think i can never please her, I end up having to watch it all later on once she is asleep so come September ill only be getting 4 hours sleep every night lol.

Looking forward to the game tonight, I quite enjoy pre-season, its fun seeing the backups. I remember seeing Brady Quinn a few years ago doing so well how that ended with the browns. Also remember in 08 cassle being booed and many said he should be cut and ending up giving us 11 wins.

26. IL Cattivo

IL Cattivo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    First look at RG3 tonight then folks... Anyone watching?

I remember seeing Cam Newton in a couple of Pre-Season games last year and he was awful. Certainly got it together in the regular season though. Be interesting to see how both of these guys do this year.

27. odd1ne

odd1ne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    I have only seen the pats preseason game, ill try and catch highlights of the others. The d actually looks better for once. Jones looks like a beast, didn't realise he was bones Jones little bro.

28. Scholes18

Scholes18

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +419
    Just been announced that the rams won't be playing at wembley in 2013/14.

Good stuff

29. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +556
    Any announcement on UK TV rights yet?

30. odd1ne

odd1ne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: