• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

The new philips 42pf9831d clearLCD is out in April and looks stunning.

six-6

Established Member

Attachments

• Ambilight Surround2.jpg
    Ambilight Surround2.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 264
K

kruimeltje69

Is it true that there will be no 37" version with ClearLCD this year ?
I thought only 32"and 42".

chambeaj

Prominent Member
Those are the US release dates, not the UK. September or later for the UK. HCC are way behind on the news front.

Also it looks almost certain the new ClearLCD sets (i.e 42") will not support 1080p signals.

chambeaj

Prominent Member
What a dilemma. Philips ClearLCD but with no support for 1080p. New SONY range coming which will support 1080p but still has conventional backlighting.

Its hard to believe that the 42PF9831D will only cost £2258!! If that price turns out about right then the SONY V Series is going to look seriously overpriced.

scrapbook

Distinguished Member
chambeaj said:
What a dilemma. Philips ClearLCD but with no support for 1080p. New SONY range coming which will support 1080p but still has conventional backlighting.

It sounds like you will want the model after this line up then. Say another 10 months?!

chambeaj

Prominent Member
scrapbook said:
It sounds like you will want the model after this line up then. Say another 10 months?!

Yes - I am really keen to get the 42" ClearLCD (subject to research/testing). But with Blu-Ray players coming in Sept. (i.e. Pioneer) which will output 1080p it seems a little foolish to buy a an expensive LCD set in 2006 which does not support 1080p (also I am looking to upgrade my Denon AVC-A1SE to the forthcoming AVC-A1XVA which has 1080p scaling/HDMI switching).

Gliese 581c

Distinguished Member
chambeaj said:
Yes - I am really keen to get the 42" ClearLCD (subject to research/testing). But with Blu-Ray players coming in Sept. (i.e. Pioneer) which will output 1080p it seems a little foolish to buy a an expensive LCD set in 2006 which does not support 1080p (also I am looking to upgrade my Denon AVC-A1SE to the forthcoming AVC-A1XVA which has 1080p scaling/HDMI switching).

Yeah it might be foolish for the people with no money. If your next purchase is the one thats to last you 10 years then your in the wrong game.

M

Mausse

chambeaj said:

Didn't you just bought a philips 37pf9830, let's say 5 months ago :eek: :eek:

Greets Mausse

marty2005

Prominent Member
The new toshiba 66 models, 42" and 47" are supposed to be 1080p.

Jet_Set_Jim

Established Member
From the Philips statement quoted in the Unbeatable.co.uk link:

"Research carried out by Philips indicates that picture quality is a leading factor when consumers are purchasing TVs"

I wonder how long it took their high powered researchers to come up with that cracking insight?

six-6

Established Member
Gotta agree with Adrian, if I am going to buy a premium LCD TV when bluray is about to be launched then I would expect it to accept the best signal available from my bluray player which I would aim to buy around the same time. Philips at the recent CES show did state that their bluray player would output a 1080p signal, so there could be some hope, but didn't mention what their LCD TVs would accept.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom