The new Panny MR-EX75/85

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by DaveP, Mar 24, 2006.

1. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Either the search function isn't working properly or there is no information on these new models!

Does anyone know where I can find out the technical details? The Panasonic site gives very little away!

Also, when will they be available and how much?

Thanks

2. zoolap

zoolap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
  3. wardrober

wardrober
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys, I'd already been to the japanese site and had a look at the specs.

I'd be interested to know if it upscales to 720/1080 on the HDMI output, ala Sony 910. I'd also like to know if it's priced like 910!

5. zoolap

zoolap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
  6. NinjaMonkeyUK

NinjaMonkeyUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    All new Panasonic DVD recorders (apart from the DMR-ES15) do 720p / 1080i upscaling through the HDMI socket. :)

7. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Hi

HDMI upscalling is just the latest trend on standard definition DVD players/recorders to drive more sales while Blu-Ray/HD DVD continue with arguments over copy protection and are delayed. Your LCD Panal/Plasma screen will do just as good a job of upscaling (possibly better) than a DVD Recorder.

HDMI for standard definition is a complete waste of time in my opinion and in some cases could result in a worse picture as the following could be happening:

1) DVD Recorder internally takes the component analogue signal, upscales and converts to HDMI.
    2) TV takes the HDMI signal (may even convert it back to component analogue), then rescales it again to match the panel resolution.
    3) You view a picture that may have been through a couple of analogue to digital then digital to analogue conversations more than normal introducing noise and artefacts, and has been rescaled twice rather than once, meaning more oddities and artefacts.

HDMI is for high definition, there is no point in using it for standard definition sources, but of course the manufacturers would like you to believe otherwise to drive sales on recorders with more features, and so a higher price that have a better profit margin.

Regards

Phil

8. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again to the last three posters, particularly PhilipL who certainly gives me something to think about!

I have read on these forums though, that the Sony 910 does infact produce a better DVB-T picture when connected by HDMI than when connected by scart. It also improves the picture from a Sky box when input via the Sony RGB scart and fed out via the HDMI.

I wish I lived in a large city where I could go to a showroom and compare all these things!

9. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Hi

It is probably the placebo effect, you can't improve or add what isn't there in the first place.

Also the TV itself may be sharpening (or over processing) the HDMI input, and with another TV the results may be completely different.

As for showrooms they don't often help much as a lot depends on the source, how the equipment is set up etc and you may find things look totally different in your own home. The differences people talk about here relating to picture quality are all subjective, and the picture quality differences between various DVD recorders and/or connection methods are a lot less than you may think from posts here.

You need to look for worthwhile features, i.e. hard-drive size, editing features, will it control your cable/satellite box for unattended recording, ease of use, digital or analogue tuner etc. Don't worry about HDMI, unless you have 2 HDMI connections on your TV, you will end up connecting the recorder via component anyway when High Definition arrives.:lesson:

New models are arriving from various manufacturers in the next few months so it may be good to hang and see what's new.

Regards

Phil

10. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With a high quality scaler (DVDO HD+ for example) you can indeed improve things somewhat. I have a Sweetspot capture card in my PC and running DScaler through that produces a vastly improved sky picture on my pj.

Like all things though, it probably depends upon how much Panasonic, and the others, spend on their scaler processors.

I'll let you know my experience if/when I get an upscaling recorder!

11. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Hi

A high quality scaler may give the perception of more detail and improve things. It also depends on just what upscaling is going on with your projector. With LCD/Plasma panels the inputs are converted to digital and they do a pretty good job of upscaling already.

The upscalers in DVD Recorders/budget DVD Players with HDMI are little different to the upscaler incorporated in a Plasma/LCD TV, this is what I am getting at, it is a marketing gimmick.

Regards

Phil

12. Monkeyboylee

Monkeyboylee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Phil, I have the Oppo dvd player (upscaler) and the difference between this and my old standard 480p dvd player is not just down to 'perception' - it is plain to see and the difference is like chalk and cheese! Just check the Oppo thread out for further confirmation of this. This uses the recognized faroudia chip, though, which performs brilliantly - I assure you. So, it can be done but the question is how good the Panasonic upscaling process/chip will be, if its the same as the s97 (or somethong like that) than probably give it a miss - IMO!

IMO - The Faroudia chip is the key to anyone planning to watch upscaled 720p signals at the moment until we get the full HD treatment!

13. zoolap

zoolap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
  14. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The spec is, word for word, identical to the 85 apart from the disk size!

If the pq is the same, I shall probably opt for the smaller disk.

15. zebdonk

zebdonk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The five-strong range of DIGA DVD recorders due from June all come with an impressive range of basic features, including integrated Freeview tuner, HDMI output and video upscaling. They also all record to DVD-R/RW, +R/RW and -RAM discs, have dual-layer recording ability and SD card slots for loading images from cameras or phones.

The differences are pretty distinctive too – the DMR-EX95V (£649) is the big boy, with 250GB hard drive and VHS recording in one, designed for remastering video collections to DVD. It can record from one format to another with a single button push too.

The DMR-EX75 (£399) and DMR-EX85 (£499) are both DVD/hard drive recorders and come with 160GB and 250GB hard drives. The DMR-EZ45 (£299) features both DVD and VHS decks while the entry-level DMR-EZ25 (£249) offers standard DVD recording and a DV input.

16. DRAMBO

DRAMBO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    There's no upscaling chip on the S97:nono:

17. mandm

mandm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    @ zoolap
    cheers m8, btw do you know where i can get the price for the sistes (european model), EH 55/65?
    thanks
    :thumbsup:

18. DaveG_UK

DaveG_UK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just out of interest, where did you find those prices and that they're coming in June?

19. DaveG_UK

DaveG_UK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just had a look at that page, and it seems to say they will read DivX video from CD-R/RW, but not in the UK. Have I read that wrong?

20. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's how I read it too! I don't know why they do this to us. You would think that a global player would be cheaper to produce with just the scarts to worry about for europe.

21. carcher

carcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    if the uk version won't play divx, i'll probably go for one of the new pioneers that apparantly will.