1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

the new sagem 45 inch (HD ready?)

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by skaps, Mar 13, 2005.

1. skaps

skaps
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone explain; I went into comet yesterday, i was talking with a very knowledgable sales man who said he couldn't legally tell me this telly was HD ready. Can anyone explain as to how anyone can claim what HD ready is if no-one know's what exactly sky are planning to do. Is this TV HD ready? If so, How?, Will it need a software upgrade? and what makes this different to a sagem Axium?

2. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,482
    It is a Sagem Axium. And it is HD ready, at least as HD ready as anything can be. It's got component inputs , it's got a DVI input with HDCP and that's about as HD compatible as things get.

Cheers
    Andy

3. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Sagem HD45 might be legally high def ready but IMO its not capable of showing a decent picture with high def material.
    A good SD source on my OptomaRD50 has a better picture.

4. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Is the picture really not up to scratch steve? Such a shame, it looked like it was going to be a brilliant DLP set.

5. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    Any TV can be HD Ready and have the "HD Ready" logo as long as it meets the requirements laid down by EITCA

Carrying the "HD Ready" logo is nothing to do with Sky and whatever their plans for HD might be (even though they influence the market, they don't own the HD Ready logo).

The HD45 does meet the EITCA requirements AFAIK

However, it may mean that Sagem have not paid the licence fee to use the "HD Ready" logo, so they cannot claim it complies with it, even thought it does. I cannot see the HD Ready logo on any of Sagem's marketing materials. Hence, they are probably reluctant to use the term HD Ready themselves for fear or misunderstanding. But actually it just confuses the poor punter even more I would have thought :suicide:

6. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First thing i noticed was how good the Sagem HD45 looked without the speakers i would rate it 2nd after the Sammy50" but then i got nearer & saw the picture :suicide:
    Seeing how popular this set seems to have been i can only assume most people have bought it without a demo and are unaware of how bad the picture looks compared to the better DLP sets
    My opinion is only based on the high def material as the TV input was very poor as was the set up of the set.

7. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    From what I have read its the screen thats causing alot of the problems.

8. philip41

philip41
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got to hold my hands up on that score :oops: , Although i did get them to hook it up via Sky, the pic did not look that bad (instore + all the lighting) But then it arrived, and well you know the rest.
    Mind you the only other screen i had to compare it with was the Tiny plasma ( anything looked better than that).
    Plus i was mainly comparing to other Plasma's in store on sky, and it was better than all of them.
    This is fast becoming a bad habit for me i think. :eek:

9. philip41

philip41
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Atleast For me it is.

10. hifiboom

hifiboom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have to agree with Steve. I saw Sagem HD50 and Sagem HD45 both with same high definition feed.

The HD50 kicks the HD45s butt when it comes to picture qual.

11. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Years ago I was thinkng of changing my old philips rear pro screen as it was too reflective. Its easy to change. There are companies that make rear pro tvs for large company displays out of front projectors in a specially buit cabinet. I was going to source the screen material from one of these companies. Just a thought

BT my set was out of warrenty

12. philip41

philip41
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I reckon i might mention this to Sagem, never no my luck, cant all be bad.

13. Silverfox123

Silverfox123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I took delivery of the Sagem 45 last week. Then took a couple of days figuring out what to put it on, in order that it was exactly at eye level.This is very important, as you know the DLP System has a very narrow vertical band in which to view.
    Having found an Ikea occasional table (designed to straddle a bed) to be perfect, I now find the picture from the 45 fed thru a Samsung hd745 dvd player, to be as perfect as you can get?

14. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Silverfox first i've heard that the DLP has very narrow vertical viewing band still if you're happy that's the main thing i'd advise not to go looking for faults & do not get your glasses fixed.

15. wishy

wishy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HERE, HERE!

Mine connected via digibox using monster sqart, and it is awesome. Setup in my conservatory / dining room ( 10 m long) and it is so PHAT guys!!!

I also agree with St ve, viewing angle crucial.

I defo find that below level is far superior than above.If that's what you mean St ve

^w^

16. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Philip, Its worth a try, some companies can be very helpfull. MY father has an infocus 7205 DLP HD2+ and it developed a noisey fan. Contacted infocus and the picked it up, shipped it to holland or germany, not quiet sure which one. The returned it within a week with a new upgraded lens, firmware, they evan serviced and cleaned the unit. Maybe they could use the screen from the HD50.

