1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The NEW Themescene H78

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ntslik, Mar 11, 2005.

1. ntslik

ntslik
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    The NEW Themescene H78 is available now and replaces the award winning H77..........vastly improved and the big bonus is for all those people that have already bought a H77 read on....

The new ThemeScene™ H78 delivers substantial image quality enhancement over its predecessor, the award-winning H77. Newly developed technology by both ThemeScene™ and Texas Instruments ™ enables the H78 to offer stunning picture quality:

Colour accuracy has been enhanced on a wider range of signal types <LI>
    PAL and 50Hz High Definition (European High Definition) image quality has been further optimised
    Grey scale linearity has been improved, especially in the important low light, dark areas of images.
    Faster Pixel response times have yielded improvement in both Brightness and Contrast Ratios
    These improvements combine to produce an image of unrivalled colour balance, accuracy and motion fluidity resulting in exceptionally natural and cohesive images.

Existing H77 owners can benefit from these improvements by having their units upgraded to H78 specifications. For a nominal fee of £79 including VAT ThemeScene™ will arrange collection, upgrade to H78 specifications, re-calibration and return shipping. Customers wanting this upgrade should contact ThemeScene™ Customer services

Oh and the price is the same as the H77 - £3495

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Does this involve replacing any hardware - is there a new DMD, optics or PCBs etc., or is it a firmware upgrade and re-calibration ?

Sean G.

3. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +941
    Well that answers the questions about the H79 coming to the UK then.

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,114
    The improvements sound like a DC3 DMD upgrade to me, but the price seems far too cheap for that, so I'm confused! Maybe as they keep the existing DC2 chip that offsets the cost of the new one. Only a guess but I'm hoping that's what it'll be. :)

Sounds like a lot of improvements for the money in any case.

Gary.

5. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Gary,

Neil's website describes the H78 as a HD2+, I agree that an upgrade to DC3 sounds unlikely at that price. All the same, if it's a firmware upgrade with no hardware changes I thought the norm is that it would be done free under warranty. I guess we'll have to wait for Neil to post some further details.

If it's not hardware based

and

.... must be a hell of a firmware upgrade.......

Sean G.

6. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,114
    Hi Sean,

It was point 4 that made me think DMD, as I can't think of anything else that will improve contrast, brightness or pixel (mirror) speed. Everything else could be firmware but the points you mention also make it unlikely to be just firmware. Colour wheel maybe?? Intriguing!

If it's a firmware upgrade, then it's a tad costly IMHO, though up to half the cost could be pickup and return I suppose. Of course changing the badge over from H77 to H78 may mean swapping the entire casing...... :D

Gary.

7. ntslik

ntslik
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thats all I have at the moment, I can try and get more details on monday, I have used the same spec list as the H77 as I am not aware of what change to spec there is.

Will keep you guys posted :)

8. ntslik

ntslik
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Ok a bit more info on the upgrade

Firmware is one upgrade but there is also a major overhaul on the DMD seqence codes which they have not been able to do before.

9. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Have you seen one of these H78s Neil, or are you just listing the improvements that Optoma have promised?

I agree that for the price most of this could well be carriage so I'm not holding out for much chance of DC3 ;)

Who do I pay my cash to and when can I get this?!? Will ring Optoma on monday.

Regards,

Ian Guinan

10. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,114
    I think they'll be getting a few calls on Monday. :)

I've emailed Stuart Acey for more info, so I'll post the details here when I get a reply.

Sequence codes sounds interesting. I wonder how that can give the improvemnets listed in point 4?

Gary.

11. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Gary,

Sequence codes sounds like firmware..... The H78 is not listed on the Optoma/Themescene website, (Here) so I guess we'll have to wait until further information comes from the company.

Sean G.

12. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,114
    Hi Sean,

So I wonder if sequence codes are something TI supply and firmware is the manufacturers domain? Much does seem more like code than hardware and the upgrade price seems to reflect that, but the improvements I'd expect form firmware related upgrades wouldn't be that great with respect to contrast and brightness.

Maybe the sequence codes come in an eprom from TI or something.

Gary.

13. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +941
    It would be interesting to know then what the H78 actually is, i.e is it "just" a H77 with upgraded firmware or is it a whole new machine i.e hardware etc.

As i understand it the H79 is an entirely new machine (correct me if i am wrong) so are we being a bit "short changed" in the UK.

14. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,114
    THe H79 has the HD2+ Dark Chip 3, where s the H77 is only DC2. I don't know of any other changes - the firmware is much the same because the gamma curve has a slight hump at around 70/80ire, and so does the H77, so in that respect, there's no change.

I don't see how they can get improved contrast without changing the DMD or improving the colour wheel balance to take into account the lack of red (alowing more gren and blue for more contrast). Maybe they're referring to intra-scene contrast which might be improved with faster pixel responce times. How they translates into miror activity which are effectively the pixels I don't know. It's all very intriguing. :)

They did say we might get the H79 at the end of the year, but that might be being delayed because of the PAL problems they had. I'm using HTPC and I can't say that I see any problems with the image at all now. That might be due to the lamp dimming and reduce the appearance of any deficiencies, but compared to the demo machine I saw, the newer firmware seems to have done the trick. I just hope this new mod doesn't make anything worse. :)

Gary.

