1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The next step up - but what?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Phil Hinton, May 22, 2003.

1. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,192
    I have now had my Barco Data 800 crt for about two years now, if not more, and it still does an excellent job. I am using an Iscan Pro and Onkyo DV-939 thx DVD player to feed the pictures.

However my thoughts now swing to thinking about the next step up and what I should be looking for.

So, I have no budget in mind just yet, but would likely spend £3-5k inc a new scaler(like the sound of Gordons new toy).

So can anyone give me suggestions at what i should be looking at, and more importantly what resolutions i should be aiming for (16:9).

Many Thanks!

2. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    First off ignore resoloution for the moment that will be dictated by the projector.
    You must decide why you want to upgrade from your existing PJ.
    Brightness, sharpness more stable picture. System that is family friendly etc.

My first instict and knowing your system would be to suggest a projector like an 808 or 1208 or possibly a Sony G70. Menus from the Barco's will be pretty much familiar to you but you can expect quite a leap up in light output and resoloution/ sharpness.

These PJ's need to be driven and so it is important to match it to the relevant scaller. Recon on a good set of 8" tubes being able to do 1280x720 or may be even 768 is set up right. for your budget I recon a lumagen would sit nicely. I take it you were unhappy with your PC setup

Give us a call and come and have a look

Roly

3. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,192
    Roland,

Many thanks for the reply, i am about 6-8 months away from any real move, so I will come look far nearer the time. I am just trying to get myself back up to speed on what will make the upgrade worth the cash, I have no doubt that your knowledge and services will be called on in the future.

I saw Uncle Erics Sony G-?? and was knocked out with the colours and detail on tap, and it was seeing this that set off the upgraditis, Damn You Eric;)

I want the best picture, stability and resolution available for whatever budget i end up with, £5k will be the Max.

4. magking

magking
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    G70 ;)

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    Just go now nad have a dem of a few units. As you aren't going to be buying new what is available now will be available then for close to same money...or perhaps less.

Although I distribute them I must say that the Lumagen is the ideal candidate for this job. Really simple to integrate in to an IR control system and really great picture for the money.

Gordon

6. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Phil,
    If you think that was good. You should see it now. It's heart stopping :eek:
    Gordon brought down the HD-Leeza with Panny SDi player and promptly spent around 10 hours squeezing every drop of performance out of it. DVD now looks fanatstic and Hi Def (now de-interlaced by the HDL) looks just unreal.
    The G70 is finally getting sources it deserves. Awsome stuff.

As Gordon mentioned, the Lumagen scalers are superb. Very easy to operate with great results. After a thorough review, WSR recently gave them a very high recommendation. As you might know, those boys don't mince their words.