The new Sky Software and a quick question!

PoochJD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Afternoon Everyone,

I know there's been lots of talk about all the problems that Sky's latest EPG Software Upgrade has caused, and about how to cure the various problems that it causes on both regular and Sky Plus boxes.

Bearing all that in mind, this question is really aimed at those of you who don't have any children living with you, as it's regarding the Parental Control functions.

Basically, I'm an adult, who lives on his own, hence I have no need to bar or ban anything from anyone. I had the new Software Upgrade on Tuesday evening, and now, it doesn't matter how I set the various Parental Control functions, any channel that airs 15 or 18 certificate movies after 8pm, it keeps asking me for my PIN Number.

Now, thankfully, I do know what my PIN Number is. What I want to know though, is there anyway to stop my STB from asking me for this PIN Number, every time I happen to come across a channel that airs 15 and 18 certificate movies after 8pm, e.g. BBC2, The Horror Channel, et al?

My STB details are as follows:
Manufacturer / Model - Panasonic Silver TUS-DB30 (I think. Definitely a DB30, just not sure about the first bit! :eek:)
Model Number: 2.1.M
Version Number: 0F0302
Operating System Version: 1.2S4FB
EPG Version: 3.3b.5

Any help anyone can offer me, please let me know, as the Sky Customer Services people were a total waste of time and my sanity. :rolleyes: I've already tried doing a complete reboot of my STB (switching off the power, holding down the Backup button, and then switching the power back on again, keeping the Backup button held down until the four coloured lights come on, on the front of the box), but to no avail.

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as this PIN Number thing is doing my head in!

Cheers,

Pooch
(Normally seen in the Movies and TV threads of the AV Forums)

In another thread, someone suggested that if you turn the PIN requirement ON and then OFF for 15 ratings, the box doesn't ask for a PIN - I haven't tried this, so can't confirm. There is no work-around for the 18 restriction at the moment, but apparently Sky are working on one. Don't hold your breath :)

PoochJD said:
Any help anyone can offer me, please let me know, as the Sky Customer Services people were a total waste of time and my sanity. :rolleyes: I've already tried doing a complete reboot of my STB (switching off the power, holding down the Backup button, and then switching the power back on again, keeping the Backup button held down until the four coloured lights come on, on the front of the box), but to no avail.

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as this PIN Number thing is doing my head in!

All you can do is complain and threaten to cancel your sub. Asking for a PIN is deliberate default behaviour now .. but there does seem to be an additional problem with the PIN being asked for on seemingly a random basis, not just for 15 and 18 cert material outside of watershed hours.

I had a dialogue with customer services about that (and the other live pause and failed recording issues). They claimed it was introduced in response to customer requests but they are listening to feedback about it. I guess the more people who complain to them, the more likely they are to do something about amending the system. I would hope that they add a facility to complete disable PIN entry if desired.

Gav

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom