The new LG 65/55EF950V Flat Screen OLED TVs are finally here, or are they?

johnkm

Standard Member
Reaction score
I absolutely loath the stupid fad for curved screens, which suffer from magnified reflection problems and only provide the hyped ‘immersive’ experience if you are sat directly in front of it. So I have been waiting patiently for LG’s OLED flat version to appear, only to find that it’s only available from one retailer (Currys, who seem to have an exclusive contract with LG) and only at a main branch, which is not exactly local to us. Never the less, after confirming they had one, I went along for a demonstration, which started badly when they were unable to demonstrate 4K because of a technical problem with the HDMI signal feed. OK, I could go back another time and see that.
However, to demonstrate a TV properly, it is absolutely essential to see how well it performs with 3D Blue Ray discs, DVDs and TV (particularly SD TV), so I was dumbfounded to be told that this couldn’t be done, as:
1. They don't have a TV signal in the store, which is unbelievable considering at least 80% of many peoples viewing is via an aerial connection!
2. To make matters worse, they cannot even connect a Blue Ray player to the TV to play my test discs!! So I have no idea what SD/HD disc performance is like, particularly 3D (which with passive glasses, is one of the reasons for purchase).

This is ‘B’ ridiculous, surely they should have realised that this TV is going to appeal the more discerning and knowledgeable purchaser? So I don’t think that I am being unreasonable in stating that there is absolutely no way that I am going to spend £5000 on a high end TV, without being able to confirm that it functions to MY SATISFACTION, after all I am the ‘customer’!

I can only conclude from this that LG have made a serious marketing error in putting all their eggs in this particular basket, who don't seem to be up to the mark when it comes to selling a premium product like this.

That's why Currys gets a bad name, I have bough many TV's blind after reading up on them here. You have 14 days to send it back (beware of re stocking fees)
In fact my last TV is saw in the shop but ended up having light bleed from the sides so a demo is usually pretty useless from a normal shop.
My blind purchase is coming tomorrow from Currys as it happens to be a 950V.

I absolutely loath the stupid fad for animated avatars (don't know if it's an eye thing but it drives me nuts):facepalm::) At least I don't have to pay for them on here!

I absolutely loath the stupid fad for animated avatars (don't know if it's an eye thing but it drives me nuts):facepalm::) At least I don't have to pay for them on here!
It's not a fad, mine has been like that for at least 12 years. The dog is long gone now :-(

Sorry about your dog but it's the moving avatars I dislike not the ones with pictures of animals :)
I misread as animal avatars :facepalm:

Sadly, I would completely agree on both points. Nearly all TV stores have lighting that is far too bright to be able to do an in depth demo to see any dodgy issues near that occur near black level. You really need a proper demonstration room for premium TV's.
As it happens, I had to go over that way today and went into the store again in the hope that I could actually see it working this time. This time it was working and, as luck would have it, there was an LG guy there, so I was able to obtain a proper Blue Ray player demo this time. Even allowing for the excessive ambient lighting, this TV performed extremely well with all my test discs (which included 3D Avatar, a Video Hi 8 DVD transfer and DVE HD Basics, which has test patterns). I used Avatar for 3D tests and the performance was the best I have seen on a TV to date, with no sign of any cross talk issues on this sample. It is a pity this level of 3D performance has taken so long to arrive, it is certainly far better in all respects than any 4K TV I have tried with active glasses. The Hi 8 transfer wasn't bad considering and the test patterns were useful, but the black level tests obviously limited by the lighting level.
I was impressed enough to order and only hope that the sample I get is as good, but at least I ordered when the price had dropped significantly, to below £4K, with an extra 10% discount on top.

Re My Avatar:
Sorry not liked, but I had just come across Windows 8 on my wife's new laptop when I joined, and it seemed the most appropriate, as it sums up exactly what I thought about Win 8 and still do!!!
PS: Please don't suggest I upgrade to Win 10, as that's another very sore point, as it's going to take about 13 hours to download here!

Re My Avatar:
Sorry not liked, but I had just come across Windows 8 on my wife's new laptop when I joined, and it seemed the most appropriate, as it sums up exactly what I thought about Win 8 and still do!!!
PS: Please don't suggest I upgrade to Win 10, as that's another very sore point, as it's going to take about 13 hours to download here!
I think you need to take a chill-pill John. :D

Re My Avatar:

No worries, I find them amusing, yours very much so, they just seem to affect my eye-brain coordination and freeze my concentration. It's probably just a distraction thing, or an unwanted tumour :eek:

…..or an unwanted tumour :eek:

As opposed to? ;)

I agree johnkm. The level of expertiese in my local Curry's PC World is laughable and LG have definitely made a boo boo with that decision.

So I don’t think that I am being unreasonable in stating that there is absolutely no way that I am going to spend £5000 on a high end TV,

Well, if you'd bought it today it would be £3599, so you would have been right.:laugh:

I have a similar bug bear. There are quite a few different set top boxes (FreeView and FreeSat) and as far as I am concerned it's all about the look and feel of the interface (and remote). None of them are hooked up. I have to hope that someone posts a review on YouTube of any box which interests me.

My favourite box is my old Humax Fox-HDR. I have a Humax YouView and I dislike the interface and the remote. I recently bought a FreeSat HDR-1010s and it has the same damn remote. To make matters worse it has the same IR codes as the YouView! and the position of some buttons (such as the useful delete button - have moved). Again I'm not a fan of the interface and the way you make a selection.

Anyway the point is I would really of liked to play with the boxes connected to a TV before I purchased, but I know of nowhere where you can do this, so you have to buy "blindly".

Also I had the same "we have no FreeView TV feed" in Curries in Peterborough...talk about a wasted journey :thumbsdow

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom