The new REFERENCE 4K Disc

kingkarl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got in the post today the new IMAX ENHANCED 4K disc of A Beautiful Planet.
81q6cqYhsbL._SY445_.jpg

Just AMAZING picture quality and my GO TO 4K disc for a demo.
There are no words to describe what this looks like in full screen IMAX on my OLED !!
The best £20 I have spent in a long time.

Good to hear.
I tried to get one recently but HMV to my surprise had no stock.

I read somewhere that it’s only about 40mins long though.

Can you comment?

Last edited:
Yes 47 mins long but what a 47 minutes it is mate.

Sod it... still going to buy it then. Thanks pal.

81q6cqYhsbL._SY445_.jpg

There are no words to describe what this looks like in full screen IMAX on my OLED !!

karl you going to upgrade your amp to the imax enhanced ones? also did you get a response from the bbc regarding the lack of atmos on dynasties? you said you were going to ask the question. will check this disc out

karl you going to upgrade your amp to the imax enhanced ones? also did you get a response from the bbc regarding the lack of atmos on dynasties? you said you were going to ask the question. will check this disc out
Hi Mark .... no plans at moment mate to upgrade the amp pal everything is sweet.
As for Dynasties I have emailed them about 8 days ago and got diddly squat back mate.
Hope you are well pal and have a nice crimbo with some 4K goodness especially Jude in his budgie smugglers :eek:

im sitting tight on amps, until hdmi 2.1 is fully implemented, same for any upgrades on the tellies. have a good christmas mate!

81q6cqYhsbL._SY445_.jpg

Where is this available ?

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Ordered, thanks.

Be interesting to see if the latest Samsungs can put a better HDR picture than OLEDs and keep those blacks levels down as Phil said about the 8K set......which was that it had the best HDR image to date. For this kind of film, I'd say the OLED will do a better job of the black space but by the review, there is plenty of bright stuff which the Samsung will show better.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
81q6cqYhsbL._SY445_.jpg

Just took a 20 min walk down to the shops- everything was in crystal clear 8K then another 20 min walk home- again everything in super 8K thru my own eyes...and it didn't cost me 20 quid.

Just took a 20 min walk down to the shops- everything was in crystal clear 8K then another 20 min walk home- again everything in super 8K thru my own eyes...and it didn't cost me 20 quid.
......looking at the same shops you’ve seen before a million times without being told what your seeing via the sultry tones of Jen Law vs the seeing the Earth and ISS from outer space in quality rarely seen before and being told what your seeing via the sultry tones of Jen Law

Yeah, no contest. Order cancelled.:D

What happens in it? Just the planet going round and round?

“Just” the Earth going round and round.

I’m joking lol. That would be a little boring after a few minutes. But it’s all in the link further up

Blu-ray.com said:
it's primarily concerned with telling the story of how the ISS astronauts live in space and revealing the damage being done to the planet via pollution, the disappearance of the rainforests, and dwindling water supplies. Those environmental cautions are certainly not revelatory, but a few of the shots the film shows from space do help sell the point in a way that other climate alarms cannot. The film's real draws are more generalized images of Earth, both illuminated by the sun during the day and by man at night, and various scenes of the ISS astronauts performing their daily routines. The astronauts discuss the importance of organization and cataloging, hygiene and exercise challenges and requirements, prepping for space walks and removing the bulky suits upon return to the station, and fun and frivolous details like haircuts in space and leaving milk and cookies for Santa in the station's airlock, which as best as the astronauts can tell is the closest thing they have to a chimney on the station.

Came back to home after being away for crimbo to find this posted (a lot earlier than expected) through the letterbox

Oh my oh my. What a disc. Sadly cannot comment on the DTS-X soundtrack as I only have Atmos. But picture? Wow. Do t watch this if you a poor LCD TV. It’ll look crap.

But it’s not just the PQ. The simply the incredible images that have been filmed. The stark contrast of North and South Korea at night was quite something.

It’s certainly not just seeing the Earth go around and around. Lots of ISS stuff and how life is like on this amazing collaboration of countries. Life is almost “normal”. Considering how Ryanair are scared of an extra kilo, seeing what gets sent up via a rocket or few is funny.

Definitely recommend.

Although I did not appreciate at all being reminded of the Postcode Lottery at the beginning. I nearly took off into the street hoping to be run over.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom