The new receiver dilemma - newbie needs help

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Havve, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Havve

Havve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks,

First post by a newbie... be kind to me plz :)

My Cambridge 540 receiver broke down so I'm on the lookout for a new one and I'm just a little lost in the tech swamp. Would very much appreciate some educated input, as I've grown grey hair from trying to learn everything through research.

I'm a 80% tv/film and 20% music guy. I have B&W CM series (small CM1s), with CM sub and LM surround speakers in a 5.1 system currently. Possibly looking at upgrading to 7.1. TV is a Samsung F8005 55" (ordered but not received yet) and I have and old cambridge DVD89 that needs to go in favor of a BD-player. I currently don't run a NAS but I run a two zone Sonos system.

I have my eyes on Yammy RX-v775 or a730, Sony 1040, Onkyo 626, Denon X2000 and possibly Marantz SR5008 as I heard Marantz and B&W blend well together (I myself have no idea and yes, I know I need to go and listen before I buy :). I would love to hear any other recommendations you have with the B&W CM1 series and why.

So to the list of questions :)
    1. Since I run Sonos and at least intended to continue using Sonos for expanding multiroom music in our new bigger house, I shouldn't care about either Spotify or Airplay functionality in choosing a receiver? (I feed Sonos now to the receiver and use a Play5 in another living room and sync ITunes library and use Spotify). Would I benefit/gain in any way buy using Spotify/Airplay from the receiver itself?

2. As a function of the above, nor should I care about Zone 2/3 funtionality and adherent app support (Sony seems to be lacking here) unless I want a better sound experience than my Sonos system gives me outside of my 5.1 cinema room?

3. Given Sonos, should I care about Wifi at all in a receiver? (office/computer/router is on 2nd floor quite far from receiver so I don't expect to use ethernet). The receiver will only play audio files right?, and that would be covered by Sonos. Secondly, if I want mkv or other video formats played I will need to invest in a NAS or mediaserver and stream through a DLNA TV (like the one I have just bought) or a BD-player? I saw that many BD-players have Wi-Fi so I'm assuming that means I can pick up all video files straight from my hard drive without DLNA and mediaservers etc?

4. 4k upscaling and pass through seem like a sales pitch to me at first glance? I don't see this tech being available on TVs for some years to come at an average joe price point? I think all the above mentioned receivers have this functionality so it's a non-issue really.

So with the above reasoning maybe the Wifi functionality in Onkyo and Sony is really not important to me in this case and I should only go for the audio experience I'm looking for?

Sorry for the rambling but I hope you can make me a little more comfortable before pulling the trigger. Thanks!

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,434
    The network abilities of an AVR is only audio so if wanted to play films from a NAS or PC via a network you would need to do this via a player or TV and not the amp. Hence the network functionality will have limited use for you given your Sonos system.
    I believe you can buy a wifi dongle for most network receivers so should be able to get WiFi functionality on Yamaha or marantz if you really wanted it although I am not sure it will help you much. You could also the system that sends the internet via the power system if you wanted to get a wired network connection to the receiver anyway.
    B&W speakers are often recommended for warmer sounding receivers like Yamaha and Marantz although alot will depend on personal sound preference. Going to listen is your best option.

3. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,863
    Neither Marantz nor Denon provide a wifi dongle option. The nearest you'll get to this with a Marantz model is their RX101 Bluetooth module.