The new XTZ Subwoofer!

zed4

Prominent Member
Reaction score
My competition win has arrived!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Thanks AV Forums!

220838_10150578716005302_561720301_18343313_5179508_o.jpg

Heavy....

209939_10150578717065302_561720301_18343326_866354_o.jpg

Huge!!

209785_10150578720020302_561720301_18343368_354057_o.jpg

Lots of fiddly knob adjustments!

209594_10150578722835302_561720301_18343394_5644820_o.jpg

202150_10150578724095302_561720301_18343417_6701673_o.jpg

204299_10150578718515302_561720301_18343351_1359545_o.jpg

201657_10150578721720302_561720301_18343387_7536660_o.jpg

Dwarf's my old Kef!

209947_10150578727345302_561720301_18343454_1836491_o.jpg

Not decided what to do with my Kef yet. The XTZ is a beast! 550w ICE B&O amp driving a 12" cone :) It's a little big for the room really, I didn't realise it was sooooo large. Girlfriend is watching some soaps at the moment. I'll try to get a film on later! Need a detached house now.... :rolleyes:

I'll get some photos of the whole setup with my Nikon later and update this thread. :D

Thanks.

I received an email from Fyndborsen (the supplier) to say my order was ready to be shipped. I thought it was a scam of some sort as I hadn't ordered anything from Sweden! I was just about to delete when I saw in the signature they were an XTZ dealer, so I thought I'd have a look on their website. Anyway, I decided to email him back and asked him to confirm the order and he told me I'd won the AV Forums competition! It arrived 3 days later. :D

I might buy some XTZ 99.36 floorstanders to go with it. There were some on eBay, 2nd hand but unused, or I may buy new.

congratz dude, that looks mint.

Congratulations on the win, what a stunning prize! (lucky git also :rotfl:)

Gonna be murder keeping the paw prints of that one but get that detached house before loosing the sub imo! :D

Nice one :smashin:

Congratulations on the win, what a stunning prize! (lucky git also :rotfl:)

Gonna be murder keeping the paw prints of that one but get that detached house before loosing the sub imo! :D

Nice one :smashin:

I'm used to piano black, all the Kefs have the same finish. No one is allowed to touch them! :devil:

Happy to see it arrived safely! Just let me know if we can help you tune it properly! There are quite a few combinations possible if you consider all the port plugs, EQ switches and filters together. It should be possible to achieve just the right kind of bass in most rooms.

:)

/Rikard

Last edited:
Happy to see it arrived safely! Just let me know if we can help you tune it properly! There are quite a few combinations possible if you consider all the port plugs, EQ switches and filters together. It should be possible to achieve just the right kind of bass in most rooms.

/Rikard

Thank you XTZ! :D

I would love some help setting it up properly. Last night I quickly set it up as per my old sub. Volume about halfway, crossover set to 80Hz, EQ 1 and 2 and LPE I just left off. I left in one of the bass port plugs as the manual said it's best for smaller rooms. I'm not really sure what they class as a small room though!

My lounge area of the room measures 4.5m wide x 3.4m deep, but the room is actually 7.5m wide overall including the dining area. Three of the walls are solid external walls, one is a stud wall separating the hallway. There is laminate wooden flooring with two leather sofas but there is a rug and hundreds of cushions so the sound is damped quite well. The dining end of the room has sliding patio doors, dining table and chairs but no soft furnishings so it can be a bit echoey at that end. We do have curtains with are drawn when watching a film.

The room used to look like this a couple of years ago...

DSC_0044.jpg

Dining table just out of shot behind me...

DSC_0066.jpg

But is now less cluttered, this is the only shot I have with the new cabinet...

2010-09-27%20at%2019-57-41.jpg

I'm going to put the sub where the Kef one was in the last photo to see how it sounds for now. I may put it to the right, in the corner, where the plant is in the first photo as it looks quite big in the middle of the wall. Also, I understand it's best to have it in the corner of the room.

I hope that helps somewhat towards setting up the sub.

Well, it´s not that easy to come up with general suggestions for tuning before having some kinds of results from listening. All rooms are completely different and we always have to make the best out of every one. I would start off placing the sub whereh you´d want it to be, set the EQ switches OFF and the freq knob at about 11 o´clock, both plugs inserted. If you have a Audyssey system or similar in your system, run a calibration, then begin to tweak the adjustments. Try one plug at a time (the ports are different lengths so they will sound different). If it sounds ok now you are probably close to the goal. If not, try to describe the sound and we can always come up with some suggestions to take the sound in "your" direction I hope.

If you want to do this really properly some kind of measurement tool is very handy. You can then "see" how it sounds, and pinpoint any found issues regarding standing waves etc. It makes it a lot easier to find the best placement and settings.

/Rikard

Well, it´s not that easy to come up with general suggestions for tuning before having some kinds of results from listening. All rooms are completely different and we always have to make the best out of every one. I would start off placing the sub whereh you´d want it to be, set the EQ switches OFF and the freq knob at about 11 o´clock, both plugs inserted. If you have a Audyssey system or similar in your system, run a calibration, then begin to tweak the adjustments. Try one plug at a time (the ports are different lengths so they will sound different). If it sounds ok now you are probably close to the goal. If not, try to describe the sound and we can always come up with some suggestions to take the sound in "your" direction I hope.

If you want to do this really properly some kind of measurement tool is very handy. You can then "see" how it sounds, and pinpoint any found issues regarding standing waves etc. It makes it a lot easier to find the best placement and settings.

/Rikard

Thanks, I have the Onkyo TX-SR876 so it has the Audyssey system. I'll try to run it tonight if I get time. Busy at the moment packing for my holiday next week.

I would like to buy an SPL meter to get the levels correct, but I'm thinking first I may move the room around a bit.

Watched Inception on Blu-Ray last night. Wow, sounds awesome. Really shakes the house!!! It does need setting up though, doesn't sound right. I'll run Audyssey tonight. :thumbsup:

Congrats on winning you lucky basket! It's a fine looking sub, with the grilles off especially. Must feel great to win such a prize!

Hi,

I ran the Audyssey measurements last night and got some strange results! I took 8 readings, surrounding the sofa with each measurements. Each satellite speaker measured perfectly, each distance measurement was within a few cm's and the levels sounded good. I had to change the crossover frequencies of them as it set them at around 100-120hz, so I changed them back to 80hz.

What was strange was the sub. It set the volume to -15db (the lowest possible) and said it was 5.5m away from the sofa. It is in fact about 2.6m away, the same as the centre and fronts. What am I doing wrong here?!

I have the sub volume set to 50%. Should I redo the measurements with the volume a little lower? The sub now sounds really quiet, so I turned the level back up on the amp to about -3db, the same as the satellite speakers. It now sounds a bit different too. The cone seems to move a lot, but I don't get much of a rumble from it. It seems punchy, but lacks that rumbly feeling. I currently have no bungs in the ports. Should I put them in?

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Dan

Thanks,

Dan

/Rikard
Rikard

Just made some adjustments to my identical sub. Both EQ switches were on. Now turned off. The frequency knob was at 5 o'clock. Moved to 11 o'clock. What do you suggest to do with the high pass switch?

Hope I am not hijacking.

Congratulations on winning this subwoofer by the way:smashin:. It is some beast and I have found it to be worth every euro cent.

No, not hijacking. It's good to hear from someone with the same sub.

I too have both EQ switches off and the crossover set to 11oclock which I think is about 80hz. Where do you your volume set on the sub and level on the amp? What amp do you have?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom