1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The newest member of the family!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Orbital, Aug 24, 2003.

1. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi all,

Just a quick post to introduce the newest member of our family. On Thursday the 21st August my wallet gave birth to a beautiful mint second hand Meridian 565.

No I know I'm going against the grain here with all the people buying second hand Lex's etc but the Meridian 565 is such a lovely sounding piece of kit I just couldn't resist. I haven't got into the depths of setting it up even remotely as it should be, but even now it sings! Trifield is a work of art and listening to CD's has become a pleasure again :D

After getting 5 minutes to myself (with a wife a 3 year old and a 4 month old that isn't as easy as it sounds) I quickly put on The Fellowship of the Ring and was amazed at the detail that was being presented to me. Even though I had demo’d it, it sounded even better in my own cinema room. One of the things that struck me most was the clarity of the dialogue. It was so crisp and precise I just couldn't get over it. Effects where pinpoint and so dynamic I was looking over my shoulder at various points during the opening sequence. To say I'm a happy camper is the understatement of the year.

I can't wait to get some spare time and set it up properly. It impressed me that much I actually went out and bought £240 worth of Nordost interconnects!! Nothing has had that of effect on me before! :rotfl:

My thanks go out to Adz (Spligsey) for teaching me the ways of the Meridian. I think my Cyrus HiFi set-up in the lounge should start worrying :D

2. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    A picture of the new arrival :D

Attached Files:

3. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do those Meridian players have a slight delay when you use the various controls/buttons on them? I remember What HIFI mentioning something about it, or maybe I'm thinking of something else :confused:

4. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    No delay which I've noticed Sunday.

5. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Nice one Dave:D

Glad to hear you're impressed with the 565.
    There's no doubting Meridians technical expertise @ digital engineering. Their sound is clean, crisp & precise.
    Trifield is one of the best DSP's i've heard. Makes for a solid, convincing soundstage, giving CD's a new edge.
    It is another Meridian machine capable of good things in 2 channel & multichannel modes.
    They really do make great multipurpose machines.
    I know you're using it as more of a movie tool, but it's also very handy to know it can handle your CD's too:smashin:

Hope you enjoy it.

Adz

6. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Sunday.

Meridian use proprietry software on their disc spinners.
    They do take longer to go from 'load' to 'play' than most CD players, which is weird when you first use them.
    'Next track' selecting takes slightly longer (couple of secs), but you can negate that by pressing the 'play' button on the Meridian remote, which makes a quicker change.

The newer generation player (588) uses a triple buffer system/ROM drive to ensure the data is picked up & corrected to give as good as a performance as possible.

They make great CD players.

Adz