15. sjb

sjb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Gary,

Surely, if they sorted out the Pal problems on the H77, they won't have to do it again for the H79 with the machines being so similar to each other.

Regards,

Stan.

16. ntslik

ntslik
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    You can't be short changed if the H78 replaces and improves on the H77 for the same money

17. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +941
    Is the H78 a brand new re-engineered production model, or an update to the current H77 stock?

18. ntslik

ntslik
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    It's an upgraded version of the H77, but theres no information as yet of the H79, so thats not to say we may see that model or an improved version at some point, but at the moment the H77 has been upgraded to the H78 model offering a better specification and is priced the same :thumbsup:

19. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,590
    inzaman

ThemeScene UK are promoting the H78 as an Enhanced H77 with the same SRP as the current model.

H77 owners have the option to pay a small fee to have the upgrades undertaken by ThemeScene UK on their H77 - which seems to be a good move all round.

The H79 has a US SRP that's 1000.00 USD above the price of a US H77 - if the H79 were to appear in the UK it would have an SRP nearer 4.3k not the 3.5k of the H77/H78; which is a step too far for many UK customers.

I'm sure at some future date we'll see a HD2+ DC3 equipped ThemeScene - though not at 3.5K for a while to come.

Best regards

Joe

20. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,114
    Hi Stan,

I think the H77 is a pretty good machine now as it is, but perhaps PAL needs something else so that PAL quality matched it's machines (better?) ability with NTSC sources, and the H78 seems to be enough of an improvement to warrant a new number.

The H79 may need the same improvements to make it as good with PAL as it is with NTSC (which is why we aren't getting them), so that may need a similar mod, and that could mean we'll see a H80 later in the year. Just a guess mind you.

Gary.

21. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +941
    Thanks for the info guys, i think i might start to revisit the H77/78 route now then.

22. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Spoke to Stuart Acey at Optoma this afternoon. He had little more information than we already have.

It does sound very much like another firmware revision along the lines of the one performed to correct the banding. It was explained to us then that the process involved updating the projector firmware, and also updating another component on one of the boards.

I'll still be paying my money and having it done when I get more details....happy to let someone else do it first and let me know if it worth it though ;)

Ian Guinan

23. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,114
    I was thinking the same thing. :)

Gary.

24. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +941
    Call me sceptical then and me playing devils advocate, but is this a ploy by Optoma to extend the product life of the H77 by rebranding it as the H78 to clear back log of stocks prior to releasing the H79.

I dont buy the PAL problems of the H79 when infact Optoma have already released several other PAL projectors.

What do others think?

25. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,590
    Hello inzaman

If you hang on two years we'll be on to the H99A+ advanced - much better than anything currently available :)

You make choosing a projector sound like a cold war espionage exercise!!!

Like every manufacturer out there Optoma can make 'inlife' changes to product specs without mentioning it to end users - this time around they believe they have made a significant enough step forward to give the projector a new model number though NOT increase the price.

If you want an HD2+ DC3 chipset hold fire for now and ensure there are a few more pennies in the piggy bank than you require for the HD2+ models.

Best regards

Joe

PS I don't have the exact date to hand but seem to recall Nov 04 for the first H77 in the UK - not exactly an out of date model!

26. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316

It is now!! :) :)

27. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +941
    This is my point it is now out of date but i have not seen any H77s discounted to take into account the new stock of H78s, all the in stock H77s (or at least it seems) will be updated to the H78 thereby increasing the life cycle of the H77 and ensuring no discounting of the prior model.

It is great marketing strategy by Optoma and i can see the sales pitch now this as a significantly upgraded model but for the same price, hold on a second were have i read that. ;)

This is my policy when buying a projector, the technology is so fast moving that i will only save to get one, never take out finance because by the time you have saved you are sure to get better bang for your buck :)

28. robfitzp

robfitzp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Nothing in hifi or AV seems to depreciate like a digital projector. Best bet is to let someone else buy one and then buy theirs for 50% or less when they upgrade in 9 months time. Having said that I am currently looking at importing a H79........

The H78 thing just looks like a way of charging for a firmware upgrade IMHO.

29. ntslik

ntslik
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I also heard that the H99A+ Advanced improved will have a nicely ironed shirt in side the box, which use to be on the back of Optoma staff

30. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,590
    Hello all

MikeK - :)

inzaman - so its a discount your after not a better projector :smashin:

With today's market you'll not find too many folk sitting on lots of stock.

I'd go with an H30A for now and sell it for 50% of its purchase price as and when your ready to order an HD2+ DC3 model.

robfitzp - you guys want it all ways! You want the latest techno whizz features plus you want long term residuals; that's a very difficult trick.

Best regards

Joe