17. philip41

philip41
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Razor thanks for that m8, if i do get stuck with the TV ( Comet are not being to helpful ) i may consider that option, i will be pushing Sagem as far as i dare, to help aswell.

18. jerig

jerig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got mine delivered today (HD-D45).

First impressions hooked to sky+ up via RGB picture is a lot better than I could have hoped for.

DVD (JVC TH-SW9) hooked up via component to TV and optical to sky+ picture and sound superb.

Only playing with it today but first impressions are good.

On the stand front I bought the SAGEM it does look good however in my opinion it puts the set too high would suggest getting a lower one.

The manual that came with the 45 does actually have HDTV logo on it I have however not found one on the set itself.

19. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The viewing angle of the Sagem HD45 may be crucial i couldn't tell when i saw it in Comet's as they have the set's so high & i did not have my stepladder with me. I'm 5'9" and my Optoma RD50 on the Optoma stand is viewable with a good picture from most sources from 3 feet when i'm standing in front of it there is some loss of brightness of around 5%-10%
    I get full brightness standing from 7'6" even from 10" watching heartbeat with a PC TV digital card the picture is watchable but dims by about 20%

20. dazjmarshall

dazjmarshall
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Steve,

I orignally demo'ed the Sagem 50" back in January - got Comet to set it next to a Panasonic 42" plasma. Picture was great on the Sagem .. much better than the Panny IMO. HD demo was non-existent though as the Comet guy didn't manage to get it going !! I believe Philip41 saw it though (we bought our Sagem 45 on same day!).

At the time, Comet didn't have the 45, so I waited and demo'ed that against a Sony plasms on Component and DVI DVD signals - Component not as good on the Sagem as the Sony, but the DVI was just superb.

I found the picture on the Sagem 50 a little softer than the 45 - however, I like a sharper picture.

Interestingly, I don't seem to have experienced the faults that some folk here have posted .. not sure why. I am also wondering if some of the earlier adopters (such as Bruce1310 etc) have had these issues .. haven't seen any posts .... ??

Cheers,
    Daz

21. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The set i saw in Comet once i got past the frosty screen(very distracting )
    was softer than the Sagem50" & there was less detail peoples faces looked too smooth stubble looked painted on & this was high def material? i have honestly seen a better picture on my Optoma RD50 with Telewest as the source.
    I wonder if it's down to poor quality control on Sagem's part & some sets are better than others.Maybe some have been used to a poor plasma like the Tiny optimas & don't realise how poor the set is compared to the other DLP makes.
    Another possibility is the very poor demo's you get in Comet their TV feed is a joke.

22. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Comets poor set up issues.

Imagine going to a car dealer and buying a dirty car covered in bird poo with crisp packets and fag ends inside. It wouldnt happen.

23. philip41

philip41
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steve you say you got past the frosty screen, the whole point is IMO you can't and that is what is causing the softer image.
    I watched Super Volcano on BBC1 last night, and while i was watching it i started wondering what i had been complaining about, i then turned over to bbc2 and the softer and blurred faces and on other parts of the screen Reappeared.
    I really think it has more to do with the amount of background light in the programs themselves that make the frosting worse.

Most of the news channels are of excellent PQ, until they go to an outside broadcast, again natural light in the background and wammo Mr frosty is back.

24. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I meant that if i concentrated on the picture behind the frosty effect
    made an effort to ignore the frosty screen i would never be able to watch a programe without the screen spoiling it. I too think it is probably the screen
    diffusing the light & making the picture soft

25. philip41

philip41
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeh i get what you where saying now :thumbsup: .
    Still waiting for Sagem to contact me abotu the Green tint, i will be mentioning the frosty screen to them.

26. mattross

mattross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have noticed another problem with the HD-D45, when running it interlaced. I have a Pioneer 575 and when I play any DivX or XviD on it occasionally [a few times a minute on average] I get a white flash. It's briefer than a camera flash would be, but it's definitely there. It's not the source though, as if I switch the 575 to progressive it goes away. Noticed it on about 5 or 6 different files so far. So for the time being I've put mine back to progressive and bunged up the brightness and colour balance to correct the component progressive deficiencies.