1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The new Sony HS3.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by BadAss, Jan 19, 2004.

1. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
  2. beng

beng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sony really do know how to make consumer electronics look sexy.

3. DVDcake

DVDcake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Am I getting this mixed up with the HS2 or has this only just come onto the market. A look at AV-Sales shows the price to be very resonable.www.av-sales.co.uk/projectors/html/sony_vpl-hs3.html
    I had been trying to deceide whether to get an Panasonic AE500 or a Sony HS20. This HS3 might be the wildcard. :)
    Just noticed contrast is down on the other two models, 700:1 verses 1300:1. Looks like Panasonic may still have it.

4. beng

beng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Best price I can find for it on Kelkoo is £1090 which is certainly 'agressive' for entry level. I'm sure they'll be others selling for less.

5. DVDcake

DVDcake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    £1088.88 at http://www.hispek.com/ ;)
    Don't know what delivery is though.

At these prices it should be a no brainer for any entry level PJer espescially with HDMI. AS far as I know nothing else around this price offers that.

6. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    DVDcake, I'm in the same boat. It seems we are spoiled for choice at the moment. Choosing what to buy has probably never been so hard. AE500, HS20, Z2 all have pros and cons.

What I'd like to know is how far off is the PQ from the AE500 to the HS20? Does it warrant the £500-600 price difference?

7. beng

beng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well it certainly looks sexy but does it act sexy?

Would you wake up in the morning checking for cab fare?:kisses:

8. DVDcake

DVDcake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Personally I do not think the HS20 has any cons apart from being more expensive bringing it into performance DLP territory and still being based on LCD although the rainbows rule out most of them for me.

Anyone out there ready to compare the AE500 and HS20 please bring it on.:devil: :clap:

9. Saint Legend

Saint Legend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Questions .........

Would a Import version of the SONY H3 from USA work in U.K?

Would I be subject to extra tax/ surcharges in U.K ?

The Air filter in HS3, does this stop dust problems ?

Do Sony LCD projectors suffer from Dead pixles more that Pansonic LCD projectors ?

Man, Theres so much to choose from , My mind is going crazy!

Cheers:lesson:

10. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    An imported machine would work in this country but I think you would need a 110v power supply.

You would almost certainly get charged by customs @ 17.5% VAT for import duty. Customs are very tight at the moment.

The dead pixel thing varies from model to model to unit to unit. I don't think any manufacturer is immune to this problem.

I would assume the air filter stops does what its designed to do.

11. MADONMACS

MADONMACS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi All Yes I am a proud owner of the said Sony HS3 since xmas 2003. The person in the Sony Centre also hrew in the free sony 70 inch widescreen floor mounted screen as well.. I am VERY happy with it at the moment. Although i still have to ceiling mount it due to the short throw lens.

I originally Auditioned it against a Panasonic Ae 200 and 300 and IN MY OWN opinion I thought it was better all round...

Yes The panasonic did do some things better, but overall the Sony came out top for me.

The Cinema Pro works really well and it will sync up to all of my inputs so far. The Side shot can be usefull in tricky situations but if you can ues the PJ centrally to the screen with no Sideshot.. Just remember if a particular PJ works for you then stick with it and don't be swayed. Just enjoy your movies more, in 105 inches...sorry plasma peeps theyre just not big enough

Finding Nemo is a must have in NTSC prog scan, Bruce the shark had my friends kiddies screaming!! The other superb DVD is the Indiana Jones trilogy just really cool. Oh well off to burn a few more hours on the Sony's Lamp ;-))

12. DVDcake

DVDcake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Plasma is an expensive style extravagance for people with no light control, front projection is where the large screen home cinema future is at while improved LCD and the forthcoming LCOS panels will kill plasma stone dead for 'small screen' applications.:D